Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:53:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin as a new way to embrace taxes  (Read 2211 times)
Kouye (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
December 22, 2013, 10:34:31 PM

I had a lenghty and rough discussion with a couple of dubious friends, and thought I'd share the way I managed to nail some interest into them.
They were aware about this new "electronic cash", to begin with.

1 - Sweep away the concept of money. Bitcoin is just another "Like", exactly as the ones on facebook or other shitty, so-called social networks.
2 - Introduce the concept of crowdfunding, and talk about some great acheivements.
3 - When we need a new hospital or a bridge being repaired, most of the time, a private company will be chosen by people we elected to decide for us.
4 - Those choices (they make in our name) have been proven to be based on friendship/corruption, and it's becoming more and more frequent.

Then, throw an open discussion about bitcoin, and make it clear that:
- Bitcoins cannot be stolen/seized.
- Bitcoins (and very tiny fractions of bitcoins) can be transmitted in a matter of minutes.
- Bitcoins cannot be forged, and are limited to 21m units.
- Bitcoins can be tracked down, as any transaction is public.

5 - We need bridges. We need hospitals.
6 - They are repairing bridges and building hospitals with our money.
7 - If our money, why couldn't we chose?

Bitcoin allows us to upvote such projects, and prove that we did.

Any discussion from that point will most likely convince any non-beleiver that bitcoin has a role to play.
Not as a money transmitter, but as a new way to consider taxes.
One that goes willingfully from the taxpayer to the useful projects.
Corruption will get much less efficient, with everyone deciding.

Of course, we cannot decide for each bridge being repaired in the world. But there are sensitive solutions to that issue.
I'm sure you know what I mean.

Anyway... Bitcoin is new approach to global contribution (aka taxes), one that you cannot easily cheat with.
And one that cannot be embezzeled.

You vote.
They get the job done.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
madmadmax

Activity: 740
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:21:57 AM

I have always held rather similar beliefs, you have a government website with a series of categories, every category has a subcategory down to the lowest levels so you can subscribe or unsubscribe as you please, so if for example you back up the law that prohibits people from smoking in your local park you can subscribe to that service, if enough people subscribe widespread enforcement could then take place but you would pay higher taxes in exchange for the "service".

You would also have a choice between different service providers such as policing service, firefighters and so on, you would chose your police the same way you chose your internet provider. Taxes are really payments to the government in exchange for services.

This is fundamentally superior than coercing the potentially wise 49% for paying for useless wars of the 51% and favors both evolution and natural selection, this neo-anarchistic approach is also trivial to implement.

▄▄▄▄▄               ▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄        ▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄██▀        ▀██▄    ▄██▀         ▀█▄
██▀            ▀██▄  ▀▀             ██
██               ▀██        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
██                ▀██▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
 ██▄          ▄██   ▀██▄          ▄▄▄
  ▀██▄      ▄██▀      ▀██▄▄     ▄██▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀          ▀▀██████▀▀

Unchained Smart Contracts
Decentralized Oracle
Infinitly Scalable
Blockchain Technology
Turing-Complete
State-Channels

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄██▄
     ▄      ▐████   ▄▄
   █████     ██████████
    █████████████████▀
 ▄████████████▀████▌
██████████     ▀████    
 ▀▀   █████     ██████████
      ▀████▌▄████████████▀
    ▄▄▄███████████████▌
   ██████████▀    ▐████
    ▀▀▀  ████▌     ▀▀▀
         ▀███▀
f

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 03:45:21 AM

Taxes are really payments to the government in exchange for services.
That sentence is morally repugnant.

Taxes are not payments for services any more than rape is a form of dating.

Payments for services are negotiated and voluntary. Taxes are unilaterally imposed and violently enforced. Taxes are about a minority of society gaining control of the enforcement apparatus and imposing their preferences on everybody else, using violence if necessary.

If you want to talk about non-coercive ways to fund hospitals, roads, etc, then that's great but don't call it taxation.
Phrenico

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 04:47:26 AM

I have always held rather similar beliefs, you have a government website with a series of categories, every category has a subcategory down to the lowest levels so you can subscribe or unsubscribe as you please, so if for example you back up the law that prohibits people from smoking in your local park you can subscribe to that service, if enough people subscribe widespread enforcement could then take place but you would pay higher taxes in exchange for the "service".

You would also have a choice between different service providers such as policing service, firefighters and so on, you would chose your police the same way you chose your internet provider. Taxes are really payments to the government in exchange for services.

This is fundamentally superior than coercing the potentially wise 49% for paying for useless wars of the 51% and favors both evolution and natural selection, this neo-anarchistic approach is also trivial to implement.

It's called tax choice, where different departments can compete for your tax funds. It's essentially free-market anarchy plus mandatory contributions of XX dollars to any or all government departments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_choice

So it's one step closer to actual free markets.

OP, how about instead of straining over how to tax bitcoin so politicians can decide how to spend a large fraction of your income to pay private contractors to build roads, why not just think about ways by which roads and bridges can be built voluntarily (i.e. in the same way that cable television service, computers, cars, food, etc.. are produced) and paid for by use-fees?
cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:27:16 AM

Payments for services are negotiated and voluntary. Taxes are unilaterally imposed and violently enforced. Taxes are about a minority of society gaining control of the enforcement apparatus and imposing their preferences on everybody else, using violence if necessary.

If you want to talk about non-coercive ways to fund hospitals, roads, etc, then that's great but don't call it taxation.

LucasJunior

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 07:51:00 AM

a new currency which is realy transparent on the wallet but not user  Cheesy
davedx

Activity: 434

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 04:02:20 PM

It's called tax choice, where different departments can compete for your tax funds. It's essentially free-market anarchy plus mandatory contributions of XX dollars to any or all government departments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_choice

So it's one step closer to actual free markets.

OP, how about instead of straining over how to tax bitcoin so politicians can decide how to spend a large fraction of your income to pay private contractors to build roads, why not just think about ways by which roads and bridges can be built voluntarily (i.e. in the same way that cable television service, computers, cars, food, etc.. are produced) and paid for by use-fees?

But are road building projects really comparable to laying coax cable?

What is the capex of a major road building project, and what is the capex of laying cables? I'm genuinely curious to see some numbers.

Bitcoin is one piece of a larger puzzle to promote liberty, prosperity and democracy.
Support the EFF with your Bitcoins. https://supporters.eff.org/donate
Kungfucheez

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:16:58 PM

Except, that's exactly what taxation is you moron. You aren't forced to pay taxes, and you are allowed to negotiate taxes.   
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:23:56 PM

Except, that's exactly what taxation is you moron. You aren't forced to pay taxes, and you are allowed to negotiate taxes.  

I'm not sure where you live, but at least here and in most places in the West, taxes are not negotiable or voluntary.  If you don't pay your taxes, you go to jail at the point of a gun.  You don't negotiate taxes, you pay them or they are "withheld" so you don't even see them.

On rare occasions people have negotiated huge tax debts away with the IRS in the US when there is no way they could pay what they owed, but that negotiation is at the threat of going to jail if you don't reach agreement.

And calling someone a "moron" is not the way to have a discussion.
lucaso

Activity: 12

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 04:34:35 PM

Taxes are actually only tool that allow country to maintain any integrity. When there was a feudal monarchy a king owned everything (including people), so integrity was maintained via military power.
For any democratic-like systems taxation is only choice, as there is no way that people would agree to "being spent" directly.

You don't like it? Visit few countries in Africa.

When it comes to corruption then i will argue in my country its getting lower year/year.
Malooka
Copper Member

Activity: 289
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:08:55 PM

Bitcoin won't fail by itself.  The concept is brilliant.

But a lot of the people involved in it are so happy to be system slaves they'll do their best to make it fail.  Or worse, make it another tool of a corrupt regime.

Kungfucheez

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:10:58 PM

I'm not sure where you live, but at least here and in most places in the West, taxes are not negotiable or voluntary.  If you don't pay your taxes, you go to jail at the point of a gun.  You don't negotiate taxes, you pay them or they are "withheld" so you don't even see them.

On rare occasions people have negotiated huge tax debts away with the IRS in the US when there is no way they could pay what they owed, but that negotiation is at the threat of going to jail if you don't reach agreement.

And calling someone a "moron" is not the way to have a discussion.

I live in the United States, and that's not how it works. If someone starts spouting nonsense that is just stupid, then that is no way to have a discussion either. Taxes are always negotiable and always have been, it's called representation. Just because the majority accept paying taxes because it helps funds all state and federal services that you take for granted everyday, that doesn't mean you don't have a voice in the matter. I mean, the Government even gives you a tax refund at the beginning of the fiscal year ffs.

Saying, and I quote,
Is just stupid.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 05:52:02 PM

Who invited all the sockpuppets and trolls to this thread?
Kouye (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:11:43 PM

In case you'd be talking about me, I can assure you I have just a single account. Wink
As to OP, I should have put "replace" instead of "embrace" in the title, that would have probably caused less fuzz.

The whole point is to see bitcoin as a new way to participate in community effort, difference with the taxes being you know exactly (and choose) which projects you fund.
Today, I know my taxes pay for weapon development, stupid TV shows, a lot of obscure government think tanks composed mostly of family members of said govenrment, etc. And I'm not confortable with that.
Bitcoin would allow everyone to give their "opinion" on what we should concentrate, and not let people elected by people elected by people we elected decide.

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:18:38 PM

This whole 'community crowd-funding' thing is great in principle, but it wont work on a large scale. We already have crowd-funding anyway but it's called taxes.

I keep seeing this you get thrown in jail by men with guns line. You don't have to pay taxes at all if you don't want. There are plenty of ways to legally not pay any tax. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to do anything.

In case you'd be talking about me, I can assure you I have just a single account. Wink
As to OP, I should have put "replace" instead of "embrace" in the title, that would have probably caused less fuzz.

The whole point is to see bitcoin as a new way to participate in community effort, difference with the taxes being you know exactly (and choose) which projects you fund.
Today, I know my taxes pay for weapon development, stupid TV shows, a lot of obscure government think tanks composed mostly of family members of said govenrment, etc. And I'm not confortable with that.
Bitcoin would allow everyone to give their "opinion" on what we should concentrate, and not let people elected by people elected by people we elected decide.

What happens when these crowd-funding communities get bigger and start wasting your money on crap or diddling their expenses and start buying themselves mansions. The problem here is to put into a system or government where your taxes are spent on infrastructure and services and not wars and crap.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 12:00:09 AM

Wesley Snipes should have used some of the tax experts in this thread before the guys with guns showed up to take him to jail.  Oh wait, I think that is what he did.

:-)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 09:56:51 PM

Wesley Snipes should have used some of the tax experts in this thread before the guys with guns showed up to take him to jail.  Oh wait, I think that is what he did.

:-)

Wesley Snipes should not try to get away with being a famous movie star and try not making films if he doesn't want to pay taxes. Or maybe he can make them for free. Governments always make an example of famous people to spread their fear. Good look catching Dave the Plumber not paying taxes on all those cash in hand jobs.
pungopete468

Activity: 1470
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:24:13 PM

Bitcoin should have no income tax based on the intent of the current tax code.

The sixteenth amendment states that federal income tax is imposed on incomes from all sources derived. However, under the pretext of the law and the purpose for which the law was written (solely to pay the Federal Reserve interest payments in return for loaning more dollars) Bitcoin is not nor should it be considered a source of income unless it is converted to USD. Bitcoin is not income until it is traded.

The IRS has no right to tax an individual on imaginary income. If they taxed Bitcoin (pretending it were dollars) they can tax child birth, death, growing food, pretty much anything they want. The truth is they can only get away with what the public lets them get away with...

The IRS already gets away with taxing bartering (unlawfully) but I've never seen a case of an individual who has been jailed for bartering without paying income taxes. This is more of a corporate issue affecting large transactions.

Things will be interesting for sure.

I do however support local taxes that the locality determines necessary to fund specific projects. I would also support federal taxes on necessary projects with specific goals.

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
Kouye (OP)

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:28:24 PM

What happens when these crowd-funding communities get bigger and start wasting your money on crap or diddling their expenses and start buying themselves mansions. The problem here is to put into a system or government where your taxes are spent on infrastructure and services and not wars and crap.

Easy. They die from the lack of hospitals, ponder how to cross that river when trying to go to work, cry for 6 weeks vacations to go visit their families using horses, wonder why they don't have water/electricity/internet at home, etc.

Until they realise they have to fund some public services, or live without it.

SirBitsalot

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 10:32:33 PM

Not all taxes can be defined as "an exchange for Government provided services"
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: