Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:05:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why switching to mBTC won't increase Bitcoin price.  (Read 3460 times)
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:42:19 PM

m is standard for milli
µ is standard for micro, but if you cannot type a µ character then u is standard for micro
n is standard for nano

#1 reason for using nBTC is that it will make everyone will feel very rich because they can easily own millions of nBTC!

Windows Hold alt and pres 230... in case anyone ever wanted to know

I cant do it
Yes you can, you just need a better keyboard. Grin

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e521

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:49:11 PM

Whether mBTC is a nasty move to increase the price or not, I think we should adopt it.
It's much easier for everybody to spend in units and not in 1/1000 or a unit, expect if you are a nerd.
I have no problem myself but I understand that others might do and this can easily help them.
So why not?

kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:54:41 PM

m is standard for milli
µ is standard for micro, but if you cannot type a µ character then u is standard for micro
n is standard for nano

#1 reason for using nBTC is that it will make everyone will feel very rich because they can easily own millions of nBTC!

Windows Hold alt and pres 230... in case anyone ever wanted to know

I cant do it
Yes you can, you just need a better keyboard. Grin

Alt+230? Huh? Does alt gr + M not work (almost) everywhere? I've been using that forever on all sorts of systems.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 11:56:57 PM

Why would it push the price up? Simple. Each mbtc would be sold for $1 and that would push the final btc price much higher.

The only way 1 mBTC would sell for $1 is if one whole BTC is *ALREADY* priced insanely high.  So no ... your argument doesn't work. 
We're discussing right now.  When one mBTC is worth $x.xxxxxxx1. 
We are not discussing 100 years from now when an mBTC is priced at $1.00
I want to know how it gets to that point.

Next?

I can easily get $1 for mbtc on ebay

Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:54:42 AM

Why would it push the price up? Simple. Each mbtc would be sold for $1 and that would push the final btc price much higher.

The only way 1 mBTC would sell for $1 is if one whole BTC is *ALREADY* priced insanely high.  So no ... your argument doesn't work.  

Next?

The change to mBTC won't in itself change the value of Bitcoin.

The belief is that the general public is badly informed (not a bad belief).

As others have mentioned, the general public may think that you can only buy a whole Bitcoin.

You and I know this to not be the case but the general public don't know this so they don't want to plop down $700 for a Bitcoin.

Now, if you denominate things in mBTC, the purchase price now __appears__ to be $0.70.

Nothing has changed, however, the same general public will now feel it's much more affordable and buy up, say, $7 worth. Heck, some might even go as far as $70.

This opens up the market to the less informed people, resulting in more Bitcoins being bought.

Sure, it's not a huge volume but it's going to be some amount (the long tail).

It's this additional fiat flowing in that will increase the Bitcoin exchange rate. By how much is anyone's guess. It all depends on how many people believe that you can only buy whole Bitcoins AND it's the high price that's preventing them from buying.

Hope that explains things for you.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 12:58:50 AM

The only way 1 mBTC would sell for $1 is if one whole BTC is *ALREADY* priced insanely high.  So no ... your argument doesn't work. 

Next?

The change to mBTC won't in itself change the value of Bitcoin.

The belief is that the general public is badly informed (not a bad belief).

As others have mentioned, the general public may think that you can only buy a whole Bitcoin.

You and I know this to not be the case but the general public don't know this so they don't want to plop down $700 for a Bitcoin.

Now, if you denominate things in mBTC, the purchase price now __appears__ to be $0.70.

Nothing has changed, however, the same general public will now feel it's much more affordable and buy up, say, $7 worth. Heck, some might even go as far as $70.

This opens up the market to the less informed people, resulting in more Bitcoins being bought.

Sure, it's not a huge volume but it's going to be some amount (the long tail).

It's this additional fiat flowing in that will increase the Bitcoin exchange rate. By how much is anyone's guess. It all depends on how many people believe that you can only buy whole Bitcoins AND it's the high price that's preventing them from buying.

Hope that explains things for you.

And at $1 it still won't feel expensive, gearing them up for $1,000 mbtc

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: