Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:08:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MSI R9 290 Random black screens.  (Read 1776 times)
bowen151 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 04:09:38 PM

Anyone get around the R9 290 random black screens?

MSI Z77A-G45 - G1610 - Corsai 860i x2 + add2psu - 5 x MSI R9 290 cards (using powered risers) - Win7 x64 - 8GB RAM - Latest AMD 9.5 beta video drivers (the ones that supposedly stop the black screen).

Does BAMT support these cards and would a change from win7 to a linux based OS fix the random black screens? These are happening at random times like sometimes after I boot into windwos everything is fine for an hour or two, other times its a minute or two, I have gotten mining and my settings are tuned nicely I believe but these random black screens lock the entire system up. I can't even teamview into the box after it happens.

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gamer67

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

тσ ¢σιи σя иσт тσ ¢σιи?

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:57:33 PM

I had the same problem with two 290x's (no problems with four of my 7970's). I seemed to solve it using beta 9.5 and sdk 2.9

I did not install the cat control center as I have no need for crossfire at the moment and control the cards settings via cgminer anyway. I am not sure if this helped or not.

I still get the occasional black screen but it recovers itself after a second or two. No indication of what caused it or why. No resetting of the driver or sick card. Everything is still running as it should.

Windows 8.1 x64

Your mileage might vary.  Wink

"I am not Dorian Nakamoto."
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:48:09 PM

Anyone get around the R9 290 random black screens?

MSI Z77A-G45 - G1610 - Corsai 860i x2 + add2psu - 5 x MSI R9 290 cards (using powered risers) - Win7 x64 - 8GB RAM - Latest AMD 9.5 beta video drivers (the ones that supposedly stop the black screen).

Does BAMT support these cards and would a change from win7 to a linux based OS fix the random black screens? These are happening at random times like sometimes after I boot into windwos everything is fine for an hour or two, other times its a minute or two, I have gotten mining and my settings are tuned nicely I believe but these random black screens lock the entire system up. I can't even teamview into the box after it happens.

Don't use ADL.  Compile cgminer with "--disable-adl".   If you cannot (or don't know how), at least add "gpu-fan" : "25-50" and remove "auto-fan" : true
cgminer crashes AMD ADL drivers when running with more than two cards.  Once kernel mode code crashes the OS is done.  Only power cycle works.

Changing driver versions, SDKs, motherboards, CPUs, only changes timing.  Sooner rather than later you'll crash your system with 5 cards.

PS. One trick is to RDC to your system and start cgminer from there.  ADL does not work in RDC, so cgminer will not crash ADL drivers if you start it from there.

bowen151 (OP)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:15:59 PM

I got black screens before mining. This was after the desktop loaded up and before mining, sometimes it dies immediately other times it does not, seems random. I tried it with one card and the same thing happens, also before mining so I dont see how I am crashing the system due to ADL issues.

I boot up the system and leave it running with no processes open and the display dies.

I am not using the auto fan on these R9 series, seems like they have enough issues with fan control and heat already, i was using afterburner to control the fan speed, locked it at 75%, No OC's, fan only.

I got mining for around 60 minutes max on these cards, I have stripped the rig down to one card and it still happens, the display dies at random times, not mining, mining, one card two card three cards four cards, its the same issue, I've swapped out the other main components and I have it down to either driver issues or an acutal hardware fault on this batch of c ards I received. Either way its too much hardware to sit in the corner useless

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
af_newbie
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 11:29:07 PM

I got black screens before mining. This was after the desktop loaded up and before mining, sometimes it dies immediately other times it does not, seems random. I tried it with one card and the same thing happens, also before mining so I dont see how I am crashing the system due to ADL issues.

I boot up the system and leave it running with no processes open and the display dies.

I am not using the auto fan on these R9 series, seems like they have enough issues with fan control and heat already, i was using afterburner to control the fan speed, locked it at 75%, No OC's, fan only.

I got mining for around 60 minutes max on these cards, I have stripped the rig down to one card and it still happens, the display dies at random times, not mining, mining, one card two card three cards four cards, its the same issue, I've swapped out the other main components and I have it down to either driver issues or an acutal hardware fault on this batch of c ards I received. Either way its too much hardware to sit in the corner useless

Format the drive, do a clean install.  Activate Windows, disable Windows Update, Firewall, disable unused peripherals in BIOS, install only USB and network drivers.
Under power management, configure it so that Windows does not put any h/w to sleep.  Disable any "green" features in the BIOS or MOBO utilities.
Actually it is best not to install any MOBO utilities, just the driver for network and usb.

If you don't get blank screens with Standard VGA, continue to install 13.12 AMD driver, install just the "Display driver", uncheck everything else.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: