Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 12:15:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spock Bucks  (Read 821 times)
AtariCM (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:13:37 AM

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, just signed up yesterday because I wanted to talk on the Earth Coin launch
thread, but for now I'm stuck down here.

Anyway aside from that, I have an idea for a new crypto currency I want to create, based on an old meme I
saw going round the net years back called "Spock Bucks".

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/3e/d6/8f/3ed68fccf598c191a29a18d1fc8a64e5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/J2ZQz0H.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h37/DunesVladHarkonnen/spock_bucks.jpg

My idea is to bring Spock Bucks to life as a clone of one of the existing cryptos, but with a limit of only
2.1 million units which will all be produced in just one year.

With so few of these things available, they should theoretically be worth 10 BitCoins each so there
will be lots of profit for speculators, and with so many being made so fast there will be lots of profit
for the miners as well.

I know some people don't like the concept of premining, but I am thinking if I premined just 2100 of them,
which is 0.1%, I could then distribute 1890 of them to anyone who helps support the creation of spock
bucks and any services around them, leaving me with 210 Spocks which is 0.01% reward for having
thought of this idea.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions how to start, or what is the best currency code to clone in
Github to make modifications to then please let me know by replying below.

I've created a GitHub account for the project here : https://github.com/spockbucks/SpockBucks

One final thought;

Spock: Jim, do 8 decimal places constitute "exact change"?
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:32:13 AM

I've just opened a wordpress page for the project as well : spockbucks.wordpress.com
schwags

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:52:26 AM

I'm going to be honest...pre-mining, even a small amount really puts people off of a new currency. If you really want more than a pump-and-dump, start mining along with everyone else. Also, I think your logic of 1/10th the coins and only a 1 year mining time is flawed. Let's take your logic a step further. I can create a coin with only 1 thousand coins, then have it mined for only one month. By your logic, these would be fantastically valuable coins, but anyone with some sense knows that will not happen. Why would someone jump on-board with this over bitcoin? What is it's advantage? Nothing that I can see.
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:06:26 AM

Well no free spocks for you then, accepting one, even as a prize for your honesty goes against your principles... sorry about that, you will
have to use your graphics cards to run the free software to get your free money. On the other hand I'll be using my time and my hard earned
knowledge of programming to earn my pay.

As for the logic it's perfectly reasonable, just look at what happened with DOGE coins for an example, billions of them around and the value
has hit the floor. There is an inverse proportional relationship between coin value and availability volume, with only 2.1 million units available
assuming all other factors to be equal will give a potential value equal to 10 BTC, I can't see the problem with that or why you wouldn't
understand the simple arithmetic.

As for mining the whole thing in a year, that doesn't increase or decrease the ultimate value, it simply means we can get to end game of
this coin quicker and it means people with slower graphics cards have a chance at getting some goodies.

I will be completely transparent with the allocation of the 1890 Spocks that I'm ear marking for distributing to people who help with the creation
of Spock Bucks.
Mystery-Man

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:11:08 AM

It's really nothing for me to throw a few hashes at a new coin to see where it goes. I find that most coins don't really differ that much from each other anyway. Let me know if/when this starts up. As to what scrypt coin to clone I really couldn't say.
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 04:45:24 AM

Thanks for the support. +0.1 Spocks for you if this all works out.  (1889.9 PM Spocks remain)

I need to figure out which is the best crypto to clone from, I am currently drawn to DMD, but at this stage it's completely open to debate.

Perhaps a 0.1 PM Spock bounty for the best / chosen suggestion is in order.

catquarks

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:24:26 AM

Sounds like a good idea for a coin. It could be valuable if people got excited about it, and many probably would since it features Spock. I only started getting Dogecoins because of how silly the website is (plspetdoge.com), and because I like animals... This whole crypto business reminds me a lot of card/pog/beanie baby collecting. The 'pretty' ones have a good chance of being valuable.

I probably don't have the skills to do much help, but I'm curious to follow your progress on this.
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:44:15 AM

If you have your heart set on pre-mining then I suggest you keep public record of the funds you use for marketing/bounties/giveaways etc. A good place is your launch post. As for the Spock Bucks Idea, I love it. When you release it I will mine it.

AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:06:21 AM

CatQuarks +0.1 Spocks
MisO69 + 0.1 Spocks

Please claim your Spocks after launch by citing this post and providing your Spock wallet address when you have one.

(1889.7 PM Spocks remain)

Still need suggestions for the best crypto to clone and edit, upping the bounty to 1 whole Spock for the best suggestion on that. (Could be worth 10 BTC eventually)

jazarja

Activity: 21

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:09:54 AM

is spock character copyrighted?
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:37:41 AM

Probably, but then Paramount / Viacom would have a very hard time figuring out who to sue over it!

And anyway I'm not in the USA... so sucks to them Tongue
EmoneyRu

Activity: 600
Merit: 500

Nxt-kit developer

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:41:38 AM

Probably, but then Paramount / Viacom would have a very hard time figuring out who to sue over it!

But companies that would accept your money may have to pay fees for using copyrighted name even in word collocation

XylemUP

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:44:21 AM

I'm totally in.
catquarks

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:48:07 AM

If the idea is that there will be no more Spock Bucks after one year, maybe you could make Spock come back to life again some amount of time later, like in the movie.
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 06:54:12 AM

But companies that would accept your money may have to pay fees for using copyrighted name even in word collocation

Hrm, maybe... but then not every Crypto has to be about being for commerce, these are more like a rare collectible.

Besides, isn't the whole movement supposed to be about sticking it to the man? I see no reason why the banksters should be the only ones to feel the Wrath of Satoshi!

+0.1 jazarja
+0.1 EmoneyRu
+0.1 XylemUP
+0.1 CatQuarks  <--- current richest Spock Buck holder with a total of 0.2 Spocks!  (could be the easiest 20 BTC you've ever made, you never know...)
Morticio

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:27:29 AM

Maybe work little bit more and wait. The market of alt-coin totally saturate now...
Mystery-Man

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:52:47 AM

Just pulling some elements from other coins...

5 coins per block at 520,000 blocks with a one minute block time and one block for retargeting. Keep a very low transaction fee or people will be less motivated to participate.

I think if you keep it at scrypt a lot more people can mine it and you should 'Trek' the client to make it fun with alternate phrases for address book, etc.
AtariCM (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:54:29 PM

@Mortico, I suspect we will see dozens of new Alt Coins popping up all over the place for a long time to come. Some will live some will die off, the market will be the judge of what is wanted and what is wasted.

@Mystery-man

Fast block times and low transactions are great. The transactions can't be too low because there has to be profit for miners in the future to keep the currency alive.

It's definitely going to be SCRYPT based.

Address Book = Star Chart
Recieve Coins = Beam Up
Send Coins = Beam Down

Any other ideas?

Mortico +0.1 SPOCK
Mystery-man +0.1 SPOCK (making you level with CatQuarks @ 0.2 SPOCKS each)

(1889.2 SPOCKS remain)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: