Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:04:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Economic Idiocy  (Read 4283 times)
brush242 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:02:47 AM

The problem with this particular forum is that it seems that many (most?) of the posters don't really know the slightest thing about basic economics. Not the Austrian School, the Chicago School, Keynesian economcs, Paulsy Krugmanian, Bastiat, Hayek, Mises, Prescott, Lucas, zip. Nada. Nothing.

It reminds me of the people who will happily discuss US budgets and monetary policy, but don't know the first thing about fiat money, the Federal Reserve, what the power of the printing press actually means, or anything else. They are the same people that think that there is a Social Security "Trust Fund" and never pause to think what it would mean to loan money to themselves.

As a greater commentary, beyond this board, it's a very sad thing. This stuff is important.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:57:33 AM

The problem with this particular forum is that it seems that many (most?) of the posters don't really know the slightest thing about basic economics. Not the Austrian School, the Chicago School, Keynesian economcs, Paulsy Krugmanian, Bastiat, Hayek, Mises, Prescott, Lucas, zip. Nada. Nothing.

It reminds me of the people who will happily discuss US budgets and monetary policy, but don't know the first thing about fiat money, the Federal Reserve, what the power of the printing press actually means, or anything else. They are the same people that think that there is a Social Security "Trust Fund" and never pause to think what it would mean to loan money to themselves.

As a greater commentary, beyond this board, it's a very sad thing. This stuff is important.

Rather than moaning about people here not understand economics, why not write something to enlighten us?
Topazan

Activity: 354

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:19:17 AM

I'm curious as to what you observed that leads you to believe this is the case, and what you intend to accomplish by starting this thread.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:30:48 AM

I find it more sad that economists think they know anything when their theories are so useless and almost always wrong.

Modern economics are more like sports commentary or religion than a science.

I'll give you points for mentioning the Austrian school of economics though.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:41:26 AM

I find it more sad that economists think they know anything when their theories are so useless and almost always wrong.

But everyone quotes the "Austrian School", seems to be the most quoted, on these forums anyway. Means nothing to me, but like you say, economists are almost always wrong.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:18:35 AM

But everyone quotes the "Austrian School", seems to be the most quoted, on these forums anyway. Means nothing to me, but like you say, economists are almost always wrong.

Nice post, Back to the roots ... cd ~$
my 2p (pence)

I would suggest that documentary
Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street
http://youtu.be/OINqYdkhOAw

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
bythesea

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:36:47 PM

You don't need to know anything about economics to make money... With bitcoins many who made lots of money had luck. I know few friends who got into it just because someone told them it is funny and that some day it might be worth a lot. Some of them now have 2000-3000BTC
And also most of you I hope knows that money is like IOU, nothing else. It is a paper that is telling me/you how much we owe for something....
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:55:44 PM

You don't need to know anything about economics to make money... With bitcoins many who made lots of money had luck. I know few friends who got into it just because someone told them it is funny and that some day it might be worth a lot. Some of them now have 2000-3000BTC
And also most of you I hope knows that money is like IOU, nothing else. It is a paper that is telling me/you how much we owe for something....

btw,
I found bitcoin stuff while searching for minecraft, because my 8 years old son was looking for a minecraft mod ... so I think own him and I own to BTC community as well for make my life more fun  Wink

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:21:30 PM

well, obviously they are not going to teach you this stuff at school, and everyone knows you don't need to learn anything if they didn't teach it to you at school. Because if it would be important they'd teach it at school right?
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:04:10 PM

Its sad that you see it as a problem. I see it as an opportunity.
Well, sure, that's one way of looking at it, of course. Nothing wrong with that. I sincerely wish you (us) the very best.

Support sidehack miner development. Donations to: 1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 06:46:18 PM

Rather than moaning about people here not understand economics, why not write something to enlighten us?
I most certainly will, as the opportunity arises. This was more a general lament (moaning) on the state of things.

brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:08:13 PM

I'm curious as to what you observed that leads you to believe this is the case, and what you intend to accomplish by starting this thread.
Mostly what I observed as I read beyond mining information.

As far as accomplishing anything, it's just a discussion. I'm always interested in seeing if there's any way to teach people something that they know instinctively and yet deny when it does not suit them.

thepostman

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:20:07 PM

Its sad that you see it as a problem. I see it as an opportunity.

This^^ pretty much sums up the mindset of the majority on this forum -- "Ignorance is bliss."
"I don't know how anything works, so I could definitely do better."
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:35:42 PM

Would you like to provide some reasoning? Your conclusory statements ain't true jest 'cuz yew sez so.

Their "theories" explain human behavior and the choices that humans make. Well, at least the honest economists do.

Yeah, we aim to please. 8^]

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:43:05 PM

Yes, as we can see, public schooling has been quite the success.

/s

brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 07:44:00 PM

This comment illustrates my point precisely.

"I don't know anything about the subject at hand, but I will posit a completely ignorant personal conclusion, without any reasoning whatsoever".

brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:03:31 PM

"I don't know how anything works, so I could definitely do better."
Well played, Sir. Well played.

bitcoinhelp

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:32:56 PM

Yes, as we can see, public schooling has been quite the success.

/s

no child left behind lol
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 08:36:43 PM

Mostly what I observed as I read beyond mining information.

As far as accomplishing anything, it's just a discussion. I'm always interested in seeing if there's any way to teach people something that they know instinctively and yet deny when it does not suit them.

There isn't.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"  - Upton Sinclair wrote this about people who sold adulterated food over 100 years ago.  Its still true today.  
brush242 (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:54:32 PM

There isn't.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"  - Upton Sinclair wrote this about people who sold adulterated food over 100 years ago.  Its still true today.
Which strikes me as funny--an ignorant ideologue stating something very true, while at the same time writing books that suggest he has no idea what his own phrase means.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: