Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:32:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Newbie & Programmer  (Read 838 times)
Alzadarr (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:25:06 PM

Welp I made a post (about half a page) but the site just so happened to session_destroy() me right before I could post it, so everything was trashed   Undecided

Anyways, I'm new to Bitcoins but have been reading about them for a little while.

I'm a programmer (self-taught) and know the following languages (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being I can do them in my sleep, 1 being I'm just starting):
  • AutoHotkey ( 8 )
  • C ( 6 )
  • C++ ( 7 )
  • C# ( 6 )
  • Java ( 3 )
  • JavaScript ( 4 )
  • MIPS ( 4 )
  • Python ( 6 )
  • PHP ( 9 )
  • PDO & MySQL ( 9 )
  • XHTML/CSS ( 7 )
  • HTML5 ( 5 )

I'm looking for fellow programmers to work with & learn from. I'll probably be joining a few bitcoin IRC channels sometime soon, so feel free to message me in those if you see me.
That's all for now.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 07:28:51 PM

Hi Alzadarr, welcome to the forum.

bitdolla

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:47:39 PM

Thats cool. Im just reading up on everything and not looking to create anything just yet although I am also a web dev.
ryanzor

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 08:54:27 PM

I'm also a programmer.  What are you looking to work on?
minefieldplayer

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 23, 2013, 09:30:15 PM

i like to program in c++ as its pretty cool if you think about it.
abstractednerve

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

Bcnex - The Ultimate Blockchain Trading Platform

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:29:19 AM

I learned c++ and php in uni so that is what i was looking to use.

▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄██████████▌ ██████████▄
▄████████▀       ▀███████▄
▄████████  ▄██████▄████████▄
█████████  ▀██▀  ▄██████████
▐██████████▄     ▀███████████▌
▐█████████████  ▄  ▀█████████▌
█████████████ ▐██  █████████
▀████████▀██████▀  ████████▀
▀███████▄       ▄████████▀
▀██████████▌ ██████████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
.$martFund.

▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
▀       ▀
▀▄▄   ▄▄▀█      ▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
   ▀█▀   █    ▄▀       ▀
▄   █   ▄█▄   █▀▄▄   ▄▄▀
  ▀▀▄█▄▀▀   ▀▀▄█   ▀█▀   
     █▄       ▄▄   █   ▄█▄
     █ ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀ █ ▀▀▄█▄▀▀   ▀▀
     █    █    █    █▄       ▄█
  ▄▄▀▀▀▄▄ █ ▄▄▀▀▀▄▄ █ ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀
▀       ▀▀       ▀    █   
▀▄▄   ▄▄▀▀▄▄   ▄▄▀█▀▄▄ █ ▄▄
   ▀█▀      ▀█▀   █   ▀▀▀
▄   █   ▄▄   █   ▄
  ▀▀▄█▄▀▀   ▀▀▄█▄▀▀
..One-stop Blockchain..
..Investment Solution..
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████▀    ▐███████
███████████    ▄▄█████████
▐██████████▀    ▀▀█████████▌
▐█████████▌       █████████▌
▐███████████    ███████████▌
███████████    ███████████
██████████    ██████████
▀████████▄  ▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀

Alzadarr (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:38:03 AM

Sorry about the delay, had a lot of work to do today & just got some free time.

Hi Alzadarr, welcome to the forum.
Thanks

Thats cool. Im just reading up on everything and not looking to create anything just yet although I am also a web dev.
Well I figure the best way to learn is to dive in

I'm also a programmer.  What are you looking to work on?
I'll have to get back to you on that. Some ideas I have probably just aren't practical, but as I read up on bitcoins more and more I'm sure I can narrow it down. I've already got enough code from other projects to begin a website, but I need to code up some mechanism for accepting and validating transactions quickly (I've already found a few possible ways, and there are even some free services that do it for you).
I'd really like to have some sort of gaming site. Not sure about allowing gambling between players for matches or maybe some ad-supported gaming with a bitcoin reward system. Then again there's probably already stuff like that. Once I get into IRC I'll put the network I'll be using in my sig or something (when I'm able to do so). Any language preference you have? I assume it's one of the ones I listed. I'll probably lean towards web development in the beginnings because I've been working more in those fields for the past few months.

i like to program in c++ as its pretty cool if you think about it.
Yep, popular and decent language. How long have you been using it?

I learned c++ and php in uni so that is what i was looking to use.
Sounds good, perhaps we will collaborate.
BitOrca

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

Buy and Sell Templates and Themes with Bitcoin.

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 02:23:30 AM

Welp I made a post (about half a page) but the site just so happened to session_destroy() me right before I could post it, so everything was trashed   Undecided

Anyways, I'm new to Bitcoins but have been reading about them for a little while.

I'm a programmer (self-taught) and know the following languages (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being I can do them in my sleep, 1 being I'm just starting):
  • AutoHotkey ( 8 )
  • C ( 6 )
  • C++ ( 7 )
  • C# ( 6 )
  • Java ( 3 )
  • JavaScript ( 4 )
  • MIPS ( 4 )
  • Python ( 6 )
  • PHP ( 9 )
  • PDO & MySQL ( 9 )
  • XHTML/CSS ( 7 )
  • HTML5 ( 5 )

I'm looking for fellow programmers to work with & learn from. I'll probably be joining a few bitcoin IRC channels sometime soon, so feel free to message me in those if you see me.
That's all for now.

come by #bitorca one time Smiley  We are on freenode

Admin @ BitOrca | Contact: admin@bitorca.com | Twitter |  Sell/Buy Bitcoin code! @ BitOrca | OrcaBlog | Best Bitcoin Tool Competiton!

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:13:29 AM

PDO & MySQL ( 9 )

Didn't know MySql and PDO were programming languages... They are not mysql is database and skill. PDO is an object that makes communicating with mysql a lot safer.
Alzadarr (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 08:36:12 PM

PDO & MySQL ( 9 )

Didn't know MySql and PDO were programming languages... They are not mysql is database and skill. PDO is an object that makes communicating with mysql a lot safer.
What I meant was that I was familiar with the syntax and use of MySQL & PDO.
PDO is an abstraction layer for PHP (an extension) & PHP employs drivers and plugins for accessing MySQL (as do python & perl). This basically means I'm referring to extensions/libraries of a scripting language. While you may take a particular item in a list literally, lists are usually abridged or abbreviated (though, in the case it was pointless because I had to type up this long response for you to understand what I meant). You're supposed to use context clues.
Also, I felt it was worth noting because some people use only MySQL or a different DBMS & thus a different syntax entirely. You'll also notice I put scripting languages there as well, which you can take literally and say that I'm wrong again in calling them "programming languages" because they're not compiled. I figure this is the bitcoin forum, not stack exchange; was such technicality really needed for a newbie forum post?
topshibedoge

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 08:55:54 PM

I'm a programmer too. Mostly C and x86 assembly. My #1 interest is writing emulators for CPUs/systems in software. Very fun... and sometimes frustrating.  Wink
kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:47:14 PM

I'm a programmer too. Mostly C and x86 assembly. My #1 interest is writing emulators for CPUs/systems in software. Very fun... and sometimes frustrating.  Wink

Cool! What kind of things have you done? x86 ASM is a pain in the ass though. I like assembly but I stick to the good old 6502. A lot prettier too. Can't find much beauty in the Z80, x86 etc. stuff I've been looking into. Wasting those cycles like hell!

But what I wanted to say, I know a really good programming project. It's making firstbits addresses work again, a working firstbits lookup. For example, I might have an address starting with 1kuverty, and if that was the first address in the blockchain to start with those characters, then 1kuverty would be my firstbits address. They were popular some time ago, but they were criticized a lot and now there is no working service for those.
It should be a doable project for someone who knows programming and a great intro to Bitcoin-related stuff, parsing the blockchain for addresses. For extra credit you could do Litecoin/Peercoin/Primecoin too. I'd like to know if someone takes interest in this, I've been interested in doing this but I really can't code. I hope you find interesting stuff to program involving Bitcoin, there is a load of things to do... happy hacking!
topshibedoge

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:53:09 PM

Cool! What kind of things have you done? x86 ASM is a pain in the ass though. I like assembly but I stick to the good old 6502. A lot prettier too. Can't find much beauty in the Z80, x86 etc. stuff I've been looking into. Wasting those cycles like hell!

Yeah, x86 is goofy as hell that's for sure. 6502 is great! My two main projects are actually emulating both of those (8086 and 6502)...

An 8086/80186 PC emulator http://sourceforge.net/p/fake86
And my 6502 emulator is part of my NES emu http://sourceforge.net/p/moarnes

But what I wanted to say, I know a really good programming project. It's making firstbits addresses work again, a working firstbits lookup. For example, I might have an address starting with 1kuverty, and if that was the first address in the blockchain to start with those characters, then 1kuverty would be my firstbits address. They were popular some time ago, but they were criticized a lot and now there is no working service for those.
It should be a doable project for someone who knows programming and a great intro to Bitcoin-related stuff, parsing the blockchain for addresses. For extra credit you could do Litecoin/Peercoin/Primecoin too. I'd like to know if someone takes interest in this, I've been interested in doing this but I really can't code. I hope you find interesting stuff to program involving Bitcoin, there is a load of things to do... happy hacking!

That's an interesting project actually, but I don't know nearly enough about the tech details of these cryptocurrencies to do it.  Undecided
kuverty

Activity: 770
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:06:20 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 11:20:09 PM by kuverty

That's awesome man, I'll check out your NES emulator!

I don't know how technical it would be, you should be able to look at the blockchain and then find bitcoin addresses there and see the order. I'd suppose it's nothing too complicated, no need to mess with cryptography or transactions. You might want to look into it, I'm considering myself but I don't know...

Here's Python source for some firstbits lookup, I haven't even seen it but I'll consider checking it out later: https://github.com/bitcoin-abe/bitcoin-abe/blob/master/Abe/firstbits.py

Edit: And BTW, if you haven't seen this, take a look: http://visual6502.org/
Transistor-by-transistor hardware simulation of the 6502. Very neat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: