Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 10:06:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Real newbie questions?!  (Read 444 times)
aglio (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 05:32:53 PM

This might sound stupid, but i request help and assistance :

So, I opened an account with a bitcoin "broker", in my case bitstamp.net. I have my funds in the account, however after reading some of the posts here, I am quite scared to buy the bitcoins. I am not much of a comp geek, not even an avereage user... So if I get it right, when I put a buy order I wait for the order to get filled and then...
-Do I have to make my own folder beforehand and save the bitcoins/key on my pc?
-In general what happens after the order gets through?
-Is there a big possibilitie that someone steals my bitcoins (in general). Are this heckers stalkers or how does this work?

Any help, even links to adequate topics/posts would be much appreciated.

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 05:47:38 PM

This might sound stupid, but i request help and assistance :

So, I opened an account with a bitcoin "broker", in my case bitstamp.net. I have my funds in the account, however after reading some of the posts here, I am quite scared to buy the bitcoins. I am not much of a comp geek, not even an avereage user... So if I get it right, when I put a buy order I wait for the order to get filled and then...
-Do I have to make my own folder beforehand and save the bitcoins/key on my pc?
-In general what happens after the order gets through?
-Is there a big possibilitie that someone steals my bitcoins (in general). Are this heckers stalkers or how does this work?

Any help, even links to adequate topics/posts would be much appreciated.

I can give you a quick crash course.

The most safe place that you can store bitcoins as a newbee is in a encrypted Bitcoin-QT wallets  (there are safer alternatives but it requires some more experience and knowledge to use).
http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Do the following:
- Install the bitcoin-QT wallet installed - wait for the block train to download, it can take many hours (depending on your internet connection), so you might as well get started.
- Encrypt your wallet, there is a option in Bitcoin-QT "Settings -> Encrypt wallet", make a long password (+16 characters) - write this down on a piece of paper, if you loose your password you loose whatever is in your wallet.
- Backup your wallet, there is a option "File -> Backup wallet", safe this file on a USB drive or burn it to DVD, ideally both.

Now you are ready to use the wallet (you can use it before the blockchain is downloaded if you are in a rush).
There is a button called "receive", this is your public bitcoin adr, give this to anyone that should send you bitcoin.
You can also transfer bitcoins from bitstamp to your wallet, by transfering bitcoins to your oublic adr.

Its always a good idea to start with small transactions untill you know what your are doing, e.g. 0.01 BTC.

There are more safe way to do this, but to get started it will do.
I do not have any first hand experience with bitstamp, but you can start setting up your bitcoin-QT wallet, it take time for the blockchain to download anyway.
Setting up a secure wallet is the first thing to do.

There are alternatives to bitcoin-QT wallet, but learning to use bitcoin-QT is "standard" in my opinion, and the program is well tested and stable.  

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: