Bitcoin Forum
October 06, 2024, 11:14:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are change addresses on blockchain?  (Read 783 times)
jimmypagey (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2013, 11:53:27 PM

Under custom send, should I specify the change address as the 1 and only address itself that I am sending bitcoins to? does this mean that  if I had 12 bitcoins in my blockchain.info hot wallet and I wanted to send 5 bitcoins to a paper wallet address, the other 7 bitcoins go to  a change wallet?  Huh Im really confused because I thought the amount of bitcoins you have goes untouched, why would they turn into "change"??
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:02:30 PM

'Change Addresses' are a rather confusing feature of the original bitcoin client.  When bitcoin-qt sends coins it doesn't just send x number of coins but sends enough 'inputs' (chunks of coins you received) to fulfill your request to sent coins.  The remainder from those inputs is sent to your 'change address'.  Just send the change to the address your sending the coins from, or to another address you own.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1579

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:06:27 PM

You should send change to an address you own i.e. another address in your wallet. See here for more about change:

https://bitcoinspakistan.com/blog/all-about-change-and-change-addresses/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: