Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:27:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs  (Read 120482 times)
claudesdad

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:45:49 AM

I just tested a modification on the next batch of boards that should give touchy but reliable fan control to a wider variety of supplies. Just tested it on N750P-S0, N750P-S1, Z750P-00 Rev A00, A01 and A02. They're boards we should start shipping probably Wednesday.
(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503423.msg5754835#msg5754835)

Yep, it's been addressed and tested.

As for running on no fan, I don't recommend it. I tend to run them on a low setting still above the bottom-end of the adjustment. The only supply I've ever had fail on me was partly disassembled, and getting almost no airflow over the components at the DC end (which are used to direct fan exposure); after running probably 85-90% load (two custom-overclocked Cubes) for a little short of a week it powered down for good. Run super-low-fan if you like, and it might work just fine forever, but officially I don't recommend it. At full load you need to be able to dissipate between 70 and 80W of waste heat.

I took 2 of the Dell supplies - and two of your boards and used them to power one S1 Antminer (one supply to each S1 board).   I forced the fan speed low by jumping the proper pins and it's been running like that for a couple of days now.  The supplies stay cool to the touch.

This S1 is not overclocked - so I believe it's probably pulling about 180 watts per board.  At that load the PSU is barely working. I was trying to keep the fan noise down and it seems to work fine.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:59:35 AM

On the board whose fan speed appears to have stopped working, make sure it's set to internal instead of external control. If it's set to external, the knob signal will be blocked from the PSU and it won't do a thing.

As for parallel, I have tested three supplies tied together working flawlessly to power five overclocked Ants. Within the next few days I'm going to test up to at least six in parallel and see how they behave. I'll be using the new V0.5 boards so I have accurate current measurements from each board.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Mk2vr6

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:17:31 AM

Hi,

Got my PSU up and running now. Messy soldering, but solid joints and running very well - showing 12.25volts on all PCIe connectors.

Does anyone know how to make the PSU power on when the other one does? Can I use the green wire from the MOBO PSU to jump the two power on pins?

I'm using a Dell DPS-1520ab.

Thanks
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:07:19 PM

I found the Ants only pull a bit over 200 watt at startup
The fan on the Ant starts full speed and then lowers after a short time
When they are hashing it drops indeed to around 180 watt if not overclocked
Total power used on a non overclocked S1 is around 360 watt consistent
When overclocking i see the Ants pull a lot more up to 525 watts.
But i already know many of those high overclocked Ants will not have a long life, as i see alot of people post their Ant suddenly stopped working or was pumping out errors.

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:34:56 PM

Is that DC power, or power at the wall? If DC power, your numbers disagree with what I've found. If at the wall, what conversion efficiency is your supply operating at? What level of overclock?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=476645.0 might be more appropriate for discussion on that topic.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
conderus

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:47:11 PM

Hello.

Have got someone pins schema /diagram form Dell 2950 ? I don't know which pins I schould short circuit to power on PSU,and which connectors are 12V and GND.I can't find this schema.Best Regards.
mitak64

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:05:16 PM

Check here : http://www.raptortechnique.com/12vpower.htm

It's about the 2850, but I think the pinouts are the same.

"Power On: To turn on the power supply you need to solder B1 to A1 and run a wire to B6"

conderus

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 08:36:36 PM

Thank's a lot,mitak64!
pmorici

Activity: 479
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:01:34 PM

Here is a board I built for my DPS-800GB, It hooks up to a Raspberry Pi so I can monitor the supply's status and power cycle it remotely...

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 04:15:20 PM

Snazzy. We'll have DPS-800 boards soon, I just need to find time to prototype external current-share and finish PCB design. DPS-2000 boards took priority.

Kushedout
Legendary

Activity: 1123
Merit: 1000

SaluS - (SLS)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 12:49:38 AM

Could this used for Gridseed devices?

repairguy

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:26:55 AM

Could this used for Gridseed devices?

Yes, but you will have to buy pigtails.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-pcs-pk-2-1x5-5-mm-Male-plug-12V-DC-Power-Pigtail-for-CCTV-Security-Camera-/181102849270?pt=US_Surveillance_Accessories&hash=item2a2a922cf6
iGOSHi

Activity: 11

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:58:19 AM

Could you make a board for DPS-1520AB?
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

If it's pin- and signal-compatible with DPS-2000BB, then technically yes. But it takes a lot of time and resources to design, test and manufacture so if I do make a board specifically for that supply you shouldn't expect it for three or four months.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:29:57 PM

Is there a rough timeline for completion of the 2000BB boards?  I am still interested.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 07:04:18 PM

I'm gonna be checking over the initial PCB design today or tomorrow, hopefully we can get a quick-turn small batch in and tested by the end of next week. It'd be probably four weeks after that before we had any of a full batch to start shipping, so six weeks is probably a minimum wait. The DPS-2000BB will incorporate the same 10-pin IO header and functionality (external-on, current meter, 3V3SB, 5V, SHR etc), and a built-in fan controller with manual/external speed adjustments and headers for two 4-pin fans. We're designing it for a 200A rating, which is more than the supplies are rated for but not more than they can handle. Once the test PCBs come back we'll stress-test them for stupidly high loads and make changes where necessary for the full batch, which will probably take a couple days. Starting in about six weeks we'll have at least one of the minions working full time, and hope to have some better shop space, so once we get to that point stuff should start rolling out quicker than it has been. We've done the whole thing so far on basically two people doing three people's worth of man-hours, and that's for the entirety of design, manufacture, website maintenance, order handling, inventory management and packing. It's been busy and I'm really looking forward to still being busy for a long time - but also having help. Busy means revenue, revenue plus help means expansion, expansion means y'all get better stuff, more stuff and all of it gets done faster.

klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 08:31:40 PM

I am following closely, but waiting for better prices. At $45 for the board, $12 for the cables, and $10-15 for the power supply (usually 1 in 3 is a dud from the recycling place) I am looking at about $75 plus shipping delays for a 750W 80+ silver equivelent supply (I could say gold, but when they are already used for years its likely they no longer reach the initial efficiency spec)

$75/750W isnt bad - but I can buy a 750W GOLD ATX supply for $110 that is purchased locally and comes with a warranty and is "safer" (i use quotes).

Hoping for DPS-800GB version soon - ive had really bad luck with these supplies not handling conversion well (either something i am doing, or simply a high rate of DOA) and a plug-play board would make testing them a lot more streamlined. Do they need a load to register 12V? A couple of mine will switch on but only provide 12V for a split second before dropping to 0.16V

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 11:09:19 PM

One of the benefits of these boards is, if your $110 supply goes out you're out the supply and all the wiring. If the $12 supply goes out you get another $12 supply and don't touch the cabling at all. Plus you can actually get 750W out of them, sustained, which destroys most 750W consumer-grade supplies inside a few weeks, if not days. If you want to have a backup $110 supply to swap out quickly, it costs you $220 up front. If you want a backup for these, it costs an additional $12 up-front and the swap is unsocket-resocket instead of pull-and-rerun-all-cabling.

Better prices on these aren't really gonna happen unless you want to buy them 50 at a time. We're not using junk parts, we're not building them in a Chinese sweatshop. The margins right now aren't that great, enough to stay in business and we're trying to grow a little but it's slow. Manufacturing these boards is two guys' full-time jobs and a couple guys on part-time, and since we don't do preorders and ship from standing inventory, all parts and labor are paid for out-of-pocket before any orders are even placed let alone payment cleared and deposited. It's not easy but we've started the whole thing from zero and are trying to keep expanding with other solid products - not just support resources for bitcoin miners, we're working on some custom desktop hardware and nixie-display stuff one of these days when time and resources allow.

Also working on a DPS-800GBA board. I don't believe those have a current-share interface, at least not one that I've been able to find, so I have to build that circuit separately. DPS-2000BB dev is higher priority right now though.

1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
March 24, 2014, 12:16:16 AM

One of the benefits of these boards is, if your $110 supply goes out you're out the supply and all the wiring. If the $12 supply goes out you get another $12 supply and don't touch the cabling at all. Plus you can actually get 750W out of them, sustained, which destroys most 750W consumer-grade supplies inside a few weeks, if not days. If you want to have a backup $110 supply to swap out quickly, it costs you $220 up front. If you want a backup for these, it costs an additional $12 up-front and the swap is unsocket-resocket instead of pull-and-rerun-all-cabling.

THIS, this is exactly why I choose server PSUs.

nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 26, 2014, 03:32:34 PM

I'm gonna be checking over the initial PCB design today or tomorrow, hopefully we can get a quick-turn small batch in and tested by the end of next week. It'd be probably four weeks after that before we had any of a full batch to start shipping, so six weeks is probably a minimum wait. The DPS-2000BB will incorporate the same 10-pin IO header and functionality (external-on, current meter, 3V3SB, 5V, SHR etc), and a built-in fan controller with manual/external speed adjustments and headers for two 4-pin fans. We're designing it for a 200A rating, which is more than the supplies are rated for but not more than they can handle. Once the test PCBs come back we'll stress-test them for stupidly high loads and make changes where necessary for the full batch, which will probably take a couple days. Starting in about six weeks we'll have at least one of the minions working full time, and hope to have some better shop space, so once we get to that point stuff should start rolling out quicker than it has been. We've done the whole thing so far on basically two people doing three people's worth of man-hours, and that's for the entirety of design, manufacture, website maintenance, order handling, inventory management and packing. It's been busy and I'm really looking forward to still being busy for a long time - but also having help. Busy means revenue, revenue plus help means expansion, expansion means y'all get better stuff, more stuff and all of it gets done faster.

Ill be in for 4 of these when they are ready. The 750 watt PSU is too small for my needs.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 »
  Print  

Jump to: