Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 03:51:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is it legal to accept bitcoins in india  (Read 5253 times)
sahamo123

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 10:32:16 PM

hi, i would like to know is it leagal to accept bitcoins as a mode of payment in india? if so are there any legal statement or document supporting it?

Here is the Answer for your question: http://cis-india.org/internet-governance/bitcoin-legal-regulation-india
stellar69

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 10:24:26 AM

Well i accept bitcoins for many freelancing jobs. Why would it be illegal?
adv.kanishk

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 09:55:37 AM

Accepting bitcoins for freelancer job is not illegal, but the question how you are treating them in your tax return and want kind of documentation trail you are keeping in order to support with department queries is what matters.

Buying and selling of bitcoin is not illegal but only if buying/selling is done through reported money. One might get in problem trading in bitcoin through cash, if one day the department think of initiating action against bitcoin people. Certain aspects are to be taken into consideration.

Not to scare anyone but as a member I wanna caution people dealing in cash for buying/selling of bitcoins. Also, the one who are providing services or selling goods needs to consider certain parameters which falls upon the legal line of law.

Regards
--
Kanishk Agarwal
Advocate
CriTaxCorp
Criminal-Taxation-Corporate
www.critaxcorp.com
+919971666252
sambiohazard

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 11:50:50 AM

Here are some of my thoughts on this topic. I am not an expert by any stretch of imagination Tongue

http://ramblingsmemind.blogspot.in/2014/09/bitcoin-currency-or-commodity-and-how.html
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:11:33 AM

Not to scare anyone but as a member I wanna caution people dealing in cash for buying/selling of bitcoins. Also, the one who are providing services or selling goods needs to consider certain parameters which falls upon the legal line of law.

One benchmark you could always use for tax aspects is - how would it work if I replace bitcoin with gold in the question.
Is it legal to buy gold with cash? - The answer is yes,
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:14:57 AM

On a separate note, have you considered using the signature feature of this forum, Kanishk?
It could be useful to you. In case you change your phone number or product expertise, your old posts would still direct clients to the correct number, if you just update your signature.
arvindr

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:11:17 PM

Accepting bitcoins for freelancer job is not illegal, but the question how you are treating them in your tax return and want kind of documentation trail you are keeping in order to support with department queries is what matters.

I am not sure if many people actually go about filing those incomes in their tax returns.
As its hard to know which bitcoin address is whose, it would also be hard for the government to find out unless you trade them for Fiat.

polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 06:50:44 PM

I am not sure if many people actually go about filing those incomes in their tax returns.
As its hard to know which bitcoin address is whose, it would also be hard for the government to find out unless you trade them for Fiat.

Hypothetical case - Bitcoin goes to the moon and you trade some of them for fiat. You may want documentary proof to minimize your income tax payout.
suman66

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 09:43:11 AM

so its safe to keep it as btc rather than converting to inr right?

Convert what you need for taxes and keep the rest.

how much tax need to pay ?
Troonetpt

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 10:44:41 AM

Sure, you can use bitcoin freely Smiley
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 20, 2015, 12:56:45 PM

Correct. It is more of a moral issue right now. If you want to report all your BTC income as regular income, you might want to pay tax on it.

But since RBI has no such guideline (how to calculate tax on Bitcoin income), you might just want to report only the amount you convert to fiat.

Having that said, it would be nice to have some guidelines from RBI or income tax department on how taxable BTC is and how much tax to pay.
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 12:21:14 AM

Correct. It is more of a moral issue right now. If you want to report all your BTC income as regular income, you might want to pay tax on it.

But since RBI has no such guideline (how to calculate tax on Bitcoin income), you might just want to report only the amount you convert to fiat.

Having that said, it would be nice to have some guidelines from RBI or income tax department on how taxable BTC is and how much tax to pay.

I guess if you want to be totally accurate/honest, you have to calculate your BTC income based on the exchange rate on the day you receive BTCs.
You would then have capital gains/losses when you actually convert to fiat.
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
January 21, 2015, 07:30:06 AM

Since we are supposed to pay tax when price rises and we make a profit, wonder if I can write to the IT department asking for a donation since I lost due to the price crash Huh

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2015, 02:47:42 PM

Since we are supposed to pay tax when price rises and we make a profit, wonder if I can write to the IT department asking for a donation since I lost due to the price crash Huh

If you have a cash loss, you can claim a capital loss and offset it against capital gains.
sambiohazard

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 25, 2015, 07:35:17 PM

How do I account for mining, faucets & tips from others? Also if i make any gains on altcoins how to represent that?

Is there any limit on capital gains tax? like you dont owe income tax for income upto INR 2lakh.
polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 04:51:45 AM

How do I account for mining, faucets & tips from others?
Technically, they would be income from other sources.

Also if i make any gains on altcoins how to represent that?
By gains, do you mean profit on conversion to ruppees? If yes, capital gains tax would be applicable.

Is there any limit on capital gains tax? like you dont owe income tax for income upto INR 2lakh.
There is no limit on capital gains. Of course, you can still set off against capital losses.
baristor

Activity: 637
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 05:19:27 AM

as far as I know it is legal but can be taxed if u are earning income via bitcoin.  the govnt so far hasnt made a firm stand on bitcoin , >.<
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 06:04:41 AM

as far as I know it is legal but can be taxed if u are earning income via bitcoin.  the govnt so far hasnt made a firm stand on bitcoin , >.<

How can I pay my taxes in Bitcoin?
Am sure that the Indian Govt has not yet asked or mentioned anything about this as yet.
In fact, if they do, it would legitimize Bitcoin is a big way in India!

polynesia
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2015, 08:29:07 AM

Am sure that the Indian Govt has not yet asked or mentioned anything about this as yet.

I doubt if this would ever happen.
Even though the government recognizes the USDs and EURs of the world, taxes still have to be paid in INR.
So even if BTC gains legitimacy and is recognized, the government would still want taxes to be paid in INR.
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2015, 08:39:08 AM

I doubt if this would ever happen.
Even though the government recognizes the USDs and EURs of the world, taxes still have to be paid in INR.
So even if BTC gains legitimacy and is recognized, the government would still want taxes to be paid in INR.

I think the ambiguity here is more for people who do not convert their BTC. What needs to be paid in that event?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: