Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:54:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PC just died  (Read 1514 times)
BitMofo (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 08:52:45 PM

So my newly built PC just dropped dead on me this evening...
It is about 2 weeks old!
I was in the middle of a game and it froze. When I powered back on, I now get absolutely no signal to the monitor. No bios, start screen or anything. The standby light stays orange.

At first I figured it must be the cheap memory which I bought, however on removing it and trying to boot, still no start screen etc...
Could my graphics card be fried from mining? Or perhaps my motherboard has died?

If anyone has experienced similar issues I would appreciate your advice. All parts are new so still have warranty, just need to figure out what's broken first!

Thanks

1HNffyHktcD2iB6WJhPxKbALJdg4dwerTG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
foolofyork

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 09:14:19 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2011, 09:31:02 PM by foolofyork

Does it fail to turn on altogether?  Does it beep when you turn it on?  Do all your fans still spin up when you press the power button?

If you have a spare video card, remove the current one, plug in the spare and see if it boots up.  If not, it's probably not the video card that's busted.

If no lights, fans, etc. turn on when you press the power button, I'd guess a busted power supply (you can check if a PSU is good or not with a cheap PSU tester - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003).

If it's neither of these, you're looking at a fried mobo most likely.

Generally speaking, if you don't hear your mobo's POST beep code (the little beep when you boot up a PC, one beep usually means everything is good;  look in your mobo manual for further info about POST beep codes) and you're sure the mobo speaker is plugged in correctly, most signs point to dead mobo.  If you get some sort of beep code, it's probably something else.

NOTE: POST will fail without a functional video card, but you should still hear some sort of audible confirmation.  Same thing with RAM or CPU.  If it's missing or defective, you should hear some sort of beep at the POST.  If no beep - dead mobo.

EDIT:  I'm glad to help if you have any other questions.  I'll be back to check occasionally.  I'm always lurking these forums anyway.

EDIT2:  This is a fantastic step-by-step guide to troubleshooting power problems - http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53866.html
BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 09:40:48 PM

Does it fail to turn on altogether?  Does it beep when you turn it on?  Do all your fans still spin up when you press the power button?

If you have a spare video card, remove the current one, plug in the spare and see if it boots up.  If not, it's probably not the video card that's busted.

If no lights, fans, etc. turn on when you press the power button, I'd guess a busted power supply (you can check if a PSU is good or not with a cheap PSU tester - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003).

If it's neither of these, you're looking at a fried mobo most likely.

Generally speaking, if you don't hear your mobo's POST beep code (the little beep when you boot up a PC, one beep usually means everything is good;  look in your mobo manual for further info about POST beep codes) and you're sure the mobo speaker is plugged in correctly, most signs point to dead mobo.  If you get some sort of beep code, it's probably something else.

NOTE: POST will fail without a functional video card, but you should still hear some sort of audible confirmation.  Same thing with RAM or CPU.  If it's missing or defective, you should hear some sort of beep at the POST.  If no beep - dead mobo.

EDIT:  I'm glad to help if you have any other questions.  I'll be back to check occasionally.  I'm always lurking these forums anyway.

EDIT2:  This is a fantastic step-by-step guide to troubleshooting power problems - http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53866.html

Thanks for that!

Got no spare video card, but house mates back tomorrow so can try his out.

It's not the power supply, everything powers up fine Smiley Will be pretty hard to destroy a 850watt when I'm only using about 200watt at the moment!

No beeps at all, even with memory out which suggests mobo is dead... Still under warranty so can get that sorted. Not 100% sure if I even plugged in the mobo audio though so going to check in a minute.

BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 10:04:34 PM
Last edit: August 20, 2011, 10:17:24 PM by BitMofo

OK some more info...

With memory in, the vga_led red light comes on and stays on. I think this means video card isn't detected?

With memory out, I get 2 beeps and still no boot and the memory red light stays on.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

Just got some life... Put the memory into different DIMM and has booted up fine! Does this mean the DIMM slot is faulty on mobo? Or is the ram just crap?

deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 10:20:58 PM

it sounds like you overheated and either the slot or channel responsible for that slot has failed on the motherboard if the dimm works in the other slot the dimm is still functional.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 10:36:13 PM

it sounds like you overheated and either the slot or channel responsible for that slot has failed on the motherboard if the dimm works in the other slot the dimm is still functional.

It just died on me again... After 10minutes, frozen screen, no way out of it had to power off on PC...

Won't power on again, even with memory in the new slot?

deslok

Activity: 462

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:08:10 PM

I'm sorry to inform you your description fits a completely dead motherboard or failed psu I would replace both in this case since I have a feeling you overheated.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:15:58 PM

I'm sorry to inform you your description fits a completely dead motherboard or failed psu I would replace both in this case since I have a feeling you overheated.

Mental... Every part is like brand new... Doubt I overheated though, got 4 120mm fans (2 at top sucking all air out) and graphics + processor not overclocked... I'll try my housemates memory when he's back just in case, otherwise the motherboards going back to manufacture Sad It's a P8P67 Pro btw, from looking across internet, looks like many have problems with it... PSU is fine, Corsair HX850.
Thanks for help!

joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:21:00 PM

look for capacitors with bulging tops or any discoloration on top. the tops should be completely flat.

mooo for rent
BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 20, 2011, 11:33:21 PM

look for capacitors with bulging tops or any discoloration on top. the tops should be completely flat.

Everything looks absolutely fine on mobo, just cleared CMOS and took battery out and put back in to remove any memory settings... Still no joy!
It's the video card light that lights up now..

It's either going to be mobo or ram that's dead... Just praying it's the ram!

steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 05:50:11 AM

Check if fan came off cpu
Check that video card settings are default.
Check power supply.
Check temps if you can get it started again.  Did you downclock memory.  If you did try it  in another computer.
Check to make sure memory is seated solid.
Check to see if power cable to board is snap on, tug it a little.
Make sure 4/8 pin is attached to mobo.
Check to see if video card is in snug.
Pull memory out and put back in same slot.
leeloulee

Activity: 98

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:47:10 AM

when it gets back mabey underclock ram if its for mining and ur over heating it

SGT longdong
BitMofo (OP)

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 08:49:34 PM

Check if fan came off cpu
Check that video card settings are default.
Check power supply.
Check temps if you can get it started again.  Did you downclock memory.  If you did try it  in another computer.
Check to make sure memory is seated solid.
Check to see if power cable to board is snap on, tug it a little.
Make sure 4/8 pin is attached to mobo.
Check to see if video card is in snug.
Pull memory out and put back in same slot.

Confirmed dead graphics card, sent it off for replacement today!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: