Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:34:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining difficulty  (Read 1002 times)
spaceships (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:07:23 PM

I was wondering if mining difficulty goes down if a coin isn't mined for a while. I was looking at coinwarz, and some coin's difficulty graph appears to be going down over time and I thought it might be because it isn't being mined often. Am I right in thinking that, or is there another reason?
spaceships (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:09:49 PM

Does anyone even know the answer to this?
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:49:52 PM

difficulty is based on the rate new blocks are discovered. If enough people stop mining so that it takes longer than 10 minutes on average to find blocks, then yes, difficulty will go down.
spaceships (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:53:09 PM

Thank you!!
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:28:16 AM

I was wondering if mining difficulty goes down if a coin isn't mined for a while. I was looking at coinwarz, and some coin's difficulty graph appears to be going down over time and I thought it might be because it isn't being mined often. Am I right in thinking that, or is there another reason?

Yep, means the coin is dying probably.
hvezdasmrti

Activity: 797
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:09:58 AM

Not exactly, it means there is better pump and dump coin to mine  Grin

In Pump and Dump we trust.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:13:03 AM

Not exactly, it means there is better pump and dump coin to mine  Grin

True enough! Or it could be dying ..... I'm sure they can't all survive else soon we will have more altcoins than people.
hvezdasmrti

Activity: 797
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 05:18:06 AM

just depends on AMD production capacities  Grin Greedy miners will buy 'em all. The more fanATIcs the more PumpnDumpcoins can live no matter how worthless they will between pumps be.  Grin

Of course, i am joking, there must be some purging of many pseudocoins, almost the clones of clones. But some got popular and it will take some time until dust settles and people move to the next "hype" coin leaving the old hype coin falling.

In Pump and Dump we trust.
asdlolciterquit

Activity: 1666
Merit: 565

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:40:24 AM

good question!!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:53:08 AM

just depends on AMD production capacities  Grin Greedy miners will buy 'em all. The more fanATIcs the more PumpnDumpcoins can live no matter how worthless they will between pumps be.  Grin

Of course, i am joking, there must be some purging of many pseudocoins, almost the clones of clones. But some got popular and it will take some time until dust settles and people move to the next "hype" coin leaving the old hype coin falling.

I wonder what % of people actually make money producing pseudocoins? But the same question can be asked of bitcoins given the hashrate.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: