Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:29:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $80 Android Phone Sells Like Hotcakes in Kenya  (Read 3604 times)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 10:42:09 AM

http://singularityhub.com/2011/08/16/80-android-phone-sells-like-hotcakes-in-kenya-the-world-next/

So far, this $80 smartphone has found its way into the hands of 350,000+ Kenyans, an impressive sales number in a country where 40% of the population lives on less than two dollars a day.

Here are the phone's stats:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_u8150_ideos-3513.php

It could handle a thin bitcoin client.. One idea could be to install a client on them, charge them with $5 worth of BTC (45 cBTC at current rates), and sell them for $85.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
indicasteve

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 11:03:22 AM

We’ve seen smartphones adopt all kinds of medical technology, from digital stethoscopes to cancer diagnosis, and I’m hopeful that we’ll see similarly stunning med-tech reach even the remotest areas one day.

I'm calling bullshit on this one...

WTF is an 80 dollar phone?  My phone cost me 0$..BUT you have to sign up for a 3 yr contract where you have to give up your first born to pay for it....and that's in CANADA!

What kind of contract do these unfortunate soles have to subscribe to to get their $80 phone?

This whole article is bullshit without the OP stating the 'total cost of ownership'.

Gawd shit like this makes me so mad....

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
dbitcoin

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

BTCDig - mining pool

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 11:09:27 AM

Kenya population is 39,802,015 for 2009
350,000 is ~0,8%
Looks like this is Kenyans "rich middle class"

BTCDig - mining pool (Stratum, VarDiff, DGM, SSL, JSON API)
amincd (OP)

Activity: 772

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 11:10:08 AM

Quote from: indicasteve
What kind of contract do these unfortunate soles have to subscribe to to get their $80 phone?

The phones are $80 without a contract:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/the-land-rush-why-google-wont-bless-motorola-as-its-favorite-android/2011/08/19/gIQATi79OJ_story.html

An $80 handset is selling like hotcakes in Kenya with no contract.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:39:56 PM

If this is true, it's pretty darn exciting. Given that there's already a wonderful Android bitcoin client, there's nothing standing in the way of Kenyan's adopting the coin widely. They're already using the M-PESA system which has been amazing well-received. They're used to banking with their phone, and sending money to each other.

What language do they speak there, and is there a version of the Bitcoin page in that language?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 12:45:36 PM

If this is true, it's pretty darn exciting. Given that there's already a wonderful Android bitcoin client, there's nothing standing in the way of Kenyan's adopting the coin widely. They're already using the M-PESA system which has been amazing well-received. They're used to banking with their phone, and sending money to each other.

What language do they speak there, and is there a version of the Bitcoin page in that language?

According to the cia factbook: English (official), Kiswahili (official), numerous indigenous languages

So.. looks ripe for it I guess!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 01:12:41 PM

We’ve seen smartphones adopt all kinds of medical technology, from digital stethoscopes to cancer diagnosis, and I’m hopeful that we’ll see similarly stunning med-tech reach even the remotest areas one day.

WTF is an 80 dollar phone?  My phone cost me 0$..BUT you have to sign up for a 3 yr contract where you have to give up your first born to pay for it....and that's in CANADA!

This whole article is bullshit without the OP stating the 'total cost of ownership'.

Kenya is not Canada. Kenya is a poor third world country.

The total cost of ownership is $80 dollars.
You can use a prepaid SIM card, you can use a contract, or just play around with it offline/surf the web by public WLANs, use Skype etc.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
bitplane

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 02:12:26 PM

They're $140 online.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:37:01 AM

wow, this is exciting.  thanks.
helloworld

Activity: 266

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 02:05:43 AM

there's already a wonderful Android bitcoin client

Can you link to it so I can use the one you recommend?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 28, 2011, 02:08:02 AM

Surely not BS. In kalifornia I got a decent smartphone for $125, maybe $150, no contract required, I bought minutes and data from some second rate provider cheap, can stop anytime and keep the phone. There should be a $50 smartphone already imo, $80 is far from unbelievable.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 02:17:31 AM

Surely not BS. In kalifornia I got a decent smartphone for $125, maybe $150, no contract required, I bought minutes and data from some second rate provider cheap, can stop anytime and keep the phone. There should be a $50 smartphone already imo, $80 is far from unbelievable.
Indeed. Fortune was writing of a $75 (retail) Android device within six months (of Dec 2010).
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/12/22/2011-will-be-the-year-android-explodes/

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
BusmasterDMA

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 02:29:24 AM

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet
I recommend only keeping a small amount on the device at any given time, to minimize damage in case of loss.

Bears.  Beets.  Battlestar Galactica.  Bitcoin.
helloworld

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:56:17 AM

I recommend only keeping a small amount on the device at any given time, to minimize damage in case of loss.

Thanks for the link, although I would like evoohees to confirm that this is the one he was referring to, since there are a few of them available.
Andreas Schildbach

Activity: 483

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:01:45 AM

Thanks for the link, although I would like evoohees to confirm that this is the one he was referring to, since there are a few of them available.

Yes, this is the Bitcoin Wallet App that I started in March. And my name is Andreas.
helloworld

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:26:02 AM

Yes, this is the Bitcoin Wallet App that I started in March. And my name is Andreas.

Thanks for the reply, although I would like evoohees to confirm that this is the one he was referring to, since there are a few of them available.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:33:29 AM

Thanks for the reply, although I would like evoohees to confirm that this is the one he was referring to, since there are a few of them available.

Until he replies I can use the same terminology; Bitcoin Wallet is indeed a wonderful Android Bitcoin app. I've used it for quite some time.

helloworld

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 08:51:17 AM

Until he replies I can use the same terminology; Bitcoin Wallet is indeed a wonderful Android Bitcoin app. I've used it for quite some time.

Well, thanks everyone I am going to check this one out... it will feel good walking around knowing I have bitcoins in my pocket (and not just on a thumbdrive, but easily spendable bitcoins). Pity I can't walk to Meze Grill from here.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 09:02:04 AM

I first guessed that someone who read this thread started this: http://www.bitbob.co.ke
(claming to be the first African Exchange - launching 'soon')

But looking at the whois for bitbob.co.ke - it was created on 2011-05-27  and has a Nairobi address..  (Alex Beavan)

Could still be a foreign run operation I suppose.. but good to see someone setting up some bitcoin infrastructure for Kenya anyway!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 12:26:28 PM

Wake up, the phone really cost only 80$. It's not an high end smartphone, why it should cost more than 80$?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: