Bitcoin Forum
October 09, 2024, 03:46:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google analytics on Bitcoin.org  (Read 2059 times)
gmaxwell (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 8702

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 07:50:41 PM

I dunno if anyone will care, but Google Analytics was added to Bitcoin.org today without any prior notice.  https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/issues/285

This was somewhat controversial when it was proposed in the past.

If you don't want a third party tracker keeping a record of your visits, it would probably be best to not visit right now. ... presumably anyone who actually cares has completely blocked Google Analytics already, but I thought wide disclosure of this would be prudent since it even took me by surprise, and I follow all the changes to Bitcoin.org.
BitCoinDream
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1209

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 08:11:20 PM

who is going to be the owner of the gmail account associated with the analytics ? Saivann ?

Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2013, 09:38:14 PM

Why not use Piwik? At least it's free and open-source software, and you can run your own instance, instead of having some third party get the data.

I've been using it for years. It's high quality.

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
blockgenesis

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.org maintainer

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 10:24:09 PM

I made this change (and opened an issue to make sure anyone watching the repository was aware of that change, I didn't intend to hide anything)

FWIW, this was already discussed before:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin.org/issues/121

While I think it is particularly useful, Analytics wasn't setup at the time and I agree with this decision. I am OK with gmaxwell request to "follow the rule" and always use pull req. I just didn't think there would be issues, especially given that this was a temporary measure to help us moving to a dedicated server, which actually improves privacy (no more GitHub pages).

As for getting statistics, once there is a dedicated server, I thought it would be great to have our own statistics (and I personally have no problem making this information public if others agree). Yet, make sure we periodically purge IP logs and never leak this information.

Donation: 18XXXQs1vAQGBAZbXKA322r9Zy1nZac2H4
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: