Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:34:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Dogecoin ever be more than a joke?  (Read 5399 times)
kudrya

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:45:29 PM

I think people are just tired of the huge amount of inspirational new currencys and they just want a little entertainment before Christmas)
guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:13:19 PM

I think people are just tired of the huge amount of inspirational new currencys and they just want a little entertainment before Christmas)

What are all these inspirational new currencies?
Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:52:56 PM

No, nothing more. You can expect something to last that was intended as a joke.

skillface

Activity: 210

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:28:43 PM

People laughed at Bitcoin when it first started out as well. Granted it wasn't based on a meme, but the meme factor may be exactly what keeps Dogecoin (and even Catcoin) going. Dogecoin has introduced a ton of people to Cryptocurrency that otherwise wouldn't have even wanted to know about it. I myself wasn't really interested in Bitcoins or any of the other coins until Dogecoin started up (even though I'm not a fan of the Doge meme), but now I actually understand some of the concepts behind Cryptocurrency.

Even if Dogecoin and other meme currencies only last for a short period, they'll still manage to bring an influx of new people into the community. And ultimately that's probably all that matters. Bitcoin and Litecoin are too mature and too wrapped up in their own desire to be taken seriously to attract many new people.
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 04:59:31 PM

It will rise and be bigger than litecoin. the name is just genius.
blackbyte

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:46:01 PM

Well it's the same with all the other Altcoins out there, it really depends on many factors. The Doge meme has a large community but its hard to tell if this is just a hype that will cool down in the next few weeks. But Catcoins are really getting attention since release, even after the bad start.
That could be the end of doge, but on the other hand the classic battle between Cat- and Dog(e)-people is way older than any meme and could bring value to both of these.
baller1

Activity: 38

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:20:50 PM

It does have a sort of draw to it...
WolfBits

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:40:17 PM

I kind of like Dogecoint, it think it's more than a joke.
Jae888

Activity: 8

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:18:03 PM

I am not sure if it will stay around or not but I don't really think that the whole crypto-currency industry has even been around long enough to see what really happens to these alt coins after they mature.  I mean...Bitcoin was around the longest and we know how that's been going....Litecoin has been around the second longest and that's going pretty well so far.....there's a chance (in my mind anyways) that over the long term....there's a place for many of these alt coins for all different purposes.  When you think about it....the entire world is a big place with many people....if everyone eventually started using crypto-currencies as a  normal part of their everyday reality....that's a lot of people and those people could sustain the use of a lot of different types of currencies if they wanted to....so really.....none of the coins ever have to die....they can just kind of ebb and flow....for periods of time, they could become abandoned and 'die'.....but they could always get resurrected again if there was a want/need out there for them...so the possibilities are really interesting to wonder about.....I would be more inclined to expect the coins that are there now to last because I think the value of the coins really comes into play as they mature and start to get used more widely. 

A business won't really want to change the types of coins it accepts everyday (even though there are new coins that emerge each day right now)....just like a business doesn't want to post links to a whole bunch of social media sites on their website.  They usually tend to list 3....the top three (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn....or some variation of that).....I think that eventually.....businesses (generally speaking) will settle on the top three crypto-currencies that they will accept (or something like that).....once all of the new crypto-currency innovations level off and there's nothing really new to offer anymore (I guess there could always be new coins getting created even after all of the major upgrade innovations have occured...but at a certain point there won't be any real purpose for them other than to get the initial people that created them and early adopters rich...which doesn't really add a lot of value to the space).....then I think the length of time that the coin has been in existence as well as how widely accepted it is will really come into play...just my 2 cents of course.....
cosmofly

Activity: 532

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:19:59 PM

doge must die

WolfBits

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:24:20 PM

doge must die
I'm wondering if PETA likes Dogecoins  Roll Eyes
Lightweight

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:36:22 PM

vice doge

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/dogecoins-founders-believe-in-the-power-of-meme-currencies
CoinPN

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:41:57 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2013, 07:55:45 PM by CoinPN

It started as a joke, but time will pass and Doge value will increase.
wjohnny

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:43:20 PM

i have zero doge coin, and i dont mine it....

if someone has 1000s of doge coin or more, feel free to send me a few doges to get me started!

DU5LMWyN6afxG3PFkFaVXWtSANcGWQZPmH
ExtraExtra

Activity: 38

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:47:27 PM

Hard to say but I think the reddit doge tips is a great way to promote the coin and keep it going.

Plus there's such a community behind silly dog (and cat) pics, that I can't see it going away anytime soon, even if
it's only used as a currency to tip photographers/artists. Think of how many animal pics are created every day!

Whale

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:59:00 PM

There is so many crypto currency. Many of them arent worth it
Iamcloud

Activity: 39

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:07:45 PM

It got big too fast Shocked
Sands

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:09:53 PM

It was fun while the real hype lasted.
HunterCrypto

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:11:53 PM

I think Dogecoin will always be a joke and as long as there's hype around it, it'll stay going up. It got dumped a couple times and I think it'll be a rollercoaster all the way down until people get tired of it and just dump it all for good.  Grin
Xeanor

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:13:29 PM

Not much else to say, it was a hype, people bought them and mined them until they finally realized that you can't actually do anything at all with them, I guess. If a new coin wants to survive it you have to be able to use them, and if the exchange rate is just a downward graph then nobody will really be interesting in getting in on it. All the miners just jump onto the next train to ride.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: