Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:21:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Did you give BTC as a present? If so, how many in total?
No BTC presents - 44 (42.3%)
Yes. < 0.1 BTC in total - 19 (18.3%)
Yes. < 1 BTC in total - 25 (24%)
Yes. < 10 BTC in total - 14 (13.5%)
Yes. < 100 BTC in total - 2 (1.9%)
Total Voters: 104

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who here gave Bitcoins as a present for Christmas?  (Read 2628 times)
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:19:20 PM

Seemed like a good idea to me to give some of my friends and relatives BTC as a present, no? Any interesting stories how they reacted, questions they asked?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
insertcoolusername

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:21:57 PM

If anyone received any, and is willing to donate to a great charity, and also get entry into a free raffle for doing so, check out my signature.  We are taking any type of alt coins, no amount too big or too small, no coin too popular or dead.

Merry Christmas!
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 09:58:27 PM

I gave paper wallets I made to my employers and students. By far got the best reception of any gifts ever given! But we had talked about it before, so it was a piece to the puzzle so to speak.

Question/concern - can they see my wallet history now by using blockexplorer? I played with it and I know BTC very well but couldn't make a whole lot of sense from it except to confuse me LOL! Is the only way to protect my BTC financial history by using a coin mixing service and/or another wallet.

IAS

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:04:08 PM

I gave paper wallets I made to my employers and students. By far got the best reception of any gifts ever given! But we had talked about it before, so it was a piece to the puzzle so to speak.

Question/concern - can they see my wallet history now by using blockexplorer? I played with it and I know BTC very well but couldn't make a whole lot of sense from it except to confuse me LOL! Is the only way to protect my BTC financial history by using a coin mixing service and/or another wallet.

IAS

Basically, yes (as far as I understand it myself). If the transactions into the addresses you gave away all came directly from addresses only you control, they will be able to go all the way back. Any intermediate transfer through addresses containing BTC of others adds [whatever the inverse of taint is]. Obfuscation?

Mind if I ask which course it was you taught?

Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:20:03 PM

I teach English.

Thx for the reply.

So next time it would be a good idea to send the coins from an exchange, at least that makes it simple.
Though not a big deal to me. Not a big holder!

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
TooCasual

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

You can't be Serious?!?

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:24:13 PM

This morning (Christmas Day) I setup a Bitcoin wallet (Andreas Schildback's) on my mother's Galaxy Note 2 cellphone.  Then transferred 0.1 BTC to her new wallet and show her how easy its done… She was amazed at how easy it was to use (using the camera for th QR code etc.)… As she is the chairman of the board at a local bank and attends Rotary, she can't wait to show her peers how high tech she is. Haha. No more old school MC/Visa/Debit…

The ease of use of that particular wallet makes Bitcoin less daunting for the un-techies…

TC
Kreigyr

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 10:36:22 PM

A few online friends who showed interest got 0.2 BTC each. Cost me a solid bit but damn was it well received.

Others just got physical goods. They're happy too  Grin

oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:29:54 AM

Ouch. Topic moved by Blitz. oh well.

I'm surprised so many of you are pretty generous ... several "up to 10 BTC" answers.

Proof that BTC holder = master race Cheesy

kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 12:54:32 AM

Didn't give any actual BTC, but all gifts I gave were purchased with BTC including: an i3 ivy bridge laptop, a Nexus 7 tablet, an iphone 4s, a 25 year old single malt bottle of scotch whiskey, lollyphile candy, gift cards... total around $1,350. All possible with Bitpay. Rather than confusing people who barely know how to operate a PC, I'd rather support merchants who have accepted BTC as payment for their products.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 03:29:30 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=295211.msg4145923#msg4145923
MGK-

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:32:01 AM

signs should be >
dopey

Activity: 1008
Merit: 514

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 03:40:33 AM

I actually gave out a bunch of collosus coins and infinite coins lol.
Being able to give several million of these vs 0.5 -1 btc seemed like a more exciting gift:)

They were well received and I heard the word millionaire mentioned a couple times which made me smile.
beetcoin

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:14:41 AM

if people are giving out paper wallets, i have a feeling a lot of coins will end up being lost.
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 04:19:00 AM

I sent a few friends paper wallets in the post. Hoping they're going to take it using BTC!
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:25:46 AM

Snapcard and Bitcoin, Huge combination. got few giftcard from walmart from snapcard, but the worstpart is long time for delivering products.
orderd in 13 to get yesterday haha

quone17

Activity: 224
Merit: 104

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 04:27:33 AM

Sent .01 BTC to a couple friends who already know about BTC so more of a gag gift.  Hey it could be worth big bucks one day!

Bitcoin Exchange Guide- List of the Top Bitcoin Exchanges, Find Places to Buy, Sell and Trade Bitcoins.
oda.krell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:10:39 AM

signs should be >

Why? "< x" should be interpreted as "up to amount x", and you pick the highest one that applies to you. You know... natural language pragmatics conventions and shit.

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 10:58:49 AM

What do you guys think about this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1tp829/today_my_girlfriends_brother_gave_everyone_paper/

Do you feel like pushy evangelists?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Antifragile

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 11:12:26 AM

What do you guys think about this thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1tp829/today_my_girlfriends_brother_gave_everyone_paper/

Do you feel like pushy evangelists?

You have to consider many factors. As I stated above it was the most well received gifts I have given. But they knew what it was. If they hadn't and I gave a Christmas day presentation, that wouldn't have been nice or well received. And somehow I think you know that. Don't simplify, group,etc.

BTC = Black Swan.
Mikcik

Activity: 742

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 11:12:45 AM

Well i belive bitcoin would be for the majority of recipients NOT a good gift, because they simply dont understand it... When it goes up in price they might be glad, but otherwise not a good idea according to me :-).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: