Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:24:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which clients still allow zero-fee transactions?  (Read 2179 times)
RoxxR (OP)

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:33:17 AM

Per bitcoin.org:

"Most transactions can be processed without fees, but users are encouraged to pay a small voluntary fee for faster confirmation of their transactions and to remunerate miners."

However, most clients I've tried refuse to send anything without fees.
Any suggestions?
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:53:52 AM

I don't know which still do, but I do know Multibit 0.5.11 does. It's only a couple versions behind, but it allows you to set your fees. If you can get a copy, that should do it.

I do not recommend 0 fees though, 0.0001 or 0.0002 work just fine instead of the recommended 0.0005.

bennybong

Activity: 682
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 11:54:07 AM

Just use fees for christ sake! Don't be a tight-ass, it's part of the whole ethos man...
F-bernanke

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:20:18 PM

Just use fees for christ sake! Don't be a tight-ass, it's part of the whole ethos man...

+1
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 12:43:37 PM

thats the reason why it has to be built in the programm, because of that kind of people.

hopefully your transaction will be in the nowhere forever  Roll Eyes

tom.hashemi

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:46:32 PM

+1
camolist

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 12:57:56 PM

get enough coins in one lump and never pay transaction fees again  Cool

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:18:04 PM

Miners shouldn't accept transactions without at least the standard nominal fee.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
DeepCryptoanalist3

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:14:48 PM

Miners shouldn't accept transactions without at least the standard nominal fee.

Aha )) It is a standard already? Miners are free to require any fee for their block generation work. It is a market. The fee will be somehow related to the power cost of mining.
acegilz

Activity: 211

1ACEGiLZnZoG7KUNkMwAT8tBuJ6jsrwj5Q

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 03:21:41 PM

i sent 0.00001 and the transactions are confirmed quite fast. with armory
t1000

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 05:35:40 PM

A month ago at the height of the boom, when the network was very busy, I did a small experiment on fees to gauge the linearity of its effect on confirmation time.

BTC0 fee: took 2 days to confirm.
BTC0.00000100 (100 satoshi) fee: no difference, took 2 days.
BTC0.0001 fee: confirmed on next block
BTC0.0005 fee: confirmed on next block

My conclusion is that BTC0.0001 fee currently is enough to let your transaction be included in the new block or two. More than BTC0.0001 would almost guarantee it's place in the next block.
Fee amounts less than BTC0.0001 might as well be 0.

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:26:26 AM

A month ago at the height of the boom, when the network was very busy, I did a small experiment on fees to gauge the linearity of its effect on confirmation time.

BTC0 fee: took 2 days to confirm.
BTC0.00000100 (100 satoshi) fee: no difference, took 2 days.
BTC0.0001 fee: confirmed on next block
BTC0.0005 fee: confirmed on next block

My conclusion is that BTC0.0001 fee currently is enough to let your transaction be included in the new block or two. More than BTC0.0001 would almost guarantee it's place in the next block.
Fee amounts less than BTC0.0001 might as well be 0.

Great experiment. Its good that 0 (or effectively 0) fee took two days. I can be longer than that as well sometimes. Goood Smiley
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:39:51 AM

Why do you want to send without fees?

Fees are so tiny and it allows before a better community!!!
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 02:47:10 AM

At christmas time its called being a scrooge!
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 02:49:37 AM

The default behavior on blockchain.info is to not send a fee. This can take up to 3 days to complete. I now always use the custom send feature and add a .0001 BTC tip with almost always immediate confirmation. One time I made a transaction that used over a dozen small inputs with my standard .0001 BTC fee. This took about 3 hours to complete.

My memory may be faulty, but I thought blockchain.info was adding a small fee when I first began to use it. If they revert to adding a fee, you could always use the custom feature to not add a fee. I just hate transactions waiting in limbo for several days. Besides, why be so stingy to not add a few cents for a tip? It will be the expected behavior in 2140. And yes, even though I am almost an old man now, I still expect to be around at that time. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131219130738.htm

Voodah

Activity: 266

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:03:15 AM

The default behavior on blockchain.info is to not send a fee. This can take up to 3 days to complete. I now always use the custom send feature and add a .0001 BTC tip with almost always immediate confirmation. One time I made a transaction that used over a dozen small inputs with my standard .0001 BTC fee. This took about 3 hours to complete.

My memory may be faulty, but I thought blockchain.info was adding a small fee when I first began to use it. If they revert to adding a fee, you could always use the custom feature to not add a fee. I just hate transactions waiting in limbo for several days. Besides, why be so stingy to not add a few cents for a tip? It will be the expected behavior in 2140. And yes, even though I am almost an old man now, I still expect to be around at that time. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131219130738.htm

You can go to your account settings in blockchain.info and change the behaviour for fees.

Frugal - A Miners fee will not be included unless absolutely essential. Transactions will be significantly slower to confirm.
Normal - Follow the fee policy suggested by the mainline bitcoin client. Recommended.
Generous - Fees will be set to ensure transactions are high priority (0.001 BTC Base Fee).

I think Normal is 0.0005.
t1000

Activity: 182

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:05:32 AM

At christmas time its called being a scrooge!

There is a spectrum of people with different levels of generosity. I believe good things happen to those who are generous so I tend to spend, tip, etc etc.
My mum works in a bank and she told me there are people who cash in cheques with cents on them.
For some people, a cent is a cent, for others it is noise. 

Some of these cent is a cent is a cent people end up being quite wealthy but they don't tend to enjoy they wealth (they enjoy counting it though).

Did you find my posts helpful? Did I say say something nice? Your generosity is much appreciate.
BTC: 1G7chBLoYqGfdyfkrox53yDn6sS65PgFYk
LTC: LiYeFdbv5oxin9S3Wmn4v84LuGZ9nsE4XZ
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:17:29 AM

The original client currently refuses to relay transactions it considers "unacceptable". However, there may be miners that are willing to put these in a block. This group is for people who want to send such transactions, and those who want to put them in blocks. Simply have your node maintain a connection to Lightfoot Hosting's node, which relays indiscriminately. This means that you can broadcast your transaction to it, and it will relay it to any miner who also has a connection to it. If your transaction meets the policies of at least one miner connected, it should eventually get into a block.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Free_transaction_relay_policy

Transaction priority is calculated as a value-weighted sum of input age, divided by transaction size in bytes: priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

Jcw188

Activity: 546

Carpe Diem

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:30:35 AM

Is there any way to decrease the fees in qt?  Some seem excessive. I have no problem with fees but as btc price climbs it makes it tough to justify the default fees.

████▄██████████▄
███▄████████████
▄███▀
████
████
████
▀███▄
███▀████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██████████▄
████████████
███████████▀███▄
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
▀███▄███████████
████████████████
████▀██████████▀

▄██▄█████████▄██▄
▀████▄█████▄████▀
▀████▄▄████▀
███████████
▄███▀█████▀███▄
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
▀███████████████▀

▄███████████████▄
█████████████████
████▀███▀██████▀
███████▄█████▀
████▄▄██████████▄
▀▀██████▀███████
▄██████▄███▄████
█████▀██████████
▀██▀███▀████████▀

████▄███████████
████████████████
▄███▀███████████
███████████████
██████████████
████████████████
███████████▄███▀
████████████
▀██████████▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████
|
Listed
on
BINANCE
KUCOIN
Gate.io
|
empoweoqwj

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 08:27:34 AM

Is there any way to decrease the fees in qt?  Some seem excessive. I have no problem with fees but as btc price climbs it makes it tough to justify the default fees.

What is the default fee it qt at the moment?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: