Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:04:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best encryption for wallet.dat storage and backup?  (Read 2493 times)
tclo (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 01:39:38 PM

I would like to encrypt my wallet.dat file on my PC and flash drive, etc.  What is the best encryption to use for it?  I have PGP Desktop Encryption and know about TrueCrypt as well.  I guess I could use both of these together or are there other ideas.  Thanks.

(And I am not considering a paper wallet, so please don't go off on a tangent about those.)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:35:01 PM

I would like to encrypt my wallet.dat file on my PC and flash drive, etc.  What is the best encryption to use for it?  I have PGP Desktop Encryption and know about TrueCrypt as well.  I guess I could use both of these together or are there other ideas.  Thanks.

(And I am not considering a paper wallet, so please don't go off on a tangent about those.)

TrueCrypt has a good reputation, but I know a top security guy is currently auditing it, and I've not seen the results yet.

Hard to trust anything these days ....
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 02:39:12 PM

Beware stuff from RSA after the potential news last week about selling weaknesses to the NSA for $10 million.
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 03:55:49 PM

TrueCrypt to manage it is simple .... then its up-to you to choose the encryption and hash....

^ I am with STUPID!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 08:14:33 PM

Zip then encfs then truecrypt then zip and keep going.

Cryptolator

Activity: 508

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 01:21:02 AM

Out of curiosity, why don't you go with cold storage options ?
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:38:00 AM

Out of curiosity, why don't you go with cold storage options ?

I think the "please don't go off on a tangent about those" was a hint we should only discuss encryption methods Smiley
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 01:56:15 PM

He has a prejudice

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:21:22 PM

He has a prejudice

Maybe he has reason, let's not jump to conclusions. It could be for the part of his bitcoins he wants ready access to.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:21:45 PM

if you have a strong enough password  on the wallet you should be ok

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

"4gR(68Z73.T/yS6oa=nf<fC~4i_jD?1X[7HDyR*vQtv2V#[uZ~7J#|'2eY8@z&6
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:26:43 PM

The question was intended towards which encryption program could be trusted, not who could invent the longest password.
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:03:41 PM

The question was intended towards which encryption program could be trusted, not who could invent the longest password.

truecrypt and winzip and pgp desktop have already been suggested  but no harm in making the wallet.dat as difficult to crack as possible imo

tclo (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:30:19 PM

He has a prejudice

Maybe he has reason, let's not jump to conclusions. It could be for the part of his bitcoins he wants ready access to.

Yes I do want quick access to all my bitcoins at all times. If there is some kind of catastrophic news that tanks the price, I want to be able to get out or at least have a chance. And I will add that the price of BTC has gotten cut in half, but I am actually up in BTC  "net worth" since the drop from 1200+ to 600. I'm a trader by nature.

Plus paper wallets seem too insecure to me as it's still a physical piece of paper that someone can potentially get access to.  With software wallet, you can encrypt and as long as you secure the pw, then one one is getting in there, as long as the encryption holds.

And yes I do have a pw on my Multibit wallet, but that seems weak and anyone can still open it easily and see how much BTC I have even if they can't spend the funds without the pw or private key.

But maybe I will go with TrueCrypt/PGP combo.  I don't think I would add winzip on top of that.  But I love PGP virtual disks and use them all the time anyway.  So put a TrueCrypt container in one of those and I should be ok, as long as I don't get tripped up by some kind of virus/keylogger, which i suppose is always a possibility. 
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 03:34:56 PM

I encrypt my paper wallet and leave the actual paper next to a shredder.

CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 03:39:25 PM

He has a prejudice

But maybe I will go with TrueCrypt/PGP combo.  I don't think I would add winzip on top of that.  But I love PGP virtual disks and use them all the time anyway.  So put a TrueCrypt container in one of those and I should be ok, as long as I don't get tripped up by some kind of virus/keylogger, which i suppose is always a possibility. 

use  the armoury client and it has an option that puts a virtual  keyboard on your screen so theres no possibility of being keylogged
clicking the keys with a mouse 
Mikcik

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:17:59 PM

Well "software keyboard" is a default featue in windows 7 so...
CoinCidental
Legendary

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:13:43 PM

never had use for a virtual keyboard b4 so i was unaware of that feature in w7 lol
but anyways i would  rather use the armoury version since it was designed for btc 
Mikcik

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:55:49 PM

never had use for a virtual keyboard b4 so i was unaware of that feature in w7 lol
but anyways i would  rather use the armoury version since it was designed for btc 

:-)ú

Even for example KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security) has its own Software keyboard :-), and maybe other antiviruses aswell.
btcprice

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:50:20 AM

I use both. I used to work for a large bank encrypting hard drives and we used both.
Kam800

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:40:31 AM

I'd stick with Truecrypt, choose a strong encryption algo with a good passphrase and you'll be fine.

If you're worried this isn't enough security create a new wallet on a clean virtual machine, send it your coins, backup and encrypt. A recovery disk is a nice option too. Your encrypted volume/container can always be opened on a clean VM whenever you like.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: