Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:10:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] ArmoryGuide.com - Simplifying Armory Setup  (Read 1766 times)
super3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 04:36:00 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 05:14:36 AM by super3
Merited by ABCbits (6)

Launching ArmoryGuide.com today. Figured it could be a kinda late Christmas present for you guys. Just wanted to make setup a little easier for newbies. In the future(and based on your feedback), I'll be adding videos and more advanced features.

Beginners Guide:
0. Welcome to Armory Guide
1. Installing Bitcoin-Qt
2. Installing Bitcoin Armory
3. Setting up a Test Wallet
4. Receiving Bitcoin
5. Restoring Test Wallet
6. Sending Bitcoin

Cold Storage:
1. Installing Offline Armory
2. Setting Up an Offline Wallet
3. Watching-only Wallets
4. Offline Transactions

Screenshot:

Donations help keep our guides updated and bring you more content. Thanks for your support!
1HCH2KCZW4oWJ6VaTwGK5kFZxU1baKjdZY

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2013, 04:36:13 AM

Reserved for roadmap.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
xephyr

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 05:25:37 PM

Why? All the help most need is already available at the Armory website. The developer is also available here on the forum for any questions not already covered.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 29, 2013, 06:15:19 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Why? All the help most need is already available at the Armory website. The developer is also available here on the forum for any questions not already covered.

95% of the support emails are about common setup issues. We can spend more time developing Armory if those users can get Armory working without having to ask for our assistance.

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 03:33:53 AM

95% of the support emails are about common setup issues. We can spend more time developing Armory if those users can get Armory working without having to ask for our assistance.
Could you please post a list of the common setup issues that you receive? Please rank them by frequency, and I will tackle them in that order.

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
December 30, 2013, 04:46:02 AM

Could you please post a list of the common setup issues that you receive? Please rank them by frequency, and I will tackle them in that order.

1) Can't get Armory to sync.

There's no 2.

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 08:22:56 AM

1) Can't get Armory to sync.

There's no 2.
Can you generalize some of the solutions or at least what normally causes that to happen for users?

goatpig
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
January 04, 2014, 05:36:38 PM
Merited by ABCbits (10)

This is what I deal with most of the time on the support channel:

1) bitcoind is installed in a non standard folder. You need to point that to Armory in the File -> Settings menu. On Windows, in the current version, you have to point at the folder containing the daemon (bitcoind.exe), not just the top Bitcoin installation folder. This bug will be fixed in 0.91

2) The blockchain is in a non standard folder. This is an issue regardless of bitcoind (auto managed) or BitcoinQt (no management). You need to point Armory to the raw blockchain files, either through the Files -> Settings menu, or by using the --satoshi-datadir command line argument

3) Some users have modified bitcoin.conf, usually to reduce connectivity. Armory connects as a node so bitcoind needs to allow it in. The common approach is to add listen=1 in bitcoin.conf. I prefer bind=127.0.0.1. Worst case scenario, getting rid of the .conf (rename it to something else for instance) fixes the issue.

Note that in auto manage, Armory tries to query bitcoind status through the JSON-RPC API, and it sets its own log/password in bitcoin.conf for that purpose.

4) "It's been sitting here for hours synchronizing". By far the most annoying state to fix, since I have personally never ran into it, and I have sync'ed the blockchain and Armory's DB from scratch quite a few times. Same goes with the other devs, we just don't run into these, so we don't really get to observe the bug.

There are 5 cases essentially:

4.a) Some users just don't realize how long it takes to download and verify the blockchain. Thats 10-20% of the user base.

4.b) A certain amount of users (can't really give you figure because they get mixed with case 4.d) do not properly set their system clock, resulting in bitcoind never fully syncing with the network.

4.c) Syncing Armory without a wallet loaded. Don't do that. Create a mock wallet if you have to.

4.d) Corrupt DB. Armory's DB somehow got corrupted. Most users experience an Armory freeze and/or crash when it runs into the corrupt data. At this point start Armory in offline mode (use the --offline command line argument) and click on Help -> Rebuild and Rescan Databases. If Armory still crashes, you have to manually delete the databases folder in Armory's datadir. I'd say 10% of our users run into this.

4.e) Messed up blockchain. This is our main concern currently. Even though bitcoind reads the raw files properly, Armory chokes on them somewhere. Our issue is that we never got a blockchain in that state to observe the issue, so we haven't gotten around fixing it. We have yet to find someone willing to upload 14GB worth of blockchain to us either =P. At any rate, the solution to this issue is to delete the blockchain raw files and let bitcoind resync. About 10-15% of our user base runs into this.

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2014, 08:30:08 PM

This is what I deal with most of the time on the support channel:

1) bitcoind is installed in a non standard folder. You need to point that to Armory in the File -> Settings menu. On Windows, in the current version, you have to point at the folder containing the daemon (bitcoind.exe), not just the top Bitcoin installation folder. This bug will be fixed in 0.91

2) The blockchain is in a non standard folder. This is an issue regardless of bitcoind (auto managed) or BitcoinQt (no management). You need to point Armory to the raw blockchain files, either through the Files -> Settings menu, or by using the --satoshi-datadir command line argument

3) Some users have modified bitcoin.conf, usually to reduce connectivity. Armory connects as a node so bitcoind needs to allow it in. The common approach is to add listen=1 in bitcoin.conf. I prefer bind=127.0.0.1. Worst case scenario, getting rid of the .conf (rename it to something else for instance) fixes the issue.

Note that in auto manage, Armory tries to query bitcoind status through the JSON-RPC API, and it sets its own log/password in bitcoin.conf for that purpose.

4) "It's been sitting here for hours synchronizing". By far the most annoying state to fix, since I have personally never ran into it, and I have sync'ed the blockchain and Armory's DB from scratch quite a few times. Same goes with the other devs, we just don't run into these, so we don't really get to observe the bug.

There are 5 cases essentially:

4.a) Some users just don't realize how long it takes to download and verify the blockchain. Thats 10-20% of the user base.

4.b) A certain amount of users (can't really give you figure because they get mixed with case 4.d) do not properly set their system clock, resulting in bitcoind never fully syncing with the network.

4.c) Syncing Armory without a wallet loaded. Don't do that. Create a mock wallet if you have to.

4.d) Corrupt DB. Armory's DB somehow got corrupted. Most users experience an Armory freeze and/or crash when it runs into the corrupt data. At this point start Armory in offline mode (use the --offline command line argument) and click on Help -> Rebuild and Rescan Databases. If Armory still crashes, you have to manually delete the databases folder in Armory's datadir. I'd say 10% of our users run into this.

4.e) Messed up blockchain. This is our main concern currently. Even though bitcoind reads the raw files properly, Armory chokes on them somewhere. Our issue is that we never got a blockchain in that state to observe the issue, so we haven't gotten around fixing it. We have yet to find someone willing to upload 14GB worth of blockchain to us either =P. At any rate, the solution to this issue is to delete the blockchain raw files and let bitcoind resync. About 10-15% of our user base runs into this.
Thanks! I'll get one of my writers on this right away. 

I'm currently finishing up the offline tutorials, then I have to add some videos.
I'll add a common problems section for this after that, so you can just refer users to the guides.

If have any more common problems and solutions just add them to the topic and they will be added to the roadmap

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 05:15:02 AM

Added cold storage section. Will now get started on the common problems section.

super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2014, 03:10:46 AM

We have completely revamped the site. http://armoryguide.com/
We have a bootstraping the blockchain guide up, and some other small guides. Will start working through the rest of the list.

Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 24, 2014, 09:48:00 AM

Your blur is pretty poor on step #5.

Also, I'd recommend turning the default fee down from 0.0005 to 0.0001.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2014, 07:24:26 PM

Broken by design. Just a little easter egg. If you can import the private keys the funds on there are yours.
Good point on the fees.

OlliBrandt80

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:14:58 PM

Thanks for posting guide book how to install it. Although there are a lot of information on site it is easy to read from one place.

Bitcoin rules!
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 03:54:50 PM

Broken by design. Just a little easter egg. If you can import the private keys the funds on there are yours.
Good point on the fees.

Funds are gone Smiley
Never mind the letters that were blurred.  The QR-code reveals all Cheesy

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
super3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2014, 05:33:47 PM

Ha ha. The goal is to hide private keys all over the website. Have a little fun while also learning how to use Armory. Hopefully we will get a few more donations to fund this as people are now starting to visit the site. I may or may not have funded one of the addresses. Lets see how long it takes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: