Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:44:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just a tip guys...  (Read 2208 times)
Anonymous

August 22, 2011, 01:47:48 AM
Last edit: August 22, 2011, 02:05:46 AM by Immanuel Go

Taking an existing idea and slapping Bitcoin on it isn't exactly innovation and won't bring Bitcoin to mainstream civilization. We need new ideas that stand in their own right that can be supplemented by Bitcoin in order to give people incentive to use it. Regular merchants will be easy to gather once unique and successful ventures are already using Bitcoin.

So, in a nutshell, selling toilet plungers or any other widget for Bitcoins is not the way to go unless 1) you already have a successful business doing it or 2) your main value is not receiving Bitcoins.

If you want Bitcoin to get big, create something awesome then tack Bitcoin on as an accessory.

If Bitcoin will do well then it will stand in its own right and people will naturally use it as they see it. Otherwise, we need to reconsider the concept.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 02:09:45 AM

If Bitcoin will do well then it will stand in its own right and people will naturally use it as they see it. Otherwise, we need to reconsider the concept.
Reconsider what exactly?
Anonymous

August 22, 2011, 02:10:53 AM

Reconsider what exactly?
Bitcoin as a whole.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 02:12:16 AM

lol
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 02:27:30 AM

If you want Bitcoin to get big, create something awesome then tack Bitcoin on as an accessory.
I'm planning to tack Bitcoin as an accessory to something awesome which already exists, would that be acceptable?  

PS: I will do it in an awesome way of course Grin
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 02:40:24 AM

Bitcoin as a whole.
Sure, let’s just go back to fiat money, the traditional banking system and PayPal. Grin
EconomicOracle

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

I can predict the future! Bitcoin will success!!!!

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 03:00:47 AM

I'm planning to tack Bitcoin as an accessory to something awesome which already exists, would that be acceptable?  

Let's make a lot of awesome bitcoin ideas  Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink Wink Smiley Smiley Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Shocked Cool Cool Cool Cool

GOOOOOOOOOOO BITCOINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edit: Oops. Just fixed a typo. It should be GO (like GO TEAM!) and not GOOB
Edit2: Just checked the dictionary and goob is not a word
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 02:25:33 PM

Let's make a lot of awesome bitcoin ideas  Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink Wink Wink Smiley Smiley Cheesy Cheesy Shocked Shocked Cool Cool Cool Cool

Col. Jessep: You want Bitcoin ideas?
Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to.
Col. Jessep: *You want Bitcoin ideas?*
Kaffee: *I want awesome Bitcoin ideas!*
Col. Jessep: *You can't handle awesome Bitcoin ideas!*
[pauses]
Col. Jessep: Son, we now live in a world that hashes Bitcoin...
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 02:35:59 PM

New site up everybody:

bitcoingoogle.com

This thing is going to be BIG!

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 02:52:25 PM

New site up everybody:

bitcoingoogle.com

This thing is going to be BIG!

Remember when bitcoingoogle.com first came out? Boy, was it BIG! Just released, bitcoingoogleplex.com--it's even BIGGER!

(I'm not making fun of the OP, nor trolling. Just adding to the discussion with humor. Please enjoy everyone!)

Bruno
jgraham

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

<Pretentious and poorly thought out latin phrase>

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 03:58:18 PM

Taking an existing idea and slapping Bitcoin on it isn't exactly innovation and won't bring Bitcoin to mainstream civilization. We need new ideas that stand in their own right that can be supplemented by Bitcoin in order to give people incentive to use it. Regular merchants will be easy to gather once unique and successful ventures are already using Bitcoin.

So, in a nutshell, selling toilet plungers or any other widget for Bitcoins is not the way to go unless 1) you already have a successful business doing it or 2) your main value is not receiving Bitcoins.
So if I catch your drift Atlas.  You are against the "specialized currency exchanges" which are popping up.  Essentially allowing you to buy stuff with bitcoins at a premium by having someone who will accept bitcoins and then go out to the store and buy stuff and ship it to you.

Then again,  perhaps the point here is to find a market niche for bitcoins instead of a product niche.   For example credit cards like MasterCard and Americard allowed people to consolidate existing revolving credit they had with existing institutions and eventually extend credit to institutions which were not large enough to have a credit department.

I was thinking the other day, that perhaps the market niche for bitcoin is perhaps exactly where it is:  Small scale selling.  For example, I'm sure a bunch of you have seen the "auto-adjusting price tag url" code that was posted recently.  Essentially a url that takes a figure in dollars and converts it into an embeddable image which shows the price in BTC. Likewise most of the alternative clients have some kind of bitcoin URL interpretation.  Combine the former with a link that contains the later and maybe the client autofills the message field with some required information (like shipping info,email) which you specify in your client.

This would allow a "1-click buy" from just about any venue in the internet.  Personally, I can see the reason for that.  I have a ton of things that I don't bother selling because of hassle and fees and multiple communications with people.  If I could just make a "mini-storefront" with one simple url and post it to craigslist and forget about it until the money started coming in.   Then I think you open BTC up for all sorts of micro-selling.

As it stands there are still some problems to solve.   For example, if I have five Opteron 285's which I want to sell at a great price.  I don't just want to accept money until I take the URL down (if I'm honest). So it would be good if the URL hosting (image creating) service can do some simple inventory management as well as provide an expiry date.  There are probably some security issues to sort out here too.

Thoughts?

I'm rather good with Linux.  If you're having problems with your mining rig I'll help you out remotely for 0.05.  You can also propose a flat-rate for some particular task.  PM me for details.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 07:30:52 PM

Follow this link to my amazing idea: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38702.msg473937#msg473937
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: