Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The REAL alternatives to Bitcoin - Nxt, MMC, Sky, Master...  (Read 7213 times)
tk808 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:59:39 PM

With this forum being flooded by giveaways and dogecoin bullshit, it's time to discuss the state of alt coins.
There are 100+ forums for pump and dumb, get rich quick coins.

For example, Mastercoin was just released on coinmarketcap and with little or no promotion already has $60mil market cap. This is not even being discussed on these forums.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
olinnebit

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:48:09 AM

In case you haven't seen it and want to read the Mastercoin thread; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=265488.2620  Smiley

giveBTCpls

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:20:54 AM

How do you mine mastercoin?

yorich

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:39:17 AM

With this forum being flooded by giveaways and dogecoin bullshit, it's time to discuss the state of alt coins.

For example, Mastercoin was just released on coinmarketcap and with little or no promotion already has $60mil market cap. This is not even being discussed on these forums.

dogcoin bullshit?   Funny, I just sold for a 300% ROI. 
olinnebit

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:24:01 PM

dogcoin bullshit?   Funny, I just sold for a 300% ROI. 

I am not sure you fully understood OP. DOGE is still a BS coin - it offers nothing new, pure hype. The fact that people are making money of it does not mean it is not BS. OP asked about the real alternatives to Bitcoin, i.e. potential currencies. Making 300% ROI does not make DOGE a potential currency, it made it a good investment for you at the time you sold it. The beauty of DOGE is that people who hadn't heard about crypto currencies now know they exist!

RenegadeMind
Copper Member

Activity: 1380
Merit: 504

THINK IT, BUILD IT, PLAY IT! --- XAYA

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 01:31:18 PM

I am not sure you fully understood OP. DOGE is still a BS coin - it offers nothing new, pure hype. The fact that people are making money of it does not mean it is not BS. OP asked about the real alternatives to Bitcoin, i.e. potential currencies. Making 300% ROI does not make DOGE a potential currency, it made it a good investment for you at the time you sold it. The beauty of DOGE is that people who hadn't heard about crypto currencies now know they exist!

The size of the dogecoin network makes it not bullshit. The hype only brings new people in to crypto. It's the best coin we've seen all year. Sure, technically it might be BS, but in practice, it's working. Check the Litecoin network size and the Dogecoin network hashrate. DOGE is impressive.

olinnebit

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:29:50 PM

Exactly, technically it is a BS coin, therefore it is a BS coin. Emphasis on coin. It is a cool thing, a nice fad, and good for cryptos overall. The size of the networks means people want to mine it, not use it. As an investment, maybe it is not BS, but as a currency it is strictly BS(at he moment). To put it like this; It is more likely that Satoshi will be awarded the Nobel prize in economics in the far future than the creators of DOGE. (I do not think it is going to happen, I am merely making a point).

It is not working in practice(yet) - you buy goods/services with a currency, you don't buy it on Monday and sell it with profit on Tuesday. The network is what's working in practice.

You guys are not differentiating an investment from a currency, and you are not thinking in the long term. Any "Coin" does not equal a currency, it is not the same. An investment does not equal a currency either. In the future DOGE might be, time will tell us Smiley

Mooshi

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:34:32 PM

I think the point OP was trying to make is that even though coins like DOGE were popular, that it was never meant to be taken seriously.

This is something I understand, there are so many alt coins out there, but many of them have zero professionalism to them. I mean..we have an anoncoin and bbqcoin...there is no way they will ever be worth more than the little they are now. When I was checking out the various coins a few hours ago and their worth, I've noticed Master and right away that caught my attention. If these alt coins are to actually be more accepted, they need to show professionalism.

After all, you can only ride the hype train for so long.
olinnebit

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:17:18 PM

Well said. Like the yoyo or pogs. If anyone remember those.

GigaCoin

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

Giga

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:23:00 PM

I think the point OP was trying to make is that even though coins like DOGE were popular, that it was never meant to be taken seriously.

This is something I understand, there are so many alt coins out there, but many of them have zero professionalism to them. I mean..we have an anoncoin and bbqcoin...there is no way they will ever be worth more than the little they are now. When I was checking out the various coins a few hours ago and their worth, I've noticed Master and right away that caught my attention. If these alt coins are to actually be more accepted, they need to show professionalism.

you are wrong on anoncoin, the dev is active, it's completely anonymous, the coin is unique and they have plans for a coin mixing service along with zerocoin implementation.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 08:28:52 PM

I had the impression that Anoncoin doesn't give you any capabilities that Bitcoin does not?

Can be run over Tor/I2P ? Check. Both can.

What else?

Maybe "its marketing materials stress the darknet stuff a little more than some public Bitcoin-promotional materials"?

Oh whoopie look, the manual slants its take toward a particular target-audience, whoopie.

That seems more a feature of a particular marketing-campaign than of a blockchain or protocol.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
tk808 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:23:15 AM
Last edit: December 26, 2013, 09:37:23 AM by tk808

dogcoin bullshit?   Funny, I just sold for a 300% ROI.  

Exactly! I could not have said it better myself.

How do you mine mastercoin?

You can't. Here is a great summary, from a different forum site, regarding Mastercoin.

"So I've seen alot of people being confused about Mastercoin recently. I'll explain it all you here and now.

There are currently two Mastercoins that exist. One of them is MSC ( the high valued one ), and the other one is MST ( currently trading at around 0.001 LTC per on Cryptsy ).

MST can be mined as per usual and it also comes with a client. This version of Mastercoin however, is dead.

MSC on the other hand, is blowing up right now, trading at 182$ each. There is absolutely no way to generate these coins anymore. The 563,162 MSC that currently exist was created via a "Exodus address" ( similar to the genesis block ). People ( early adopters ) would send a small amount of BTC to this address, and then MSC would be sent back to the same address. Unless the devs pushes out an update, the only way to obtain MSC is to buy it from early adopters.

By sending BTC, you can also send MSC. Mastercoin is essentially bitcoin, but on another layer. If you want to learn how to send, receive and trade MSC, I suggest you read the wiki instead.

http://wiki.mastercoin.org/index.php/Main_Page" - Karuo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: