Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:46:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: jsoclbm : Browser based GPU miner (open source)  (Read 4044 times)
dalsh (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 19, 2011, 04:40:05 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2011, 02:54:03 PM by dalsh

Hi everyone,

I've just pushed the source of my WebCL open source bitcoin miner here : https://bitbucket.org/dalsh/jsoclbm
This is mostly a javascript port of poclbm. This miner does not use Nokia's Firefox extension. You must download a nightly version of Firefox which includes WebCL. You can find this here : http://gfx.parapluie.org/2011/binaries-for-webcl-and-source

Once it's installed, you can try the project here : http://jsoclbm.parapluie.org/

Any comment will be welcome but I'm quite new to the bitcoin world so please indulge any issue that is bitcoin related in this project Smiley Please also note it is not finished.

You can tip here if you wish : 1Ah4hy4b6qvRBgFQr8uPSGE7GjZwx3yWag

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
iopq

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:09:48 PM

WebCL? Dear lord, I hope this doesn't get popular or every website will be trying to steal your mhashes
Stupidpal

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:11:03 PM

It isn't working.
dalsh (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 05:27:39 PM

WebCL? Dear lord, I hope this doesn't get popular or every website will be trying to steal your mhashes
WebCL is disabled by default and it'll probably stay like that for long

It isn't working.
I'm using it right now. What's the problem ?
dalsh (OP)

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 02:40:57 PM

Nokia's WebCL extension compliant version here http://webcl.nokiaresearch.com/jsoclbm/

(thanks to Tomi Aarnio from Nokia)
Matoking

Activity: 352
Merit: 250

Firstbits: 1m8xa

View Profile WWW
September 08, 2011, 05:52:51 PM

I don't see a problem with having a WebCL miner, that is, unless you are mining without asking the user.

The miner however seems to pause when I switch the tab until I return to the tab the miner is on (Nokia WebCL version)

BTC : 1CcpmVDLvR7DgA5deFGScoNhiEtiJnh6H4 - LTC : LYTnoXAHNsemMB2jhCSi1znQqnfupdRkSy
Bitcoin-otc
BitBin - earn bitcoins with your pastes!
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:18:57 PM

The miner however seems to pause when I switch the tab until I return to the tab the miner is on (Nokia WebCL version)

That's a bitch for miners that want to do work in background, but it's a VERY nice feature I hope stays if the user doesn't accept a popup request to gain permissions or something. It'd suck to try to tab out and have whole computer sluggish on another youtube page or something that accesses video processing power.

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 02:51:55 AM

This would make it super simple to setup a mining farm.

I assume there is multi-GPU support.

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2011, 03:25:37 AM

I hardly think Javascript & WebCL would be more efficient than C and OpenCL.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1805

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 06:16:46 AM

I hardly think Javascript & WebCL would be more efficient than C and OpenCL.
He forgot to add the word 'botnet' before 'mining' ... since that is really the only valid reason for this.
Any excuse they come up with is just total bullshit.

Who in their right mind would want to use up buckets of CPU/GPU and mine at a much slower rate than any readily available mining program?
... especially since at the moment there is no way you could do this so that it would cost less to mine that the BTC you would earn when the miner itself would be slower than a dedicated miner that already is borderline to running at a loss
Again it's just people trying to steal CPU/GPU cycles or idiots mining at a loss.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 09, 2011, 03:30:12 PM

Who in their right mind would want to use up buckets of CPU/GPU and mine at a much slower rate than any readily available mining program?

Those trying mining for the first time to see what it's like.  Those supporting the network in case of a 50+% attack.  Those wanting non-technical friends to contribute their idle GPUs to a charitable cause.  In each case, mining efficiency is less important than low set up overhead.  There are probably dozens of other use cases that I'm not creative enough to discover.
LordGreynick

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 09:13:39 PM

Those trying mining for the first time to see what it's like.  Those supporting the network in case of a 50+% attack.  Those wanting non-technical friends to contribute their idle GPUs to a charitable cause.  In each case, mining efficiency is less important than low set up overhead.  There are probably dozens of other use cases that I'm not creative enough to discover.

Do you need your browser to be set up a certain way? Does this product work with all browsers?

Cheers
btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 09:25:40 PM

Do you need your browser to be set up a certain way? Does this product work with all browsers?

Cheers
Currently: Yes, No.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: