Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:06:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make USB miner by myself?  (Read 1730 times)
Sheldor333 (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:17:39 AM

Ok I was wondering if anyone here has a guide to make it myself, or anything that can help. Don't want anything too expensive, since I don't have a lot of money. Just want to try out mining a little bit. Experiment with it to see how it goes. I am not interested in buying finished ones, since I don't want to wait and they are more expensive.

eternaluniverse

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:19:25 AM

Ok I was wondering if anyone here has a guide to make it myself, or anything that can help. Don't want anything too expensive, since I don't have a lot of money. Just want to try out mining a little bit. Experiment with it to see how it goes. I am not interested in buying finished ones, since I don't want to wait and they are more expensive.

I would assume if you don't know how to do it already yourself, the time ur going to spend if you value you're time at at least 10 dollars an hour, would  make it better to just go out and buy one.
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 01:24:07 AM

I can tell you for certain hand making your own one will be more expensive then buying one.

Message me if you have any problems
Xyver

Activity: 281

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:28:23 AM

Well, step one is find some mining chips with low enough power requirements to be run by a USB port.  YOu're going to get 2.5 watts out of a USB 2.0 port, you might get 4.5 watts out of a 3.0 USB port.

Get a voltage regulator, to make the power to the board constant.

Grab a few resistors and capacitors to smooth out and refine the voltage.

Get another chip to hold the software for the mining chip, as well as the software for the computer to recognize it.

Program that chip so that everything works.

Solder everything together, if you dont have surface mount componants then you're going to have a big board, at least a few inches square.

Get a USB plug, attach it, and plug it into your computer.

Voila!  Homemade USB Miner.
Avo_bit

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:48:27 AM

Well, step one is find some mining chips with low enough power requirements to be run by a USB port.  YOu're going to get 2.5 watts out of a USB 2.0 port, you might get 4.5 watts out of a 3.0 USB port.

Get a voltage regulator, to make the power to the board constant.

Grab a few resistors and capacitors to smooth out and refine the voltage.

Get another chip to hold the software for the mining chip, as well as the software for the computer to recognize it.

Program that chip so that everything works.

Solder everything together, if you dont have surface mount componants then you're going to have a big board, at least a few inches square.

Get a USB plug, attach it, and plug it into your computer.

Voila!  Homemade USB Miner.

Just one question, should i also add an LED to make it look more professional LOL  Tongue
Sheldor333 (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:13:29 AM

Well that sounds easy enough.  Grin Grin Grin

Xyver

Activity: 281

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 11:15:17 AM

At least 7 leds.
TheBlackAdder

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

And thanks for all the fish

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 12:33:08 PM

At least 7 leds.

Blinkenlights! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkenlights
lithod02

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 05:06:02 AM

i found a 3TH/s miner in a box of cracker jacks... headed back to the store to buy more cracker jacks. wish me luck
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 08:23:36 AM

i found a 3TH/s miner in a box of cracker jacks... headed back to the store to buy more cracker jacks. wish me luck

LMBO i need to eat more cracker jacks!

uartasic

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:49:29 PM

you are referring to the current ASIC USB miners??

your question isnt as silly as it sounds although that would depend on your knowledge of electronics.

with globalisation these days it isnt so silly to ask. i would say the 2 stumbling blocks would be programming of the chips and creation of the pcb.

everything else in my experience would be a breeze such as assembly. testing however, if you dont have a golden board to reference would be hit and miss.

global supply chains these days are amazing.

seriously though, if you know how to obtain/ get around the 2 issues as above please PM me i would be very keen to make my own.

hell, you have almost inspired me to buy one online and reverse engineer it. really doesnt seem much to them, initially.

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: