Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:28:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IF the SEC considers Ethereum as a Security, are ERC20 tokens derivartives?  (Read 84 times)
benchi10 (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:35:11 PM

There is a battle in the USA to what is Ethereum considered as (utility/security).

I am not so knowledgeable of what a derivative is but according to invetopedia:

What is a 'Derivative'
A derivative is a financial security with a value that is reliant upon or derived from an underlying asset or group of assets. The derivative itself is a contract between two or more parties based upon the asset or assets.

Read more: Derivative https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/derivative.asp#ixzz5FUTbM7WS
Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

ERC20 token are reliant on Ethereums smart contracts, what would be the legal term for them?
IgorShumilo

Activity: 518
Merit: 105

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 03:54:02 PM

At the moment there is still no official information, so do not be nervous and worried. Personally, I'm sure that Tokens on the basis of the Etherium will not be recognized as security.
ariaalex

Activity: 196

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 08:32:14 PM

As far as i know there is no official information about this. So people can be relax.
megaflux7

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 08:58:09 PM

I thought this was a FUD spread by some few eth enemies. Anywhere the ethereum team already allayed the fear of the community that it did proper legal consultations and it is confident ethereum is not a security.
skip60

Activity: 630
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 15, 2018, 09:05:30 PM

no matter wheter eth is security or no, there will be more regulations in cyptomarket soon

after regulations, big money from wall street will start to accumulate in to crypto market

ICO is something like buying some shares of a company from stock market

so better beready for regulations in the near future
salinagomez

Activity: 266

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 06:02:50 AM

don't get paniced please, is these informations are official? you shoud get to know thay these are true or not. i hae some issues about it. so bit confused.
Xynerise

Activity: 322
Merit: 363

39twH4PSYgDSzU7sLnRoDfthR6gWYrrPoD

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:11:06 AM

Although Ethereum is not likely to be deemed a security since it didn't have an ICO -- ETC (the original blockchain did). Ethereum is a fork of Ethereum classic.
Even if it were deemed a security, ERC20 tokens won't be termed derivatives, they're either going to be termed securities themselves (based on ICO terms and the precedent the SEC has set for other ERC20 ICOs), or a new asset class by themselves.
platinov_and

Activity: 364
Merit: 110

SPOKKZ

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 07:22:34 AM

It seems to me that such news is written by people who are not profitable that ETH has grown. I will never believe in such information until I see the message from official sources! I do not think we need to panic and it's just a fake news!

────────  SPOKKZ  ────────  
A COMMUNITY-POWERED FILM & TV BLOCKCHAIN ECOSYSTEM
────────  Twitter ⬝  Telegram ⬝   Facebook ⬝  Linkedin ⬝  Medium   ──────── Join Pre-Sale
kayakcrypto

Activity: 182

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 12:37:30 PM

You should wait. They have not yet declared it for security. I don't think that it is going to be a derivative.
danbitcoin1

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 12:39:26 PM

I highly doubt they'll consider ETH as a security but if they do then I expect the answer would be yes.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: