Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:31:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120438 times)
Mk2vr6

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 10:18:09 PM

Hi,

Got my PSU up and running now. Messy soldering, but solid joints and running very well - showing 12.25volts on all PCIe connectors.

Does anyone know how to make the PSU power on when the other one does? Can I use the green wire from the MOBO PSU to jump the two power on pins?

I'm using a Dell DPS-1520ab.

Thanks

Sorry to requote, but any ideas?

Cheers
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 11:41:56 PM

Got my 3 PSU's today. There were no AC power cords in the box so I will need to pick some up and give it a test tomorrow. Were they supposed to come with power cables I bought full kits?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 12:21:01 AM

Kit includes a PSU, interface board and 4 PCIe 6-pin cables. We've shipped units to US, Canada and six other countries; some folks run on 110, some on 220, and between different countries and  volt/amp socket ratings there's half a dozen different cords to keep track of so that part's up to you. The PSU's mains socket mates to a standard cable anyone with extra computer parts is probably gonna have lying around, or could be found at a mom-and-pop computer store for a couple bucks if necessary. Worst case, Walmart or the RatShack probably have 'em in stock for a stupid markup.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
pmorici

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 03:35:23 AM

Got my 3 PSU's today. There were no AC power cords in the box so I will need to pick some up and give it a test tomorrow. Were they supposed to come with power cables I bought full kits?

Check out monoprice you can get a heavy duty (14 gauge) 6 ft. PC power cable for like 3 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&fq=Attributes:Gauge||14AWG
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 04:54:21 PM

Check out monoprice you can get a heavy duty (14 gauge) 6 ft. PC power cable for like 3 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&fq=Attributes:Gauge||14AWG

I will pick up something local. It would have been nice if this was mentioned so I could have prepared in advance. Making assumptions about what extra gear the consumer may have lying around is not good.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 05:50:48 PM

Making assumptions about what's not explicitly stated in the product description goes the same way. Truth be told, I think this is the first time anyone's mentioned power cords. I'll see what I got laying around, might be able to start including them in the standard kit package, or as an option for $1 or something.

Not including a power cord is actually a result of *not* making assumptions about the customer.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Abraxas601

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 07:38:36 PM

First assumption of any business owner,

1) You're customers are idiots.  If they were smart they wouldn't need you.

This idiot looks forward to your products.

Grin
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 10:41:38 PM

Yeah I will freely admit that I am definitely not my target customer, because I'm building the stuff instead of buying it. I used to work in electronics refurb, so the two main customers were business owners looking to get discounted hardware, and cheapskate idiots. Needless to say I preferred communicating to the former. I'd rather not imply that people within the bitcoin economy are idiots.

MrCryptastic

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 12:46:54 AM

Quote from: sidehack
We're not using junk parts, we're not building them in a Chinese sweatshop.

Thank you, sidehack.  This means a lot to a fellow American (and fellow Missourian, coincidentally) AND it gives me confidence I'm getting a quality product made by someone with some professional pride.  Not someone paid on a per-widget basis, with no regards to QC....or my safety.

Quote from: sidehack
Not including a power cord is actually a result of *not* making assumptions about the customer.

You're doing the right thing in my opinion.  My 9-5 is in equipment sales and I have to tell you, the variety of cords is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when you try to ASK the customer what they need and they don't know the difference between a C13 connector and 5-15P, 6-15P and the (very foreign to me) CEE 7/7 for Europe and the BS1363 for the UK.  You also have length requirements...some people want short cords to keep things tidy, others need long.  Make it clear you're not including cords and save yourself the headache.

Looking forward to following your development here and ordering some boards for this huge stack of power supplies I almost sent to the e-recycler until I found this thread.  The cost of your board is substantially better than sourcing ATX supplies AND dealing with the ugly cabling.  I also look forward to interfacing an Arduino with this board eventually for advanced monitoring and control.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 01:11:15 AM

Actually we are paid on a per-widget basis, but with a mandated quality control. Part of the reason I mandate quality and only use solid components is because I worked in refurb for a few years. I got pretty tired of seeing the same parts and the same brands failing over and over again, knowing that the companies designed them to fail like that shortly after warranty ran out. Buying the cheap garbage parts saved them ten cents per unit up-front, and got them another sale two years later when the customer had to replace it. I'd rather get customers who come back because the thing I sold them still freakin' works and they want more, than because it worked well enough until it exploded but for some reason they still trust my brand. I'd rather lose a customer because they don't need to replace the thing I sold them, than because it burned up and they hate me now.

MrCryptastic

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:36:52 AM

You make margin on a per-widget basis; I was making reference to a worker drone in a factory slapping together widgets and getting compensated on how many he slops together in a 12 hour day.  The latter doesn't care about the longevity or success of the product, or if it catches my home on fire.

I couldn't agree more on your business practice.  Kudos to you.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2014, 03:51:10 AM

No, really. Assembly guys (myself included) are paid a fixed amount per board and per cable assembled. But the guys assembling the boards are guys I trained to do it right, and know that I test and inspect every board they turn in before it gets shipped and, starting with this batch, before they get paid for the work.

MacStone

Activity: 152
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 04:31:08 PM

Hi,

At the expence of sounding like a newbee, i am a bit at a loss.
After browsing trough the comments, i am still trying to figure out where to get the 3.3V line from on the DPS-2000BB.
AFAIK, pci-e slot draws 12v and 3.3v.
I am using the USB RISERS - https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/cables/usb-pcie-riser-powered-molex-60-cm .
Apart from the standard pci-e 6 AND 6/8 PIN SETUP (12V), it also uses 4 pin molex which carries 12v G G 5v.
However, according to this:
Except for a potential maximum 10W from the PCIe +3.3V slot, all remaining power consumption will be on a +12V output.
there should be 3.3v comming from the molex and there isnt.
I can only conclude that instead of 3.3v it uses the 5v from the molex in the same way.

The PCIe X16 slot supplies 75W of which 10W comes from the +3.3V output (3.0A)

The following questions comes to my mind:
1 - How many WATT/AMP can i pull from the DPS-2000BB 5V line ??
2 - If not, can i use a molex from PSU powering the RIGS ?

I do apologize in advance if this has been covered before.

Cheers,
Mac

repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:17:37 PM

Hi,

After browsing trough the comments, i am still trying to figure out where to get the 3.3V line from on the DPS-2000BB.
I am using the USB RISERS - https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/cables/usb-pcie-riser-powered-molex-60-cm .
Apart from the standard pci-e 6 AND 6/8 PIN SETUP (12V), it also uses 4 pin molex which carries 12v G G 5v.
Except for a potential maximum 10W from the PCIe +3.3V slot, all remaining power consumption will be on a +12V output.
I can only conclude that instead of 3.3v it uses the 5v from the molex in the same way.

Cheers,
Mac

It uses a voltage regulator to make 3.3v.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 06:54:24 PM

According to the supply label, DPS-2000BB gives only 100mA on a 5VSB. There is no 3.3V line intrinsic to the supply.

Our breakout boards will be designed with a 3.3VSB derived from the 5VSB line, and a 5V2A auxilary output, same as the D750 boards.

Also I'm working on a prewired one-panel setup for the D750 boards. Plug in three supplies, get 2200W of load-balanced power with a single switch and single fan speed control. All relevant signal lines are tied to implement single-switch and single-knob operation as well as current sharing, and the busses are tied with dual 12AWG lines to ensure a low-resistance high current path between supplies for unevenly distributed loads. Header pins are still available for 3.3VSB and 5V aux lines, as well as current sense and a master EON so you can turn all three supplies on and off simultaneously from a remote signal. Anyone interested, let me know.

MacStone

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:22:52 PM

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

ok, do you mean the usb-pcie-riser uses a voltage regulator ?
That would mean i would use the molex as follows: 12v G G 12V instead of 12V G G 5V and the riser does the rest.
Or do i need to adapt one to get the 3.3v from the 12v line ?

Cheers,
Mac

repairguy

Activity: 252

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:00:51 AM

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

That would mean i would use the molex as follows: 12v G G 12V instead of 12V G G 5V and the riser does the rest.

Cheers,
Mac

Yes, the usb riser has a regulator on the 16x board that plugs into the bottom of the power supply.  I do not know right off of my head if it converts the 5v to 3.3 or the 12v to 3.3 but logic would tell me it uses the 5v, otherwise it would probably get really hot. You would need to look at the regulator and make sure that it can accept 12v input and then see how hot it gets if you feed it with 12v. The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:03:33 PM

The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.

Linear regulator instead of switching? Lazy bums.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 01:22:27 PM

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Cheers,
Mac

Yes, the usb riser has a regulator on the 16x board that plugs into the bottom of the power supply.  I do not know right off of my head if it converts the 5v to 3.3 or the 12v to 3.3 but logic would tell me it uses the 5v, otherwise it would probably get really hot. You would need to look at the regulator and make sure that it can accept 12v input and then see how hot it gets if you feed it with 12v. The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.

looking at my usb riser right now - yes the 5V is used, and is connected to the flat 3-pin chip, presumably to drop down to 3.3V as mentioned.

putting 12V through that is a TERRIBLE idea.

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
MacStone

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:05:28 PM

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Cheers,
Mac

looking at my usb riser right now - yes the 5V is used, and is connected to the flat 3-pin chip, presumably to drop down to 3.3V as mentioned.

putting 12V through that is a TERRIBLE idea.

It might sound like terrible idea, however, after looking at the data sheet, i found that max input current is in fact 12V.
It does get quite hot though.
Considering that u only connect the GFX cards to a single PSU, and the the 12V line is not an option, where do i get a 5V or a 3.3V line from if not supplied by the PSU ?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: