Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:58:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Wallet with Online Blockchain. Is it possible?  (Read 1696 times)
Duff___Man (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 05:46:50 PM

Hi guys

Its just a thought I had, is it possible to have a local wallet with an online blockchain? The local wallet would have to connect to the blockchain to allow transfers to go through. User's wouldn't have to download a huge blockchain and could transfer funds through their local wallet.

ShareCoin : SMiSgsNN3A8onLPU4bpAB17w6GJX4g8bU8
PRab

Activity: 98

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:39:44 PM

This is basically what Electrum (http://electrum.org/) and Multibit (https://multibit.org/) do. Are you looking for something different than that?
sidazhang

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 07:47:31 PM

I want to make a shameless plug for a little open source project I built recently. Also a local wallet with blockchain in the cloud

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sparecoins/nhkolgoaflkjhfkamdhiahingnendokj
https://github.com/BitcoinMafia/SpareCoinsExt
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:05:32 AM

Hi guys

Its just a thought I had, is it possible to have a local wallet with an online blockchain? The local wallet would have to connect to the blockchain to allow transfers to go through. User's wouldn't have to download a huge blockchain and could transfer funds through their local wallet.

Yep - like PRab says - its exactly how electrum works. Much more user-friendly than having to download the huge blockchain.
grau

Activity: 836
Merit: 1021

bits of proof

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 06:24:37 AM

Hi guys

This is the design of BOP Enterprise Server.
There is a client library with wallet related functions that connects to a remote server. This is not an end-user product though.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:30:30 AM

Hi guys

There is a client library with wallet related functions that connects to a remote server. This is not an end-user product though.

Love your logo by the way - could you share where you got it done? I need a logo for bitcoin site, prepared to spend for great design.
Duff___Man (OP)

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:21:13 PM

Hi guys

Love your logo by the way - could you share where you got it done? I need a logo for bitcoin site, prepared to spend for great design.
I did it myself  Smiley

ShareCoin : SMiSgsNN3A8onLPU4bpAB17w6GJX4g8bU8
JohnBlack

Activity: 83

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:58:29 PM

Hi guys

Yep - like PRab says - its exactly how electrum works. Much more user-friendly than having to download the huge blockchain.

problem with electrum is that you have to trust random ip addresses about the blockchain integrity though, am I mistaken?

beers: 13PKLWBw4SvXk8QQ9dfGkuET3Msw5idNEU
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:03:08 AM

Hi guys

I did it myself  Smiley

Darned - you're good!!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:04:11 AM

Hi guys

problem with electrum is that you have to trust random ip addresses about the blockchain integrity though, am I mistaken?

I use electrum but I'm not qualified to answer that. They have a dedicated sub-forum if you want to ask the developers about the issue. Would be interested to know myself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: