Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:41:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin changed the world... and its price will crash  (Read 6832 times)
BitTrivia

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 09:52:05 PM

Sure they can create a centralized one. But for the first time in history they now have to compete with trustless cryptocurrencies. We've solved a real-world problem that's never been solved before and that changes how things will unfold in the future.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:39:28 PM

Why couldn't they?

Because they have already done that and it failed.  The USD was pegged to gold up until 1971, at which time the Nixon administration arbitrarily decided to cease USD convertibility into gold.  The USD has lost 83% of its value since that time.  This is the entire problem bitcoin solves.  

That doesn't make any sense. You're saying the USD was pegged to gold until 1971. That's true. So that means that they can in fact peg it to gold. Just that it will fail eventually. I wasn't saying it won't fail, it will, but it will take decades to fail. Maybe even 100+ years just like how the USD is still around.

So again, why can't they?

Well yes, technically they could, but there is no point in trying something that has already failed when you have a far superior system.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 10:54:42 PM

Why couldn't they?

Because they have already done that and it failed.  The USD was pegged to gold up until 1971, at which time the Nixon administration arbitrarily decided to cease USD convertibility into gold.  The USD has lost 83% of its value since that time.  This is the entire problem bitcoin solves.  

That doesn't make any sense. You're saying the USD was pegged to gold until 1971. That's true. So that means that they can in fact peg it to gold. Just that it will fail eventually. I wasn't saying it won't fail, it will, but it will take decades to fail. Maybe even 100+ years just like how the USD is still around.

Well yes, technically they could, but there is no point in trying something that has already failed when you have a far superior system.

Oh yeah, and I totally agree. But would the general public agree?
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:07:40 PM

Why couldn't they?

We will let the markets decide and so far so good for bitcoin.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:11:08 PM

Why couldn't they?

I think BigJohn has many valid points: there is precedent for a gold-backed currency (original fiat currencies) and eGold actually was fairly successful for a time ($2 billion per year in velocity, $20 million monetary base).  

But I think HeliKopterBen and BitTrivia have the right idea: "We've solved a real-world problem that's never been solved before and that changes how things will unfold in the future."

Indeed, the pendulum of public perception has swung.  We now distrusts powerful banks, government bureaucracy, and centralized organization.  The future of money is a decentralized cryptocurrency like bitcoin.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
BigJohn

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:04:09 AM

That's the thing that's keeping me hopeful that a Bank or a Government won't be able to compete with Bitcoin.

I'm hoping that people have been burned enough that if some big bank decides to make its own cryptocurrency, people would shy away from it just because it's a bank.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 08:19:34 AM

OP fails pretty badly in understanding network effects  Tongue
Welcome, newbie  Grin
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 08:24:11 AM

OP fails pretty badly in understanding network effects  Tongue
Welcome, newbie  Grin
We've seen this before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
waxwing

Activity: 469
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 02:15:02 PM

Why couldn't they?

I explained why they couldn't in post 19 in this thread.

PGP fingerprint 2B6FC204D9BF332D062B 461A141001A1AF77F20B (use email to contact)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: