Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:09:51 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a newbie introducing himself  (Read 651 times)
MisterGuacamole (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 08:47:29 PM

Hello people of the BitCoin forums!
I'm new to all of this cryptocurrency (I wish I had known about this 2 years before), and I have a couple of little questions for the people who actually go through my message and read my things. The question is : why is the bitcoin prices so high? And it seems that people use bitcoins like stocks, is it good or bad for the currency?

Thank you, and sorry for the bad grammar : english is not my first language :p

Also, could someone tell me if mining with my GPU card is still profitable? Thanks again!
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 08:51:19 PM

Demand. People want Bitcoin and it gets more expensive. It's the law of trading.

Not profitable to mine Bitcoin with GPU anymore. You could look into some other altcoins.

Oh, and welcome to BTCTalk.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 08:55:30 PM

Thanks! And thanks Smiley
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:00:39 PM

Hello people of the BitCoin forums!
I'm new to all of this cryptocurrency (I wish I had known about this 2 years before), and I have a couple of little questions for the people who actually go through my message and read my things. The question is : why is the bitcoin prices so high? And it seems that people use bitcoins like stocks, is it good or bad for the currency?

Thank you, and sorry for the bad grammar : english is not my first language :p

Also, could someone tell me if mining with my GPU card is still profitable? Thanks again!

I'm new to all of this cryptocurrency (I wish I had known about this 2 years before): You should know that there are people like me that knew about it for 2 years ago, but still didn't invest in it. Guess how that feels?  Sad
Why is the bitcoin prices so high? It's been a lot of hype about it in mainstream media leading to more people buying it as an investment, resulting in driving up the price. Also, more and more places actually accept it as a currency, also helping the price increase.
And it seems that people use bitcoins like stocks, is it good or bad for the currency? - While I'd say this is not as good as people using it as a currency, it's still better than people not using it at all IMO. It helps spread Bitcoin and get new people using it, which could lead to it stabilizing more and more and making it a more common currency.
Also, could someone tell me if mining with my GPU card is still profitable? - It depends on your GPU and electricity costs. You could start by actually posting your GPU. If you decide to mine with your GPU, I suggest not mining Bitcoin with it since there are many "ASIC Miners" that are much more efficient than GPU mining, making GPUs obsolete. However, there are no ASICs for scrypt coins (scrypt is the hashing method used, Bitcoin uses sha256). So it's a lot more efficient to mine Litecoin or Dogecoin, which are common scrypt coins.
If you would like to know more about mining, just let me know.
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

I feel your pain. I knew about Bitcoin when it was worth no more than one cent.
MisterGuacamole (OP)

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:08:54 PM

So it's a lot more efficient to mine Litecoin or Dogecoin, which are common scrypt coins.

Scrypt coins?
Also I would like to know more about mining, thanks Smiley
Sberbank

Activity: 42

View Profile
December 26, 2013, 09:53:21 PM

welcome Wink
Jacce

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 02:47:45 AM

So it's a lot more efficient to mine Litecoin or Dogecoin, which are common scrypt coins.

Scrypt coins?
Also I would like to know more about mining, thanks Smiley

Most cryptocoins are either sha256 coins or scrypt coins. Both requires different mining programs. I don't know too much about the technical differences, though.
Some famous scrypt coins are Litecoin, Worldcoin, Feathercoin, Dogecoin and Novacoin (most stable coins first, I recommend Litecoin). Easiest way to mine scrypt with GPU is by using GUIMiner Scrypt. If you have an ATI graphics card, you can use the CGMiner. If you are using a graphics card from Nvidia, you have to use CUDAMiner and Stratum proxy.
You should also calculate (or just online calculators) to make sure you actually gain more than you pay in electricity costs.
KRS_

Activity: 12

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:02:53 AM

lol yeah back when they were basically worthless I actually had 30+ of them. But since they were worthless I didn't care that they disappeared when I reformatted my computer one time...
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:49:07 AM

lol yeah back when they were basically worthless I actually had 30+ of them. But since they were worthless I didn't care that they disappeared when I reformatted my computer one time...

find the hard drive and try and try recovering.. cant hurt to try.  unless youve been using it over and over
infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:40:12 AM

@Misterguacamole Yes alternative cryptocurrencies mining with your GPU card is still profitable however it depends on  the GPU power.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: