Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:20:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for Cryptography related reading?  (Read 594 times)
GelatinousSlime (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:17:19 PM

I've been mining for about 3 weeks now and am starting to get more interested. I'm a developer by day, but haven't had much experience with cryptography related subjects. When I find something that interests me, I like to do a "deep dive" so to speak and get a good fundamental understanding. So, can anyone suggest good reading material both on cryptocurrencies and just cryptography in general?
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 02:38:36 PM

Well GelatinousSlime you can read some interesting stories here. You are welcome.
GelatinousSlime (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 06:12:24 PM

Well GelatinousSlime you can read some interesting stories here. You are welcome.

Thanks, but I was looking more for technical reference (mainly books or ebooks) rather than press releases. Smiley
Graphene

Activity: 36

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:40:35 AM

http://it-ebooks.info/book/3029/
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:14:34 AM

That's a good question, unfortunately I am not aware of books related to this subject and would be very keen to find out as well.

Any links to books for sale on Amazon etc would be most helpful.

Grin
futuredracula

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 07:08:08 AM

You looking for a primer or textbooks? It'd be helpful to know what kind of knowledge you're already bringing to the table
GelatinousSlime (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:57:54 PM

You looking for a primer or textbooks? It'd be helpful to know what kind of knowledge you're already bringing to the table

Well, not entirely sure what the correct answer to that is. Smiley I've got a BS in CS and then 10 years of professional software development experience on top of that. But, as my initial post stated, I haven't really dealt with cryptography much at all so my actual relevant experience on that particular subject I'd still categorize as pretty basic. But I'd like to add it  my list of things I'm fairly knowledgeable about. So maybe the answer is both? I start with the primers and then move onto a textbook?
quantguy

Activity: 16

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:22:58 PM

Well try several ones:
- Koblitz: Number Theory and Cryptography - get the crucial understanding of elliptic curves math from complete zero,
- then try a great "Introduction to Modern Cryptography" by Jonathan Katz and Yehuda Lindell
and you good to go.
kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:50:24 PM

Well try several ones:
- Koblitz: Number Theory and Cryptography - get the crucial understanding of elliptic curves math from complete zero,
- then try a great "Introduction to Modern Cryptography" by Jonathan Katz and Yehuda Lindell
and you good to go.

Both are good, Koblitz is really a must and also very interesting for other things besides crytography. Additionally, Arto Salomaa's Public-Key Cryptography is a classic text regarding, surprsise, public-key cryptography and I found it was particularly clear and well-written.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: