Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:15:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RENAME THIS CATEGORY: Other Complementary Currencies  (Read 1252 times)
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 04:02:30 PM

IMHO this category should be renamed: cryptocurrency sounds like a derogatory term invented by banksters !

In contrast, complementary currencies have been proposed and discussed for years by many: they are meant to coexist with state currencies, not to replace them entirely.

Unlike, bitcoin, none of them has gained much traction because they lacked one or more of the features displayed by bitcoin.
Or because they are based on very questionnable assumptions.

Alternatively, Grondilu has proposed "meta-currency" which sounds very relevant since it refers to one of the main use cases for bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitv

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 04:16:58 PM

That would be misleading though, because we're not discussing about other complementary currencies, but other cryptocurrencies instead... Well, I guess you could discuss other complementary currencies than cryptocurrencies too, but what's the point on a cryptocurrency-based forums...
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 19, 2011, 04:31:33 PM

The term is fine, and cryptocurrency is the official term. Complementary sucks because it implies it is somewhat that you use it together and is totally different like coffee & sugar.
While it is really alternative like Coffee or Redbull.

So the "better" term I vote for is "alternative"
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2011, 12:22:16 PM

CRYPTO sucks: in ancient greek that means "hidden". I don't want bitcoin to be hidden. I want it to stroll around in bright day light on Wall Street.
Who said crypto was "official" btw ??

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 21, 2011, 12:55:22 PM

CRYPTO sucks: in ancient greek that means "hidden". I don't want bitcoin to be hidden. I want it to stroll around in bright day light on Wall Street.
Who said crypto was "official" btw ??

Because it's a cryptographic currency.
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2011, 04:31:13 PM

Well, I believe all banking systems supporting euros and dollars use cryptographic techniques. Technology is not defining bitcoin entirely.

N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 03:44:32 AM

I too find that the term "cryptocurrency" is nonsense here, because we are not referring to currencies based on cryptography in general but to currencies based on Nakamoto’s block chain.

So it should be Alternative block chains in my opinion.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 06:52:54 AM

I too find that the term "cryptocurrency" is nonsense here, because we are not referring to currencies based on cryptography in general but to currencies based on Nakamoto’s block chain.

That would be the right description, yes.
RevolutionMaster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:06:29 AM

I don't even get why we have a board for this, if there have yet to be any actual alternatives that aren't just a scheme to get rich quickly. I propose that we rename this board to the "IWANNAMAKEMYOWNCOINS" board.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 12:53:58 PM

+1
Bitcoin-like or block chain currencies are the most appropriate terms in my opinion. Maybe just chain currencies or coins (this last term only if it's in a suitable context).
The currencies issued with open transactions, for example are also cryptocurrencies, but it's not the same concept.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
Boussac (OP)
Legendary

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 08:36:09 AM

I don't even get why we have a board for this, if there have yet to be any actual alternatives that aren't just a scheme to get rich quickly. I propose that we rename this board to the "IWANNAMAKEMYOWNCOINS" board.

1/ +1 for this suggestion
2/ as a second choice, Other Chain Currencies

sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:10:04 PM

IMHO this category should be renamed: cryptocurrency sounds like a derogatory term invented by banksters !

I don't think it sounds like a term invented by banksters. It sounds like someone took the word crypto and the word currency and stuck them together. It's a very good description of what these things are; Currencies backed by the mathematical rigor of encryption rather than currencies backed by the promises of professional liars.

The term 'Complementary Currencies' sounds more like bankster talk to me.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 08:09:38 PM

I don't think it sounds like a term invented by banksters. It sounds like someone took the word crypto and the word currency and stuck them together. It's a very good description of what these things are; Currencies backed by the mathematical rigor of encryption rather than currencies backed by the promises of professional liars.

The term 'Complementary Currencies' sounds more like bankster talk to me.

Neither of them sounds like banksters. Dollar or IMF's bancor sounds like banksters, not cryptocurrency (includes not decentralized issued currencies, like the ones in open transactions) nor complementary currencies.
p2p or chain currencies is the more accurate term IMO.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
ALEX765

Activity: 364
Merit: 10

https://cryptassist.io/

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:21:05 PM

Cryptocurrency - type of digital currency, issues and accounting of which are based on asymmetric encryption and the application of various cryptographic methods of protection.

the main thing is not what is called - but the opportunities that it gives

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER     》  CRYPTASSIST               |▌  [   ICO HAS STARTED    ▶  JOIN NOW!   ]
            THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD           ⚫  WIN A TESLA ROADSTER!   ))
Telegram   /  ANN   /  Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /  WhitePaper   /
BeruchN

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:25:04 PM

Honestly complementar currency just sounds a little weird.

I don't see what's wrong with altcoins, it's familiar to most people too.

----  Hot Crypto Airdrops ----   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: