Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:33:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Asics can i buy right NOW? no pre-order  (Read 1119 times)
scrap (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:46:53 AM

Are there any AISCs that i can buy and have shipped NOW that are worth buying?
bitcoinguru42

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:56:21 AM

You would need to buy it off someone instead of a business so check out kijiji, craiglist, or ebay. Be careful buying it, make sure it works 100% before paying for it and make sure you've got the correct PSU and cooling setup for it.
scrap (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:03:49 AM

Can you sugest some models?
decrypter

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 04:07:41 AM

Any ASIC you can buy RIGHT now with no pre-order is probably not worth buying. You will likely never get a return on your investment.

Your best bet would be to buy the second batch of pre-order machines (Neptune I believe) from KnCMiner. They cost ~$10K.

If you aren't looking to make that kind of investment, then buy a graphics card for Scrypt mining.
bitcoinguru42

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:17:47 AM

What he is saying is right, its very likely you wont make a return on your investment, and making a return is heavily dependant in the value of bitcoin raising, something you can benefit from by simply purchasing btc and enjoying the return that way. ASICS are only useful to mine btc so if btc dies ur ASICS are useless, its not like by buying actual hardware ull be able to sell it later if bitcoins die so either way its dependant on the price. If you still are interested if u can tell me ur general area i can check craigslist and kijiji if they are any good deals in ur area.
9host

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:41:05 AM

I bought a couple of ASICMiner block erupters off eBay for about $40 each. They do 335kH each.

Decent enough to get you started in pool mining on any SHA-256 currency, I think BitCoin has just too high a barrier to get into right now but that's just my 2 Lincolns  Wink

Plus if you're new to all this (like me  Cool ) It's best to keep your investment low until you know what you're doing with a command line and compiling code.

I think even to pool mine BTC you would need a minimum of 5gH just to even make it psychologically viable. But I'm a newb at this and it's just my Google-ated guess.  Grin
bitcoinguru42

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:45:00 AM

I bought a couple of ASICMiner block erupters off eBay for about $40 each. They do 335kH each.

Decent enough to get you started in pool mining on any SHA-256 currency, I think BitCoin has just too high a barrier to get into right now but that's just my 2 Lincolns  Wink

Plus if you're new to all this (like me  Cool ) It's best to keep your investment low until you know what you're doing with a command line and compiling code.

I think even to pool mine BTC you would need a minimum of 5gH just to even make it psychologically viable. But I'm a newb at this and it's just my Google-ated guess.  Grin

Its better to not waste potential investment money just buying hardware because you want to. Wait for a good opportunity and jump on it, usb block erupters are not one of those. Also you dont need any minimum amount for pooled mining, that's the whole point of pooled mining...
decrypter

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 04:49:38 AM

I suggest you get into scrypt mining. Even if you drop 600 USD on a graphics card and later find out that mining is not for you, for whatever reason. It will not be the end of the world because hey, at least you have an awesome video card for gaming. Or if you don't care to game, then sell your video card on ebay. You may even make a profit.

ASIC mining is much riskier. If you can't get your ROI via mining, you have worthless hardware on your hand. NO ONE will buy outdated ASIC gear from you. You will not recoup your cost of purchase via resale. And that expensive ASIC CANNOT do anything else, unlike your video card.

These are just a few reasons why scrypt mining is becoming so popular.

Bitcoin mining is a game that you had to join a while ago to make some $$. And then reinvest that $$ to stay in the game. It costs a significant amount upfront to become a profitable Bitcoin miner. You CAN if you are okay with taking a MULTI-THOUSAND dollar risk.

Or if you are like me, you'll just mine scrypt and not worry to much about the video card purchases.
incepted

Activity: 52

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:54:30 AM

You are better off scrypt mining rather than going ASICs as the current price for such hardware is too expensive.  With the level of difficulty increasing, your ROI is going to be substantially longer
bitcoinguru42

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:56:32 AM

I suggest you get into scrypt mining. Even if you drop 600 USD on a graphics card and later find out that mining is not for you, for whatever reason. It will not be the end of the world because hey, at least you have an awesome video card for gaming. Or if you don't care to game, then sell your video card on ebay. You may even make a profit.

ASIC mining is much riskier. If you can't get your ROI via mining, you have worthless hardware on your hand. NO ONE will buy outdated ASIC gear from you. You will not recoup your cost of purchase via resale. And that expensive ASIC CANNOT do anything else, unlike your video card.

These are just a few reasons why scrypt mining is becoming so popular.

Bitcoin mining is a game that you had to join a while ago to make some $$. And then reinvest that $$ to stay in the game. It costs a significant amount upfront to become a profitable Bitcoin miner. You CAN if you are okay with taking a MULTI-THOUSAND dollar risk.

Or if you are like me, you'll just mine scrypt and not worry to much about the video card purchases.

This is a very good point that scrypt mining is a lot less risky. However after scrypt ASICS are created these cards will become useless and the same thing for scrypt mining will happen as what happened to btc. Right now though it definitely makes sense to go for scrypt but you'll have to move soon to make a return on ur vid card and the way the market works is, if everyone is trying to dump their high end graphics cards they will end up being worth pennies.
9host

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:59:44 AM

Its better to not waste potential investment money just buying hardware because you want to. Wait for a good opportunity and jump on it, usb block erupters are not one of those. Also you dont need any minimum amount for pooled mining, that's the whole point of pooled mining...

I agree with that, but i have noticed a big difference in my pool share when my Hashrate increased from CPU mining to using these little ASICs. The novelty of mining 0.000000123546/hr wears off pretty quick. But it's for psychological reasons, I'm personally not in this for the money right now, I think any newb needs to figure out what to do, how to do it and get good at it. Then invest for the money.

I personally think for anyone starting out dropping $100 for testing stuff and figure out what you're doing and have some fun learning to be a good miner is a far better investment than dropping 5 Large on equipment with a 92 degree learning curve. The pressure of having dropped a huge chunk and trying to recoup your investment 10 minutes ago seems alot less fun.
scrap (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:58:47 AM

What if i had 5-10g to invest, and i wantd to get into this game

any syggestions
decrypter

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 06:06:35 AM

Neptune second batch: https://www.kncminer.com/categories/miners

Get them before they are sold out. First batch is gone already.

Disclaimer: Please use your best judgement before spending any money. I am not your personal financial adviser. If you have thousands of dollars lying around, I suggest you hire a professional adviser if you don't know how to invest it.
scrap (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:21:54 AM

Neptune second batch: https://www.kncminer.com/categories/miners

Get them before they are sold out. First batch is gone already.

Disclaimer: Please use your best judgement before spending any money. I am not your personal financial adviser. If you have thousands of dollars lying around, I suggest you hire a professional adviser if you don't know how to invest it.

when could i expect the Neptune to show up?
Diaspora

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:25:57 AM

Neptune is our first 20nm product and will be shipping in Q2 of 2014. This order is for the second batch which will leave about one month after the first batch

It would be some time in Q2 (Apr-Jun 2014).
scrap (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:32:34 AM

Would it be worth it if i recieved it in may? if i purchased the neptune?
decrypter

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 06:42:21 AM

Would it be worth it if i recieved it in may? if i purchased the neptune?

No one can predict the future. No one knows.

It is up to you to assess your risks. Calculate them and then do what you think is best.
If you have 10,000 dollars laying around, perhaps there are less riskier places for you to invest them?
scrap (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:18:03 AM

thanks everyone for their input, i did more googling and relized the crazy ammount of speculation in the future of this..

can anyone sugest some models of asics i can buy from amazon/ebay that could show some profit in the next couple months or so? willing to spend 3-6k$
cheap as chips

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:27:18 AM

where can i buy ASICMiner Block Erupter USB 330MH/s Huh 50 pcs
infinitybo

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:27:51 AM

@OP yes sometime you need a real miner hardware such a Monarch BPU 600 C.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: