Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:25:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the best encryption for wallet.dat storage and backup?  (Read 2493 times)
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 06:16:00 AM

Check this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=382922.new;topicseen#new

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 07:06:25 AM

I'd stick with Truecrypt, choose a strong encryption algo with a good passphrase and you'll be fine.

If you're worried this isn't enough security create a new wallet on a clean virtual machine, send it your coins, backup and encrypt. A recovery disk is a nice option too. Your encrypted volume/container can always be opened on a clean VM whenever you like.

That would be my choice as well.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:33:39 AM

Truecrypt is closed source, no independent source has reviewed the code.

'nuff said.

meade16

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:57:40 AM

I'd stick with Truecrypt, choose a strong encryption algo with a good passphrase and you'll be fine.

If you're worried this isn't enough security create a new wallet on a clean virtual machine, send it your coins, backup and encrypt. A recovery disk is a nice option too. Your encrypted volume/container can always be opened on a clean VM whenever you like.

Good idea.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:59:27 AM

'nuff said.

Not true. Matthew Green (you can find him on Twitter), has done a full audit, not sure if he's published results yet.
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:22:40 AM

'nuff said.

Not true. Matthew Green (you can find him on Twitter), has done a full audit, not sure if he's published results yet.

an audit done by 1 person idoesnt carry the same credability  as open source code that can be examined by everyone in the world who feels like having a look to see how it works

not saying anything about Matthews credibility but hes still just 1 person so  theres always the channce he missed something someone else might spot or even found something and been bribed to leave it  out of the report

cant trust anything after the snowden scandal imo so id still use trucrypt but use it with a couple of other precautionary  measures as well
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:22:42 PM

'nuff said.

an audit done by 1 person idoesnt carry the same credability  as open source code that can be examined by everyone in the world who feels like having a look to see how it works

not saying anything about Matthews credibility but hes still just 1 person so  theres always the channce he missed something someone else might spot or even found something and been bribed to leave it  out of the report

cant trust anything after the snowden scandal imo so id still use trucrypt but use it with a couple of other precautionary  measures as well

I'll try and find the details of the research he did into truecrypt. He's a stand up guy.  A "Assistant Research Professor" at John Hopkins.

http://spar.isi.jhu.edu/~mgreen/

Knows more about the ins and outs of encryption than me and 99.9% of the people at this forum put together. His twitter is:

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green

Raghnar

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:47:43 PM

'nuff said.

Yes I figure that the NSA could have a backdoor in that or in PGP but less likely to have one in both of course...possible but just trying to cut down the odds of that.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:14:30 AM

Here's a link about the truecrypt audit:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/06/truecrypt_audit_is_go/

Summary, its not happened yet, Matthew is still in the fundraising stage Sad
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:09:21 AM

http://istruecryptauditedyet.com

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:17:02 AM

Yes that URL is the article, I should have quoted it as well, thx for doing that.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:17:57 AM

Yes that URL is the article, I should have quoted it as well, thx for doing that.

I know I stole your credit Roll Eyes

empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:19:08 AM

I know I stole your credit Roll Eyes

Not at all sir.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 07:19:50 AM

Merry Christmas!

empoweoqwj