Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:49:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: So sick and tired of being afraid  (Read 2446 times)
accord01 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:22:28 AM

The money involved with bitcoin is serious money and life changing money.  But lets take a look at the only services that are managing our money:

1) MTGOX -- an absolute joke, incompetent, nonchalant about everything, " OH, you have 500,000usd stuck on our site, oh well".

2) Coinbase -- not as incompetent as MTGOX, but even more dishonest and fraudulent and gets away with it for now, because they are the only service of its kind.  See this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=341082.0

3) Bitcoin.org -- spelling errors, unsecure website, bitcoin qt problems, etc.  Why is the main bitcoin client so hard to use?  I have the best computer out there today and it is still unable to download the block chain without crashing something.  I mean all the founders have made millions from newbies and they can't hire someone to fix up the original website/software?

4) alternate clients-- multibit works sometimes, and other times there are bugs.  electrum relies on a server, and i've yet to use it.

5) All the other exchanges: bitstamp, bitfinex, etc.... they are offering good services, haven't screwed up royally like MTGOX or Coinbase yet, but they are still treading on thin ice.

For bitcoin to "make it", it has to go mainstream and be regulated.  But for it to go mainstream, that goes against its original intended purposes.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:32:34 AM

I'm affraid if they get hacked or have any other trouble we won't hear from them ever again. They will just disappear with whatever they manage to steal. What stops these guys from doing it now? Only the fact that BTC value increases so it's too early to close the business, but I feel they may run for it later on.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:38:21 AM

Regarding exchanges, we can at least fix the case of operators stealing bitcoins.

http://bitcoinism.blogspot.com/2013/12/voting-pools-how-to-stop-plague-of.html
teukon
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:41:29 AM

I have the best computer out there today and it is still unable to download the block chain without crashing something.

The IBM Lenovo ThinkPad X60 (with coreboot and Trisquel) is unable to download the blockchain without crashing!  More details please.  I was planning to buy one as soon as gluglug.org.uk start accepting bitcoin and this revelation might well change my mind.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 10:46:33 AM

It is a piss take, I'm sorry but many of the exchanges you've listed are being completely incompetent with how they're run or just blatantly invasive of privacy, I promise you the day is coming when free email services and just about anything in fiat are going to force you to sign up with a government issued I.D just so you can use their services.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:03:39 AM

The money involved with bitcoin is serious money and life changing money.  But lets take a look at the only services that are managing our money:

1) MTGOX -- an absolute joke, incompetent, nonchalant about everything, " OH, you have 500,000usd stuck on our site, oh well".

2) Coinbase -- not as incompetent as MTGOX, but even more dishonest and fraudulent and gets away with it for now, because they are the only service of its kind.  See this thread:

3) Bitcoin.org -- spelling errors, unsecure website, bitcoin qt problems, etc.  Why is the main bitcoin client so hard to use?  I have the best computer out there today and it is still unable to download the block chain without crashing something.  I mean all the founders have made millions from newbies and they can't hire someone to fix up the original website/software?

4) alternate clients-- multibit works sometimes, and other times there are bugs.  electrum relies on a server, and i've yet to use it.

5) All the other exchanges: bitstamp, bitfinex, etc.... they are offering good services, haven't screwed up royally like MTGOX or Coinbase yet, but they are still treading on thin ice.

For bitcoin to "make it", it has to go mainstream and be regulated.  But for it to go mainstream, that goes against its original intended purposes.  

Understand what you are saying. So many bad services, so much fraud. I've vote for bitstamp over bitfinex any time though, and urge you to use electrum.

Regulation isn't the answer. Better services driven through competition and *law enforcement* are though.
accord01 (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:15:30 AM

Understand what you are saying. So many bad services, so much fraud. I've vote for bitstamp over bitfinex any time though, and urge you to use electrum.

Regulation isn't the answer. Better services driven through competition and *law enforcement* are though.

Obviously bitstamp> bitfinex... but they are both in the same boat and almost 50% of bitstamp traffic is from bitfinex...

So electrum > multibit?  Doesn't it rely on centralized servers or something?
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:45:37 AM

Regarding exchanges, we can at least fix the case of operators stealing bitcoins.

http://bitcoinism.blogspot.com/2013/12/voting-pools-how-to-stop-plague-of.html

Interesting article, appreciate it. On the topic of voting pools, it links back to what we discussed in the pybitcointools thread - you're going to need big multisigs, don't know if you saw my latest reply there but Vitalik has included pushing txs to eligius, presumably specifically for this reason.

To OP: On the topic of alt. clients, "electrum relies on a server" - you do realise that a rogue server cannot steal your bitcoins, right?
A fake version of the wallet client is the real danger, and that applies to all local wallets.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
Pantagruel

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:46:39 AM

Don't let your money sit there, and you will be just fine.
Yamabushi

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 11:55:14 AM

Dont forget F***ing Cryptsy, for the last couple of hours every canceled trade will eat your coins, not refunding as it should... not to mention the speed...

DVC: 15RMvERNhEwSPAcQaspMYfH53wJW3ba27w BTC: 1KQ3mPXRATnmtw52wFvNZ8rhukb1NGAo9X LTC: LdsBg9G4sg2tRnRghy8KhWqzRrXwbsExXh XPM: ALhicQtVADti2gF5HADxjV4GVoNPwZaB2E DOGE: DNk8WrNXTUbyWP6PubQE5DMj7TxJACNY84 SEC: BFYP71xEF9H4YNc2bffFP1qeyiyAStRXmQ
accord01 (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:19:34 PM

Dont forget F***ing Cryptsy, for the last couple of hours every canceled trade will eat your coins, not refunding as it should... not to mention the speed...

obviously.  The list almost doesn't end.  I can think of a hundred other incompetent greedy businesses within bitcoin.  There is no solid organization in bitcoin.  It is all filled with scum.
meade16

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 12:27:14 PM

Agreed, they are shit.
shadowninjax

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 12:54:30 PM
Last edit: December 24, 2013, 04:31:42 PM by shadowninjax

there really needs to be more competition and fair play in regards to exchange sites.
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 01:21:12 PM

What's wrong with blockchain.info? That's the only place I'd keep coins online.

Bittylicious is the only exchange I'd use, but it's just for buying/selling BTC or FTC for bank transfers, but it is very fast.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 02:17:05 PM

What's wrong with blockchain.info? That's the only place I'd keep coins online.

Bittylicious is the only exchange I'd use, but it's just for buying/selling BTC or FTC for bank transfers, but it is very fast.

True. blockchain.info is solid.

Shame one site stands out though just because it is honest.
e521

Activity: 196

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 03:44:58 PM

The money involved with bitcoin is serious money and life changing money.

I don't understand, what's the problem?
Do you think bitcoin exchanges are not mature or serious enough to handle your money?
Take out your coins and put it somewhere else.
If you don't want to lose FIAT, stay away from any exchange and use your cryptos
Easy!

BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:38:40 PM

i share some of these frustrations, im kinda surprised by the standard in this industry atm...

support @ a big trading exchange should be like the support you get @ a company like pokerstars.  But hey i guess the answer is do a better job yourself.
Skoupi

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Skoupi the Great

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:47:22 PM

Goes against what?  Shocked
quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2013, 04:55:21 PM

Totally agree with OP.  What is it about BTC that brings out all the shady operations?  Is it because it's tough to follow all the regulations if they want to deal with fiat so they all just hide their identities so they can make a break for it if things go bad?

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 07:44:15 PM

Interesting article, appreciate it. On the topic of voting pools, it links back to what we discussed in the pybitcointools thread - you're going to need big multisigs, don't know if you saw my latest reply there but Vitalik has included pushing txs to eligius, presumably specifically for this reason.
I've always assumed that by the time we're ready to deploy voting pools (Fellowtraveler and co. are still coding them) it won't be a problem. Worst case scenario is that the pools needs to privately negotiate with miners to get their transactions included into blocks but that's not the end of the world or anything.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: