Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:55:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost there... Soooo close  (Read 1577 times)
Crypt_Current (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:34:16 PM

Alright, I have my 2x 5830 rig up and running LinuxCoin on a 16gb usb device, 4gb persistence file.  First rig ever.  First time using Linux ever.

It feels rather exciting to be writing this message from my new rig...

Anyway, I'm just poking around, trying to simultaneously learn linux and figure out how to start mining.  I opened the Bitcoin client... that's grabbing the blockchain right now...

I opened GUIminer... and it says, "NO OpenCL devices detected".  Question:  What does this mean?  Do I need new / better drivers for my cards?

Any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mike678

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 04:45:02 PM

Alright, I have my 2x 5830 rig up and running LinuxCoin on a 16gb usb device, 4gb persistence file.  First rig ever.  First time using Linux ever.

Anyway, I'm just poking around, trying to simultaneously learn linux and figure out how to start mining.  I opened the Bitcoin client... that's grabbing the blockchain right now...

I opened GUIminer... and it says, "NO OpenCL devices detected".  Question:  What does this mean?  Do I need new / better drivers for my cards?

Yea that means you don't have the correct drivers installed.
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:56:16 AM

Almost ready to take the plunge into linux, I know nothing of it..

What linux distrib did you use ?

or is linux coin a distrib ?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
TheHumanatee

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 01:19:54 AM

linuxcoin is indeed it's own distro. I've learned a lot more from installing ubuntu and messing around with that than I did during my brief foray into linuxcoin. I'm no linux guru, but that's my 2 cents.or satoshis or w/e : )
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:03:12 AM

well, im no slouch with pc's, so I suspect I can get ubuntu up and mining..  just wonder if its worth it ? 

Im having only minor, windows related errors on 1 of my 4 machines..  if it aint broke.... ..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:28:05 AM

well, im no slouch with pc's, so I suspect I can get ubuntu up and mining..  just wonder if its worth it ? 

Im having only minor, windows related errors on 1 of my 4 machines..  if it aint broke.... ..

As far as bitcoin mining is concerned from a performance perspective there is little diffrence between linux and windows in most cases it's primary advantages are simply it's cost(0) and ability to be run from a flash drive. Prior to the current revisions it would allow more than the limit under windows(previously 4 now Cool gpu's however configurations exceding this are extremely uncommon due to the power consumption (think how many watts you'd need for 8 5830's) the other primary advantage was the lack of a requirement for dummy plugs which was never more than a minor inconvienence at best.

In short if you're up and running already with windows don't worry about linux.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 03:50:04 PM

Yea that means you don't have the correct drivers installed.

OK, so I downloaded the newest version of Catalyst... and it's a file with a .run extension...
After a bit of research, I found I could use "sudo bash" to get that .run file to um... run
And it tries to install some drivers... and fails.  It tells me I have to remove the old drivers first.
A couple questions:
1)  Why the heck would there be outdated drivers included with Linuxcoin?  Even if they're outdated, shouldn't GUIminer still NOT say "no openCL devices detected?"
2)  How the heck do I uninstall drivers in Linux?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:08:16 AM

I just want to add to this, I don't have the option of using Windows right now because I can't afford it.

So... BUMP!

:-)

nomnomnom

Activity: 313

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:38:58 AM

You don't need new drivers. They should be included in linuxcoin.
Did you click accept or ok on the window which pops up at the
beginning with some text? Because this is the License for the
AMD APP SDK, you need to accept this, else you cannot mine.

Edit: try to type aticonfig --lsa in a terminal and see if it lists you card(s),
if it lists them the ati driver sees your cards, which is good Smiley
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 06:28:07 AM

You don't need new drivers. They should be included in linuxcoin.
Did you click accept or ok on the window which pops up at the
beginning with some text? Because this is the License for the
AMD APP SDK, you need to accept this, else you cannot mine.

Edit: try to type aticonfig --lsa in a terminal and see if it lists you card(s),
if it lists them the ati driver sees your cards, which is good Smiley

I didn't see any such pop up window...

Yes, I did the aticonfig and it shows both my cards, but AMDOverdriveCtrl only shows one as being "active".  (might be the other way around, i'll have to check again).

So:  If I can find this pop up box and "agree", then GUIMiner will not say "No OpenCL devices?"

Also:  How would I go about activating my (apparently) inactive 5830?

nomnomnom

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 09:03:25 AM

Well, I only have an older version of linuxcoin here, but I hope it still works the same.
You can bring the Licence window up again, by pressing ALT+F2 and then running ati_license

It should popup a window "AMD APP SDK license agreement", close that window and a
new one should popup asking "Do you accept AMDs license?", there you have to click YES.

If this somehow does not work, it can still be done from a terminal.
cd /; sudo tar xvf /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/icd-registration.tgz

Don't know whats up with your 5830, but this should help to get OpenCL going,
which Guiminer was complaining about.
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 03:09:35 PM

Well, I only have an older version of linuxcoin here, but I hope it still works the same.
You can bring the Licence window up again, by pressing ALT+F2 and then running ati_license

It should popup a window "AMD APP SDK license agreement", close that window and a
new one should popup asking "Do you accept AMDs license?", there you have to click YES.

If this somehow does not work, it can still be done from a terminal.
cd /; sudo tar xvf /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/icd-registration.tgz

Don't know whats up with your 5830, but this should help to get OpenCL going,
which Guiminer was complaining about.

Oooooooooooookay, so i ran ati_license, and agreed to it.  And so NOW, when I run GUIminer...

Nothing happens!

Awesome.

Maybe it's just my lack of understanding of Linux, but I dunno I don't really think so.  I understand commands and running them from a command line and the filesystem and whatnot.

BTW... what does the "tar" command do?

And... What the heck is going on with GUIminer now?  If it's running in the background, how the heck do I get to it??  Because Linux's "system tray" or whatever the heck it's called doesn't function ANYTHING like windows, apparently...

Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 03:48:10 AM

Ok, hey hi again yep it's me again  Grin

So.... I started fresh with a new install of Linuxcoin on my usb drive.  Accepted the license agreement, bitcoin client up, ran guiminer and PRESTO i am mining at deepbit.net with ~260MH/s ... only ONE card...

OK, so then I go to a terminal to run aticonfig -lsa annnnddddd... "No supported adapters detected" ... !!!!!!!!!!

Is this just because GUIminer is using the adapters right now??

Anyway, before I got GUIminer to work, i had issued the "aticonfig -lsa" command, and it had showed one 5830 as "active", and the other as "inactive"... ANY ideas on a solution to this would be appreciated.  I really hate having two perfectly good PCIe slots filled and only being able to use one...

ALSO, a general linux question (maybe a Linuxcoin particular question?):
When I go to do some things, like look in certain directories, the system asks for the root password... I never created a root password.  I thought I was logged in as root from the start, but I guess not.  Is there some kind of universal root password, or can I make one up?  How exactly does this root business work??

nomnomnom

View Profile
August 26, 2011, 10:40:31 AM

Ok, hey hi again yep it's me again  Grin
Hello Smiley

So.... I started fresh with a new install of Linuxcoin on my usb drive.  Accepted the license agreement, bitcoin client up, ran guiminer and PRESTO i am mining at deepbit.net with ~260MH/s ... only ONE card...

OK, so then I go to a terminal to run aticonfig -lsa annnnddddd... "No supported adapters detected" ... !!!!!!!!!!

Is this just because GUIminer is using the adapters right now??

Anyway, before I got GUIminer to work, i had issued the "aticonfig -lsa" command, and it had showed one 5830 as "active", and the other as "inactive"... ANY ideas on a solution to this would be appreciated.  I really hate having two perfectly good PCIe slots filled and only being able to use one...

Ok, atleast one card is mining now. My miner displays all 2 cards while I am mining...
(The DISPLAY=:0 is needed if you ever want to run aticonfig over a ssh connection)
Code:
$ DISPLAY=:0 aticonfig --lsa
* 0. 03:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 
  1. 02:00.0 ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 

* - Default adapter

I never used guiminer, I use phoenix miner, so I can't help much with that program...
But you could try to run clinfo (a tool from the AMD SDK) to see if OpenCL detects all cards.
This looks like that on my miner which has 2x 5830 (should show CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU for every card)
Code:
$ /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/bin/x86_64/clinfo | grep "Device Type"
  Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU
  Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

If this shows all your cards you should be fine.

ALSO, a general linux question (maybe a Linuxcoin particular question?):
When I go to do some things, like look in certain directories, the system asks for the root password... I never created a root password.  I thought I was logged in as root from the start, but I guess not.  Is there some kind of universal root password, or can I make one up?  How exactly does this root business work??
I think linuxcoin has no root password per default. If you want to run something as root you just put sudo in front of the command, or sudo -s
gives you a root login. Not sure how the filemanager handles this. Maybe you could look at the linuxcoin thread for more info on that.

Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2011, 11:05:38 AM

Thanks nomnomnom, you have been very helpful.

I realize there's a lot of basic information that I could learn alot from in this forum and others, concerning Linuxcoin and Linux in general, but time is a major factor.  I've just recently obtained employment as a warehouse grunt after having been out of work since the beginning of the year, and they are offering all sorts of overtime and I have to take all of it I can.

I try to hide in the back of the warehouse sometimes and read the forum using Opera on my android phone :-D

Barring that, I spend every spare waking moment I come across (much to my girlfriend's shagrin and my school work's detriment) trying to get this mining thing off the ground.  I literally passed out in the living room floor the other night at 3am with an x terminal screen staring me in the face.  I sudo aticonfigged myself to sleep.

Linuxcoin seems to be rather buggy though.  (I think I saw that mentioned elsewhere)... Case in point:

I was playing around AMDOverdriveCtrl just tweaking my one card to get the most MH out of it, also I was waiting for Bitcoin to download the block chain so I could maybe see if my transaction (sent myself a bitnickel from deepbit) had gone through.  Welp, Bitcoin pulled a houdini on me... it must have gone to the background, but there was no icon for it by the clock.  (because when I tried to run it again, it said some error then said it must already be running).  NOW, if I JUST knew more about linux, i might have been able to get it back in the foreground.

So after that, i played around with aticonfig a bunch more hoping to come across a command that would "activate" (or something) my other 5830.  Well, the next morning (that's the night i passed out), the machine was locked up so i rebooted.  And upon reboot...

... the entire screen was stretched as to fit four displays, and I couldn't get to the task bar or see any windows when i ran anything via ALT+F2.  So i dunno wtf to do with it now.  I'm thinking just maybe I should grab my wallet from it and reinstall linuxcoin and start over again.  Sound like a plan?

Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:15:01 AM

But you could try to run clinfo (a tool from the AMD SDK) to see if OpenCL detects all cards.
This looks like that on my miner which has 2x 5830 (should show CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU for every card)
Code:

$ /opt/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx64/bin/x86_64/clinfo | grep "Device Type"
  Device Type:                                   CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU

If this shows all your cards you should be fine.

Did that command (with a "sudo" in front, lol not sure if that was necessary but it can't hurt right?) and YES -- both my GPUs show up.

Now, if I could just get GUIminer to use both of them...

I'm going to give phoenix a whirl as well, but probably later.  That's command-line, yes?  My hands are swollen and hurt really bad from "throwing wood" for 50 hours this week (it's an industry term) :-D

TYPING ... IS USELESS!

... need sleep...

Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 28, 2011, 04:17:25 AM

Oh and for anyone who may be curious, between my post directly before this one and my post directly before that, I reinstalled Linuxcoin on my usb drive and started over ... again!  Lost ~0.05 BTC in the process :-( .  Well now my deepbit account has my btc address for the other wallet on that other thing over there, so hopefully I won't lose any more precious btc.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: