Bitcoin Forum
September 19, 2024, 10:40:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Forum Newbie - 2 Requests for Comments  (Read 580 times)
CitizenPete (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 03:56:05 PM

Can only post in Newbie section per Forum restrictions, so here I will post.  Just started into Btc again this week via Coinbase link to bank account.  Also installed Bitcoin-Qt Wallet on Laptop, however don't trust laptop so backups are critical.  Used Bitcoin years ago but PC croaked (see below)...

Questions:

1)
What are some of the best known protocols / methods / suggested procedures for storing and backing up Btc wallets, or Btcs in general for 1)  on going use for transactions, 2) secure archive storage (savings in Btc).

2)
I originally got into Bitcoin years ago and I am one of those who has a Btc wallet on old (gaming) desktop that is currently out of commission (power supply died I believe).  Could be a few Bitcoins in that wallet, so I figure it's worth the effort o fix the PC and go "treasure hunting"..
So to salvage the old wallet I need to A) get the PC working; B)remember the password(s) to get to the wallet; and C) Find the Btc wallet and try to remember the password to get it open.   I guess retrieving the original old wallet file (wallet.dat if I remember correctly) without the original wallet software is worthless?  Will the old wallet software update the block chain  correctly ? (don't even remember what I the original wallet was that I used)?  Any suggestions before I screw the pooch on this?

Thanks for and and all constructive feedback.

Peace.
CitiZenPete
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 05:03:57 PM

The wallet data is stored in a file called wallet.dat. Its location depends on your OS. You don't have to repair the computer to get the file -- pull out the disk and install it in your current computer. You can import the old wallet file into current wallet.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 12:04:29 AM

What are some of the best known protocols / methods / suggested procedures for storing and backing up Btc wallets, or Btcs in general for 1)  on going use for transactions, 2) secure archive storage (savings in Btc).
You might want to look into Armory: http://bitcoinarmory.com/.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: