Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:32:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal Responsibility  (Read 2083 times)
NghtRppr (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 252

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 20, 2011, 05:22:07 PM

If you do something wrong then you are to blame. Aside from coercion, what anyone else does has absolutely nothing to do with your behavior. You can still choose to do the right thing.
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sovereign

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 07:10:39 PM

People don't want responsibility. They want to do what they want, then take none of the responsibility. They want other people to pay for bad choices. And will take their money if the system allows them to. It's pretty simple but because these people are irresponsible, they keep voting for people who promise to extort as much funds as possible from other people and give to them. This is why you can't have responsibility when there is a mechanism that monopolizes and encourages the use of force (the state) to violently expropriate funds (taxation) from responsible individuals, to fund the irresponsible lifestyles of other individuals.

12uB1LSPrAqeEefLJTDfd6rKsu3KjiFBpa
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 09:03:00 PM

2/10  Would not read again.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
GideonGono

Activity: 1988
Merit: 501

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 05:34:15 AM

If you do something wrong then you are to blame. Aside from coercion, what anyone else does has absolutely nothing to do with your behavior. You can still choose to do the right thing.

+1000

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
ansible adams

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:26:54 AM

I was responsible enough to be born in a stable middle-class American family that prepared me to be prosperous as an adult. People who chose to be born to abusive/crazy/stupid/addicted parents or in the Gaza Strip need to take responsibility for their terrible planning. They're probably the same simpletons who confuse threats of starvation or eviction with real coercion such as income taxes.
fergalish

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:11:31 AM

Most people would agree with this.  The problem lies in getting everyone to agree with what is "wrong" and what is "right".
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:44:50 AM

Indeed. The OP is sophomoric and pointless. But now we are both subscribed and have entered the land of trolls. Prepare for the onslaught of the barbarians, but fear not. We few carry the Sword of Truth and Wisdom that thirsts for troll blood.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
AyeYo

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:28:31 PM

Indeed. The OP is sophomoric and pointless. But now we are both subscribed and have entered the land of trolls. Prepare for the onslaught of the barbarians, but fear not. We few carry the Sword of Truth and Wisdom that thirsts for troll blood.

Cheesy

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:30:37 PM

If you are an advocate of personal responsibility why are you using bitcoin? It relies on everyone working together and trusting eachother to do so in order to function, almost the exact opposite of personal responsibility.
Anonymous

August 24, 2011, 03:54:25 PM

If you are an advocate of personal responsibility why are you using bitcoin? It relies on everyone working together and trusting eachother to do so in order to function, almost the exact opposite of personal responsibility.
Actually, it relies on people in acting in their own self-interest with the dream of future profit and value through Bitcoin. People interacting with each other is only a by product.

The opposite of personal responsibility is being ENTITLED to anothers help which is not the case here.
JA37

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 12:39:27 PM

I was responsible enough to be born in a stable middle-class American family that prepared me to be prosperous as an adult. People who chose to be born to abusive/crazy/stupid/addicted parents or in the Gaza Strip need to take responsibility for their terrible planning. They're probably the same simpletons who confuse threats of starvation or eviction with real coercion such as income taxes.

+1

Grin

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2011, 03:35:12 PM

Not a single troll has put forth an argument of why they aren't personally responsible for their actions, aside from coercion. Typical.
JA37

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 07:09:34 PM

Again, very simplistic view.
While I agree with the principle, life just isn't that simple.

If you're put in a situation where it's constantly very hard to do the right thing and very easy to do the wrong thing, you are still to blame for doing something wrong, but you're not solely responsible. That which put you in that situation shares the blame.

Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
abracadabra

Activity: 956
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 07:10:47 PM

Not a single troll has put forth an argument of why they aren't personally responsible for their actions, aside from coercion. Typical.

Not my fault Wink
AyeYo

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 08:39:31 PM

Do you choose what family you're born into?

ansible adams

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 09:14:56 PM

There is no more evidence for an independent "free will" above and beyond your flesh and blood nervous system than there is for the existence of fairies and unicorns. This does not mean that I think the concept of choice is irrelevant; even obviously deterministic systems like digital computers can be usefully described as making choices. So likewise can less-obviously-deterministic (though still made of and ruled by physical substance) human beings be said to choose. However, like any other organism, humans can be altered by forces not under their control.

One of the most obvious examples is the relationship between lead exposure and mental alteration. Exposure even to low lead levels in children correlates highly with reductions in IQ, short term memory, fine motor skills, and appropriate social interaction. It correlates with increased aggression and risk-taking. Children who are persistently exposed to lead are less able to do well in school, less able to compete in the job market once they grow up, and more likely to engage in crime and violence if they can't make it in normal society. Does this mean that we give a pass to carjackers if we find high lead levels in their bodies? No, but it does mean that trying to solve problems that need collective action by telling others "take personal responsibility" is an abdication of responsibility and a refusal to engage with reality.

Children aren't responsible for their own lead exposure. Even their parents generally aren't responsible. If you grow up in a middle class family America right now, you typically won't be exposed to much lead, due to no special action of your own or of your parents. If you grow up in low income family in America, you're more likely to be in old housing stock where exposure from lead paint dusts and chips is much more common, and to be located near an industrial facility like a smelter or battery recycling plant that emits airborne lead. If you were born in a Ghanaian or Chinese village where some residents make a living burning electronic trash to extract the metals, expect severe lead exposure along with mercury, cadmium, and a heady brew of carcinogenic combustion byproducts.

You don't even need exotic geography to be poisoned: just revisit the 19th century in the US or Great Britain. According to 1855 hearings before Parliament, adulteration of food, beverages, and medicines was endemic in Victorian Britain. For example, more than 85% of cayenne pepper examined on the market was diluted with various poisonous materials. The poisonous pigment red lead oxide was present in more than 45% of cayenne pepper, and in 30% of curry powders! Snuff was adulterated with lead oxide and lead chromate (two toxic metals for the price of one). Candy regularly contained arsenic, lead, and mercury compounds (and this was not even fraud -- there were no meddlesome laws against putting these colorful poisons in candy despite their known effects). In 1880 the Illinois Department of Agriculture published about similar problems on the other side of the Atlantic: poisonous compounds of lead, chromium, mercury, and arsenic in jellies, coffee, spices, lard, sausage, wine, cider, and tea. Turpentine in gin and sulfuric acid in beer. This in addition to dozens of less-dangerous corner cutting schemes such as dilution of butter with lard and coffee with burnt peas.
NghtRppr (OP)

Elder Crypto God

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 09:17:59 PM

Do you choose what family you're born into?

How exactly does that make you no longer responsible for your actions? Are you saying that if you're born into a poor family then you have no choice but to murder, rape and steal? What is your point?

Children aren't responsible for their own lead exposure.

My original post is referring to competent adults, not children or the mentally disabled. I grant that if you are a retard, you aren't necessarily in control of your actions. Everyone else still has to take personal responsibility.
JA37

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 11:32:32 PM

How exactly does that make you no longer responsible for your actions? Are you saying that if you're born into a poor family then you have no choice but to murder, rape and steal? What is your point?
Are you saying that outside influence have no impact on the choices that a person does?

My original post is referring to competent adults, not children or the mentally disabled. I grant that if you are a retard, you aren't necessarily in control of your actions. Everyone else still has to take personal responsibility.
You didn't read the whole thing he wrote, did you?
And what if you didn't get lower IQ, just high agression from the lead poisoning? Then what? Still fully responsible?

Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2011, 11:34:10 PM

i don't think anything is wrong- which is an opinion.... guess i'm not to blame for anything either

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 11:41:09 PM

Are you saying that outside influence have no impact on the choices that a person does?

No, he is saying that outside influences have no bearing on the morality of the choices, and thus little to no bearing on the type of response from society's justice systems.  Having a mental dysfunction is already a consideration in the modern concept of justice and morality, it's just not an excuse.  If you ate lead paint as a child, and then go out a do crazy things as an adult, is that cause and effect?  Clearly it is not, considering the large number of people who were also exposed to lead as children who did not grow up to be clockwork orange characters.  And the excuse about the kind of family one is born into is just as faulty, for all of the upstanding and generally successful people who came from broken, criminal and dysfunctional family influences.

No matter what kind of devil made you do it, you are still responsible for the consequences of your actions.  That is the very definition of adulthood.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: