Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:36:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Privacy about who we are and where we live, should we give it up?
No, never, without privacy we are exposed to scams, hacking and all manner of bad things - 7 (46.7%)
Not usually, though I will give my info to trade coins on coinbase and similar services - 4 (26.7%)
Yes, sometimes, but you have to be careful of who you give your information to - 2 (13.3%)
Yes, by putting our information out there we safeguard illegal and secret seizure by the powerful - 1 (6.7%)
I don't think. - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Anonymity  (Read 424 times)
player01 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 09:20:50 PM

As I understand it many people in the crypto community value their privacy above almost all else, they don't want to say if they have a large amount of miners or bitcoin. They are fearful of scams and hacking, but in my opinion, the people they need to worry about are the government, the big banks and their agents and agencies. 

Recently we have seen the governments coming after an exchange site that accepted BTC for illegal goods, not just the owners, but also people who supported it, and in the near future we will see people put in jail for tax evasion. The powerful have no problem finding you, no matter your safeguards. There are whole agencies with more resources than we can muster on our own ready willing and on the case to destroy a competing currency.

They aren't messing around, but are we being a little TOO careful and leaving ourselves open to being put in jail on a technicality for being involved?

I would like to discuss this with the community.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 09:39:41 PM

I don't mind giving up who I am or where I live to reputable companies in my local region which I can sue if they misuse the info. Such would be various financial institutions like banks. On the other hand, exchanges are only well known to our community and have a long way of gaining enough rep for me to provide them my ID.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:04:07 PM

Privacy and anonymity are different things.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2013, 10:08:46 PM

Privacy and anonymity are different things.
Strongly connected though.

player01 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:49:01 PM

I think that we should go the other direction and actually make sure that everyone knows where everyone is at any given moment, especially those that have invested and made a lot of money in BTC, as they are targets of the state.

On the face of it, it seems that you be on the losing end of the deal, but if governments knew there would be an uproar every time a big player gets unceremoniously thrown in jail for some trifling matter such as forgetting to take care of his parking ticket, then they might think twice about pulling stunts like that.

After all, they can find us whenever they want.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: