Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:23:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: HONEST QUESTION: would YOU be tempted to manipulate BTC to make HUGE profits?  (Read 233 times)
cryptohoodz (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:16:53 AM

I know a lot of people hate market manipulation because most of us don't have the size to affect BTC price. But let's be honest here: suppose you had the power to control the price, would you be tempted to make huge profits by manipulating the price?

2 strategies:
1)
- you sell, btc goes down, you wait until it drops further then you buy cheap and resell after market corrects
- you buy, btc goes up, everybody FOMOs, you sell again

Let's say we're talking about 5% profit you can make per day.

2) you do the same as #1, but with 100x leveraged trading (BITMEX for example). Your profit is 10-100x higher compared to strategy 1, because you use leverage.

Let's say you can make 50%-500% profit here per day (!).

BTW: there are rumours that some big whales actually cooperate and time such events.

Would you guys be tempted to use your powers or would you not bother and let the crypto market grow by itself?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:29:49 AM

1)
- you sell, btc goes down, you wait until it drops further then you buy cheap and resell after market corrects

You left out the other equally likely possibilities:

- you sell, btc goes up and you lose a bunch of money
- you buy, btc goes down and you lose a bunch of money

Your manipulation strategy only works in fantasies and fairy tales.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
Javanewstar

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:43:32 AM

You should learn to think differently.
If manipulating market prices can make you profitable, then why not? Roll Eyes

cryptohoodz (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 5

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 10:53:29 AM

1)

You left out the other equally likely possibilities:

- you sell, btc goes up and you lose a bunch of money
- you buy, btc goes down and you lose a bunch of money

Your manipulation strategy only works in fantasies and fairy tales.

Why would it only work in fairy tales? And let's not forget that we assume in order for this work, you (with a group) have such a huge amount of the BTC market that it is possible to influence the price. Of course it doesn't work if you only have 0,1% of all BTC...but lets assume 1-10%. That would already be pretty huge. Does this manipulation happen in the crypto market? There are plenty of shitcoins that have experienced huge pump and dumps, so it doesn't look like a fairy tale to me Cheesy
lizardbtc

Activity: 448
Merit: 109

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 11:09:53 AM

I know a lot of people hate market manipulation because most of us don't have the size to affect BTC price. But let's be honest here: suppose you had the power to control the price, would you be tempted to make huge profits by manipulating the price?

2 strategies:
1)

2) you do the same as #1, but with 100x leveraged trading (BITMEX for example). Your profit is 10-100x higher compared to strategy 1, because you use leverage.

BTW: there are rumours that some big whales actually cooperate and time such events.

Would you guys be tempted to use your powers or would you not bother and let the crypto market grow by itself?

If money was my goal I think I would go for it if I knew I can ride between waves by manipulating the market. Although since I am not here for the money I wouldn't be temped. Because doing this is like getting more money because of controling actions of other people, it doesn't give you any good. I am strong believer that it is far better to provide others some kind of value and learn the process than to flip money and gamble it, yes trading is gambling, to accumilate more. Because I see this as I do few clicks and thats it where as I don't see something that is challenging.
12tribes

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 11:20:01 AM

The answer is a simple no as the price manipulation and profits would eventually hurt everyone including those in it manipulating the price. It must be understood that the reason why many markets crash and never recover is as a reason of greed and avarice. whatever you do not control, controls you.

davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 914

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 11:22:59 AM

If i had 50 billion dollars,yes I would manipulate the bitcoin price.But I don`t have them right now(maybe after a few years,when I create the "new big thing" on the internet) Grin
People, who have more,always want more.The more you have,the more you want.Billionaires and millionaires are so greedy.I don`t understand why. Sad

JohnGalt

Activity: 249
Merit: 114

Who is John Galt?

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 12:07:29 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2018, 06:49:40 AM by JohnGalt

Why would it only work in fairy tales? And let's not forget that we assume in order for this work, you (with a group) have such a huge amount of the BTC market that it is possible to influence the price. Of course it doesn't work if you only have 0,1% of all BTC...but lets assume 1-10%. That would already be pretty huge.

In order to work, the price must continue to move in the right direction after the manipulator has finished buying or selling. Ideally, the manipulator would want to set off an avalanche of stop losses, but there is no way to know if that will happen. The manipulator loses money if it doesn't. It is very risky, and the bigger the attempt, the riskier it gets.

Does this manipulation happen in the crypto market? There are plenty of shitcoins that have experienced huge pump and dumps, so it doesn't look like a fairy tale to me Cheesy

Pump and dump is a different story. In this case, the scammer convinces a lot of people to buy a bunch of coins all at the same time. The price goes up and the scammer sells to those people at inflated prices. The price crashes when the buying frenzy stops and everyone wants to unload.

Trade physical bitcoins: Economy > Marketplace > Goods > Collectibles
My signing address: 19mzFU4zFrZHkAkHSUta6LapJ6fTFJyhiH
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
May 16, 2018, 12:45:58 PM

Considering how many people get duped by pump and dump groups, I'd say a huge chunk of people wouldn't blink an eye at the prospect of gaining easy money even at the expense of manipulating the market. If it's not illegal, then it won't matter to most people if it's immoral.

Personally, I'm in Bitcoin for the long run so I wouldn't want to harm it by manipulation. I might go for a few shitcoins with absolutely zero future though lol.

jakerfox

Activity: 294
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 02:52:57 PM

Nope, never at all, i like to play it clean as much as possible bro. lol i am that guy who goes for "you buy, btc goes up, everybody FOMOs, you sell again" simple and easy.
PG13

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 03:11:56 PM

2 strategies:
1)

I think it's normal to people to take advantage on what he can do. Although some will do in less evil as if they are clean and honest. Greed will float once you have the chances to do what you want.

b e t f o r m ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ SMART CONTRACT POWERED SOCIAL BETTING PLATFORM
                               APP DOWNLOAD ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Google Play   App Store   [ WEB VERSION ]                                ❱❱❱ JOIN betform ❰❰❰
    FOLLOW US ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ◾ WHITEPAPERTELEGRAMFACEBOOKTWITTER
M00nlander

Activity: 59

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 03:24:15 PM

2 strategies:
1)

I'm certain manipulation of the market happens in numerous ways, but I don't think it is as simple as all that- it would require a pool of absolute whales in order to do this with much conviction that the price will respond in the way you want.
jasonkirbi

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 18, 2018, 05:08:56 PM

I think manipulator will get the idea from your sharing. So it would be better to avoid these kind of info. And to be honest, if I get the power, I will NEVER EVER do so. Because I might make some profit for a single time, but it could destroy the future of others and mine as well in next. Undecided Shocked
thomaseco

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 04:32:52 AM

As a trader, I would have done that if it really made me profit. That is the reason of the cryptomarket getting manipulated these days. Tgere are always some people who gains profit by this manipulation of prices.
harrypot

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 06:24:51 AM

In business honesty is the best policies because honesty can be bring them a bright future and I never tempered this system but also I tried me do business with my honesty so investing bitcoin is best for them who can do profitable business and this price of the bitcoin surely increase soon so no need to do any unethical things.
Jaslinbor28

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 09:32:21 AM

Peoples are not happy what they have they always wants more and more. If you have more dollars you also wants to manipulate the price.
vickybitcoin

Activity: 149

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 09:37:26 AM

You should learn to think differently.
If manipulating market prices can make you profitable, then why not? Roll Eyes
Im with you in this, yes if this is possible to manipulate the market to profit I will do it. This is always has been in the very competitive world investments..It is survival of the fittiest...
CAPTEZECC

Activity: 210

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 09:45:31 AM

I will not do it because you will end up being scammed or kissing your bitcoin, the only thing I can do is HOD my bitcoin and sell when the price is high or do bounty that will pay me in bitcoin any other way I see it as fraudulent.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 10:03:05 AM

Honestly, I never imagined that I will be in the middle on that kind of scenario because I'm only a small investor first and foremost. But assuming that I have a huge investment in btc up to extent that it can cause changes on the price (though nearly impossible because I'm only a single entity) then I'm willing to manipulate the market because that's a great opportunity to make profits. Who doesn't want to earn more? No one, right?

Between the choices you've said, I'll go for the first one because that's not totally complicated to do since you are only relying on the simple "Buy low, Sell high" principle.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 11:47:09 AM

people are moving with the current trend and making profit if they do so. that is not called manipulating bitcoin, the manipulation is already happening and what we do is that we take advantage of it as best as we can. anything else is out of the power of regular users who have only access to a small amount of money with accounts on social media platforms.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: