Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:41:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quiet before the storm?  (Read 1925 times)
FlipPro (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 08:38:37 AM

Smiley?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 09:29:12 AM

Assuming there IS a media blitz following the convention (which is really only Saturday), and those news stories show up Saturday night, Sunday and Monday, when will the price of BTC peak?

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
xali

Activity: 163
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 09:33:06 AM

there will be no peak, it will just keep going higher and higher

someone else had been posting on my account for over a year; Every post from January 10 2017 to June 18 2018 is NOT ME
Whoever this person was that got access to my account, felt the need to shill something called "bidium" in my signature
very surreal. is this normal? the internet is full of crooks... watch out
Grouver (BtcBalance)

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 09:41:41 AM

To bad the SSL certificate of Tradehill is acting weird and may be affecting the price.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:28:41 PM

Assuming there IS a media blitz following the convention (which is really only Saturday), and those news stories show up Saturday night, Sunday and Monday, when will the price of BTC peak?

I doubt the stories will go to air Saturday, Sunday and Monday... more like Monday, sometime in the week and some time in the next month... which is really all good, actually, as it will keep the momentum going.

The bitcoin conference is an interesting piece of news, but not as timely as the Dow collapse, or the suicide attacks in Kabul.

Also, don't forget some print media will cover it as well. That means some articles appearing on the online versions of those publications.

Then you have to factor in the delay in setting up accounts with tradehill, mtgox, etc... funding those accounts, buying BTC. I doubt we'll see an explosion due to the conference, more like a steady rise.
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:35:18 PM

I doubt the stories will go to air Saturday, Sunday and Monday... more like Monday, sometime in the week and some time in the next month... which is really all good, actually, as it will keep the momentum going.

The bitcoin conference is an interesting piece of news, but not as timely as the Dow collapse, or the suicide attacks in Kabul.

Also, don't forget some print media will cover it as well. That means some articles appearing on the online versions of those publications.

Then you have to factor in the delay in setting up accounts with tradehill, mtgox, etc... funding those accounts, buying BTC. I doubt we'll see an explosion due to the conference, more like a steady rise.

There's also the possibility that the conference doesn't really make it into the media because bitcoin is so, like, May 2011.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:43:17 PM

There's also the possibility that the conference doesn't really make it into the media because bitcoin is so, like, May 2011.

If they send the crews, they'll air the story. Bitcoin might be May 2011 to us, but 9 out of 10 people on the street have never heard of it... if there are any camera crews there tomorrow, the story will go to air some time.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:00:54 PM

I'm sure the media would love to talk about a currency which is completely untied to any countries economy. In the current economic climate when almost all investors are running around screaming "us economy recedes europe is about to blow up where do I put my money" it's an alternative that at least deserves the coverage.

i am satoshi
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:16:07 PM

I doubt the conference will get press beyond the blogosphere. I could care less what the public thinks right now, I'm more interested in hearing about new product development.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:05:03 PM

How long until we start seeing some live streaming somewhere? I'd like to tune in.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 02:20:56 PM

Remember funding has gotten alot faster since ExchB has started accepting deposits at bank locations.
Piper67
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 03:00:37 PM

Remember funding has gotten alot faster since ExchB has started accepting deposits at bank locations.

Yes, it's true, but they're still just a fraction of the volume at MtGox, which will be the driving force... Give them a few weeks, though, and they may give mtgox and TH a run for their money.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 05:15:37 PM

you people are still at the peak of inflated expectations, the rest of the world is already at the through of disillusionment.

All those graphs follow the same pattern:

And guess what's next  Shocked

However as other people said this is only the first hype cycle. There will be another, bigger one after this one, and so on...
d3wo

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Kupo!

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 07:20:50 PM

Is Bitcoin the Only 'Safe-Haven' Investment Left? Cheesy

Donations Welcome: 1GD3Sg3xcAzoc4V2SbkdTkFT9acio65Wr9
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 07:49:27 PM
Last edit: June 01, 2013, 12:56:03 AM by Vladimir

-
infested999

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 07:54:14 PM

Can someone put the Google Trends graph and the mtGox price graph ontop of each other. Then stretch the image out so that they both have the same timeline at the bottom so we can see the trends/price correlation.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:20:44 PM

Serious investors surely know about most asset classes becoming highly correlated to each other in last few years. Everything moves together (almost).

Bitcoin is principally new asset class which is not highly correlated to anything else. It is a must have in any balanced portfolio.

Once the investing crowd recognises this simple truth, there will be another shark's feeding frenzy.

Completely agree.

Much is made about how bitcoin is valued compared to other currencies, but its real strength is its immunity to political or monetary policy pressure. This is one to have in your portfolio, no doubt. Call it "Sovereign Insurance".

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: