Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:10:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The maximum possible value of Bitcoins compared to fiat  (Read 8494 times)
tacotime (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:06:36 PM

About 5.5 billion troy ounces of gold exist right now in purified form on planet Earth.  At $1,200 USD per oz, that's $6.6 trillion USD as a market capitalisation.

If you split the same market capitalization among Bitcoin, the price of a single Bitcoin would be $314,286 USD.

That's a lot of room left to grow yet for gold market capitalization parity.

What do you think the maximum price or market cap will be for Bitcoin, and why?

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 04:18:16 PM

I think we're doing it wrong. I think there will be a time when paper won't be able to buy bitcoin, thus making Bitcoin a global currency. And if we have a global currency, I bet we'll have a global government.

And, what if, what if, this global goverment would endorse bitcoin in such way buying or selling is permitted only with bitcoins?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 04:22:06 PM

I think we're doing it wrong. I think there will be a time when paper won't be able to buy bitcoin, thus making Bitcoin a global currency. And if we have a global currency, I bet we'll have a global government.

And, what if, what if, this global goverment would endorse bitcoin in such way buying or selling is permitted only with bitcoins?
lol cash out already Grin
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:37:47 PM

There is no maximum possible value because the value is described by the quantity theory: PQ=MV.  Since PQ have no maximum value, i.e. economic growth has no fundamental upper bound, neither does MV.  In practice, the economy is limited by energy supply, but it is always theoretically possible to increase the energy supply through changes in technology.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

there's not much more room for bitcoin to go.  Next level is regulation and mainstream (which defeats the purpose of its existence anyway), which is a huge step forward.  40% of americans already know what it is.  Ask someone on the street if they think bitcoin is a big deal.  Answer is NO.

So the dilemna with bitcoin is that for its price to skyrocket it has to abandon its roots.  Basically, bitcoin is kind of like a joke right now.

Dragonkiller

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 05:48:28 PM

there's not much more room for bitcoin to go.  Next level is regulation and mainstream (which defeats the purpose of its existence anyway), which is a huge step forward.  40% of americans already know what it is.  Ask someone on the street if they think bitcoin is a big deal.  Answer is NO.

So the dilemna with bitcoin is that for its price to skyrocket it has to abandon its roots.  Basically, bitcoin is kind of like a joke right now.

Less than 150,000 Americans own more than one Bitcoin. Not much more room for growth...  Roll Eyes
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:28:26 PM

there's not much more room for bitcoin to go.  Next level is regulation and mainstream (which defeats the purpose of its existence anyway), which is a huge step forward.  40% of americans already know what it is.  Ask someone on the street if they think bitcoin is a big deal.  Answer is NO.

So the dilemna with bitcoin is that for its price to skyrocket it has to abandon its roots.  Basically, bitcoin is kind of like a joke right now.

40% of Americans know what it is, or they have heard of it?  These are very different statements.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2013, 10:30:27 PM

40% of Americans know what it is, or they have heard of it?  These are very different statements.

It's basically the same thing.
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 10:51:41 PM

40% of Americans know what it is, or they have heard of it?  These are very different statements.

"The same thing?" yeah right.  Hearing about bitcoin and knowing about bitcoin are definitely NOT the same thing. This reminds me of some guy who looked over my shoulder while I was standing in line showing my buddy some charts on my phone. Here's how the conversation went down:

- Random guy  "oh, you do TA?"
- Me               "Not really, I just kinda watch the price."
- My buddy       "yeah, he makes bitcoins!"
- Random guy    "oh yeah? I heard about that, what's the price at?"
- Me                "Thousand bucks"
- Random guy  <blood draining from his face> "... and how much you make per day?"
- Me               "Only one or two"
- Random guy   "..."

at the end of that, the look in his face, I will never forget. I seriously thought he was gonna stab me and try to steal my bitcoins. Lesson learned, I don't mention bitcoin in public anymore.

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
silverbox
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:17:01 PM

Total world money supply is ~70 Trillion 2013 USD.   21 million BTC.

70,000,000,000,000  divided by 21,000,000  = 3.33 Million USD per coin.

Max value of BTC is 3.3 million USD each.  If it were to entirely replace all fiat on the planet..
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 11:45:25 PM

Total world money supply is ~70 Trillion 2013 USD.   21 million BTC.

70,000,000,000,000  divided by 21,000,000  = 3.33 Million USD per coin.

Max value of BTC is 3.3 million USD each.  If it were to entirely replace all fiat on the planet..
Yes and no. If bitcoin is on the whole more useful than fiat, then it could be worth even more. But global bitcoin domination won't happen any time soon if ever. I'm much more comfortable settling for a 100k max for now. I realize the potential is much, much higher going purely by its usefulness compared to alternatives, but there will be resistance along the way. Powerful resistance which we haven't begun to see yet.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 12:18:57 AM

"The same thing?" yeah right.  Hearing about bitcoin and knowing about bitcoin are definitely NOT the same thing. This reminds me of some guy who looked over my shoulder while I was standing in line showing my buddy some charts on my phone. Here's how the conversation went down:

- Random guy  <blood draining from his face> "... and how much you make per day?"
- Random guy   "..."

at the end of that, the look in his face, I will never forget. I seriously thought he was gonna stab me and try to steal my bitcoins. Lesson learned, I don't mention bitcoin in public anymore.

shitthatneverhappend.txt
shmadz
Legendary

Activity: 1512

@theshmadz

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:27:50 AM

shitthatneverhappend.txt

whateverdude.getfucked

"You have no moral right to rule us, nor do you possess any methods of enforcement that we have reason to fear." - John Perry Barlow, 1996
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:57:17 AM

Yes, yes - mark of the beast argument.  LOL.  I did think about this too.

Before that happens, I think I'll be switching to Zerocoins. Money laundering will be going nuts.

I guess all the more reason for Governments to intervene and try to shutdown a truly anonymous cryptocurrency.

Everyone in the future world will only have two personas: Public and Secret.  Why? Because Private won't be private anymore.
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:12:53 AM

Total world money supply is ~70 Trillion 2013 USD.   21 million BTC.

70,000,000,000,000  divided by 21,000,000  = 3.33 Million USD per coin.

Max value of BTC is 3.3 million USD each.  If it were to entirely replace all fiat on the planet..
Yes and no. If bitcoin is on the whole more useful than fiat, then it could be worth even more. But global bitcoin domination won't happen any time soon if ever. I'm much more comfortable settling for a 100k max for now. I realize the potential is much, much higher going purely by its usefulness compared to alternatives, but there will be resistance along the way. Powerful resistance which we haven't begun to see yet.

Source of 70 trillion world wide? I know that the worlds GDP is near that number and the monetary base is much lower. The USD has a monetary base at maybe 3-4 trillion. The Euro has 2 billions.

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:14:39 AM

Electric,

How does it feel to be so obtuse as to have sold all your coins dirt cheap and now know that you could have been a millionaire but instead are a pitiful troll on a bitcoin forum?

Sting much? Or do you just tell yourself that since bitcoin has to sell out to prosper that you were better than that all along?

Bwahahahahahahahahahaa.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4469

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:00:28 AM

shitthatneverhappend.txt

whateverdude.getfucked

Shmadz wins.
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:08:28 AM

- Random guy   "..."

Funny story! 

I have a similar one.  Bitcoin came up in a conversation with a young twenty-something guy at my local gym.  He's got a bit of a stock trader / young-tycoon personality.  He mentioned that he started looking seriously into bitcoin in the summer because he thought he could trade it profitably.  He then casually asked what the price is now. 

I said "about $1,000" (the price at this time in November).

You should have seen the look on his face!  I swear I heard the "bu...bump" his heart made when his brain processed the math. 

And EM: there is a world of difference between hearing about bitcoin and knowing about bitcoin.  I heard about bitcoin in 2009; I wish I knew about it a lot sooner. 

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
TERA

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:12:08 AM

Would you guys stop it with the world domination gdp pipe dream.
techgeak300

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:47:56 AM

The moon.   Grin
I was thinking total USD/21million but that thinking is wrong.
Your thought on total amount of gold is also wrong because bitcoin is more
than just a commodity.  Bitcoin allows for so much more then gold.  I am going to say
BTC will easily have a total market cap more than gold+silver.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: