Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:09:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase - do you keep any coins on there?  (Read 956 times)
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 10:05:44 PM

Do you keep any bitcoin in your coinbase wallet? I've always sent everything to my local offline wallet, but it is at those times where you need some bitcoin right away and wish you had the access instantly. I was just wondering.

Also, is that Google Authenticator two-factor for just mobile devices? Does it actually give you two-factor on your computer?

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
camolist

Activity: 896

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2013, 10:29:08 PM

Do you keep any bitcoin in your coinbase wallet? I've always sent everything to my local offline wallet, but it is at those times where you need some bitcoin right away and wish you had the access instantly. I was just wondering.

Also, is that Google Authenticator two-factor for just mobile devices? Does it actually give you two-factor on your computer?

then coinbase is not for you as a wallet...use a site like blockchain.info for that

I do like coinbase but never keep btc there as transfers out have been known to take a few hours for me...assuming to get out of cold storage. if i need an online wallet it is no doubt going to be blockchain.info

not 100% sure about the second part maybe someone else knows more but i think there are open source versions of google two factor....but the whole point of it is to have it on a secondary device (phone/tablet) that would not be infected by  the same virus as say your computer...that way a hacker could not get control of an account by just controlling your computer

justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:06:46 AM

I've left coins up on Coinbase with no problem. I can buy coins instantly at the lowest price and zip them away within minutes.

If you've just got out of prison for fraud and have 3 judgments against you. Coinbase might not trust you as much as me. 

Coinbase was the first I was aware of with two factor Identification. They send a text message to your cell phone with the code. You then enter the code on the Coinbase site.

I'm sure Coinbase will piss me off some day but for now they are the only good place.       
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 05:51:26 AM

I've left coins up on Coinbase with no problem. I can buy coins instantly at the lowest price and zip them away within minutes.

If you've just got out of prison for fraud and have 3 judgments against you. Coinbase might not trust you as much as me. 

Coinbase was the first I was aware of with two factor Identification. They send a text message to your cell phone with the code. You then enter the code on the Coinbase site.

I'm sure Coinbase will piss me off some day but for now they are the only good place.       

I was wondering if anyone had issues keeping their coin stored there since they really aren't a wallet. My account is level 2. I'm able to buy 10 bitcoin instant daily if needed and have all the access I need, but just a little weary about holding coin "online". In the meantime I have moved them to my local more secure wallet. I've been accumulating coins, and when they started to reach $8k-$9k, I just didn't feel good having them online. All I need is to wake up one day and get a notice from Coinbase that they've been hacked and lost all coins.

justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:34:42 AM

I was wondering if anyone had issues keeping their coin stored there since they really aren't a wallet. My account is level 2. I'm able to buy 10 bitcoin instant daily if needed and have all the access I need, but just a little weary about holding coin "online". In the meantime I have moved them to my local more secure wallet. I've been accumulating coins, and when they started to reach $8k-$9k, I just didn't feel good having them online. All I need is to wake up one day and get a notice from Coinbase that they've been hacked and lost all coins.

I wouldn't keep my coins on any online wallet. I used to keep half my coins on Coinbase before I started using Armory. Coinbase is better than any of the other online wallets as far as I'm concerned. Most of Coinbase's coins are kept in cold storage. And they have excellent record keeping so you can tell exactly how much you spent on all transactions. 
opentoe (OP)
Legendary

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2013, 07:03:28 AM

I wouldn't keep my coins on any online wallet. I used to keep half my coins on Coinbase before I started using Armory. Coinbase is better than any of the other online wallets as far as I'm concerned. Most of Coinbase's coins are kept in cold storage. And they have excellent record keeping so you can tell exactly how much you spent on all transactions. 

I dumped everything to my local armory wallet. It isn't so much I don't trust armory, but I don't trust the guy trying to hack into them right now looking to steal all my coins.

sedative

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2013, 08:58:29 PM

I buy and sell exclusively with Coinbase.  I use 2-factor authentication with the Authy app.  I use the consumer and the merchant Android app provided by Coinbase and think they are very convenient.  I've never had a bad experience with Coinbase.

The drawback, for some users, will be their extensive requirements to become "trusted".  You have to prove your identity, you have to link a bank checking account, and you have to link a Visa credit card (prepaid and debit doesn't work) if you want "instant" buys.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: