Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:47:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware advice for 1-2 BitCoin a month for the newbs  (Read 1850 times)
Scyntech (OP)

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:07:10 AM

Being new to the bitcoin scene. What sort of hardware am I going to be looking to buy to have a steady flow 1-2 bitcoin a month? Currently I only have a 8800GT@ 28Mhash. I know I'll need much more than that, but I'd like to have a better idea of hardware I should be upgrading to. My whole PC honestly needs to be upgraded, but I figured start with the Vid card first.

AMD TriCore @ 3.5
4GB DDR3
cheapO Gigabyte Mobo
PC Power and cooling 750Watt PSU
8800GT - can't knock it to bad, it's been a trooper

What I'm currently at for upgrades:

Radeon R9 270 2GB - 1280 Stream Processors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121823

Radeon HD 7850 2GB- 1024 Stream Processors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150641

wondering if the difference in the Effective Memory Clock is going make that much of a difference between the two.

Yellowjacket 2.2 GH/s USB ASIC https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/asic/nanofury-yellowjacket-bitfury-usb-asic/

I used to be heavily in to overclocking and Folding@Home. I'm used to hours of adjusting and setting up software/hardware configs so I'm fairly confident with that aspect. I've spent the last few days looking through the forums for threads on this. So this has probably been asked hundreds of times and I'm not seeing it. =P

I've always been an Nvidia fanboy, but with this mining that obviously isn't going to help my end goal. Any suggestions, tips would be great.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 10:39:39 AM

there is no such a thing like "steady flow 1-2 bitcoin a month".
since btc diff is rising rapidly each peace of mining gear can mine you some coins from 3 to 4 months and after that it will not worth mining anymore whit it.
radeon 7850/r9 270 will earn you around 4LTC/month if we imagine that ltc diff will not rise any more and if you subtract power consumption it is not worth it. and if you consider that scrypt asic is basically around a corner it's extremely not worth it.

even if you have 5000-10000 dollars and you buy your self lets say 2TH miner from Black arrows and start mining in March you will need to buy new and more powerful miner 3-4 months after that to ensure your self a steady earning each month.
lifetime of mining gear is shorter and shorter with each diff jump.
every time diff jumps your earnings will be around 30% less.

sorry to say but if you don't have some serious money to invest you can forget about whole thing, at least steady flow 1-2 bitcoin a month.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:54:37 AM

I am looking for investors locally. No bites currently with the holidays and our wonderful economy. Good chance I'll probably not get even 1 investor but it's worth a shot.

Still be very new to mining. I've had a gauntlet of people telling me BTC is better! and LTC is better! but just glancing through Google for the last month, mining numbers vs hardware cost LTC is most likely where I'll end up. Never hurts to ask too many questions. Thanks for the response vpasic

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 01:36:40 PM

Currently you need about 150-180GH to make 2BTC a month. Next month that 150GH will make basically very little.  The month after that you'll be burning electricity for nothing.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:00:36 PM

I am looking for investors locally.

You need something like this https://www.kncminer.com/categories/miners if you plan on paying investors! Wink

You'd be better off mining Litecoins with the GPUs.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 04:28:26 PM

The only way to consistently make bitcoins is to constantly buy new HW and upgrade.

AceCobra1

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:53:08 PM

I think with those graphics card you showed, you prob won't even get 1/4 of a bitcoin a month even when mining in hashcows. Go mine something else
vpasic

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 09:29:22 PM

1/4 of a btc?Huh?
Dude wtf?Huh
He can earn about 4ltc (ltc is only coin profitable to mine beside btc) if we imagine static diff and static value of ltc
And that is around $80 or 0.125btc.

Tips: 1Ejj8eANy2PLZVwrWUczkbQ8kQY2JhKqp6
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:57:05 PM

Being new to the bitcoin scene. What sort of hardware am I going to be looking to buy to have a steady flow 1-2 bitcoin a month? Currently I only have a 8800GT@ 28Mhash. I know I'll need much more than that, but I'd like to have a better idea of hardware I should be upgrading to. My whole PC honestly needs to be upgraded, but I figured start with the Vid card first.

AMD TriCore @ 3.5
4GB DDR3
cheapO Gigabyte Mobo
PC Power and cooling 750Watt PSU
8800GT - can't knock it to bad, it's been a trooper

What I'm currently at for upgrades:

Radeon R9 270 2GB - 1280 Stream Processors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121823

Radeon HD 7850 2GB- 1024 Stream Processors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150641

wondering if the difference in the Effective Memory Clock is going make that much of a difference between the two.

Yellowjacket 2.2 GH/s USB ASIC https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/asic/nanofury-yellowjacket-bitfury-usb-asic/

I used to be heavily in to overclocking and Folding@Home. I'm used to hours of adjusting and setting up software/hardware configs so I'm fairly confident with that aspect. I've spent the last few days looking through the forums for threads on this. So this has probably been asked hundreds of times and I'm not seeing it. =P

I've always been an Nvidia fanboy, but with this mining that obviously isn't going to help my end goal. Any suggestions, tips would be great.

Since it is unfeasible to mine btc with a gpu I assume you want to mine altcoins and convert to btc. For 1-2btc/month return I would estimate you would need 4 video cards hashing at ~600kh/s each. You are looking at around a $2,000 usd investment to make ~$500/month. numbers pulled straight from my ass.. You can find the "real" calculations by googling altcoin mining calculator.
Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:25:50 AM

I mined LTC with my CPU today to compare with my vid card. I earned more with the AMD Tricore in a day mining LTC than I did in nearly a month mining BTC with the 8800GT. Terrible numbers, but it clearly shows the difficulties I'm looking at.

I was looking for hash rates for the two vid cards I picked out. From what I can tell, the R9 270 pushes higher numbers than the 7850. Prices are pretty close to each other. $180 give or take.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:43:10 PM

This may be feasible. http://cointerra.com/shop/ TerraMiner IV. I spoke with my boss about working out a deal. He's been interested about BitCoin and asked if I knew anything about it. I pointed him to that page. Would be pretty cool if he decided to invest with me. Anyone know about this company and if as good as it looks?

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:33:56 PM

This may be feasible. http://cointerra.com/shop/ TerraMiner IV. I spoke with my boss about working out a deal. He's been interested about BitCoin and asked if I knew anything about it. I pointed him to that page. Would be pretty cool if he decided to invest with me. Anyone know about this company and if as good as it looks?

Bud, you need to do more research, that company is fine, but they are also back dating until spring now. which means you'll be hard pressed to make an ROI.
You need to be in on the first level of pre orders for the latest Hardware to make it worth it.

Your essentially asking us "how can I spend 2 grand today and make a grand a month return". you can't.
Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 08:04:29 PM

Thanks takagari, I'm still keeping alt coins in mind. He was only familiar with BitCoin so I figured that was a decent page to show him. He tends to be one of those people that are interested until they see the cost of getting started.

Depending on my yearly bonus. I should be able to get the R9 270X by the end of the week. I've read 400-450 Khash/s is about the norm for those with LTC. Baby steps I guess. Anyway, thanks your help guys and your patience

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

takagari
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:40:51 PM

the new vid cards are 950-1000
if your budget's that low, just buy a few coins and hold onto them.
A decent Alt rig right now will cost 4 grand or more to get you 4Mh...
Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:35:02 AM

the new vid cards are 950-1000
if your budget's that low, just buy a few coins and hold onto them.
A decent Alt rig right now will cost 4 grand or more to get you 4Mh...

I have to build a new rig anyway.I do illustration work and some 3D modeling and my current rig was a cheap replacement until I could start rebuilding something better. Cheap hardware does not work well with 3D modeling software  Undecided  I could start buying coins, but the new rig still needs to be built regardless.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:03:53 AM

Stay away of Bitcoin ASIC hardware. It's closed circle of permanent investment,... up to the point when You are multiplied with zero... Huh
I'm small hobby miner, and everything I earned mining scrypt with GPUs I spent on ASIC. And ASIC hardware is loosing value as difficulty increases, and that is fast and furious...
My advice for You - small rig with 6 times 7790 (I believe You can power all of them with Your existing power supply) will give You quiet and cool 1.5 MHash/s scrypt mining speed. Using pools that are mining most profitable coin at moment (multipool, hashcows,...) will give You 0.8 BTC a month. Make them two for desired 1-2 BTC/month. That's now. If it keeps for next two months, You will return Your investment. Unless You start buying those small sexy ASIC miners... Roll Eyes

Scyntech (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:23:38 PM

Stay away of Bitcoin ASIC hardware. It's closed circle of permanent investment,... up to the point when You are multiplied with zero... Huh
I'm small hobby miner, and everything I earned mining scrypt with GPUs I spent on ASIC. And ASIC hardware is loosing value as difficulty increases, and that is fast and furious...
My advice for You - small rig with 6 times 7790 (I believe You can power all of them with Your existing power supply) will give You quiet and cool 1.5 MHash/s scrypt mining speed. Using pools that are mining most profitable coin at moment (multipool, hashcows,...) will give You 0.8 BTC a month. Make them two for desired 1-2 BTC/month. That's now. If it keeps for next two months, You will return Your investment. Unless You start buying those small sexy ASIC miners... Roll Eyes

I like the way you think sir! I just bought an Radeon HD 7850 2GB  Wink Next I'll be checking out motherboards. I have my eye on a few.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:44:08 PM

I like the way you think sir! I just bought an Radeon HD 7850 2GB  Wink Next I'll be checking out motherboards. I have my eye on a few.
Huh, missed a little bit. 7850 needs tweaking (undervolting) to became quiet and cool as natural 7790.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: