Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:20:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guys, I can't remember the password to my Armory wallet...  (Read 1186 times)
Jerfer (OP)

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:59:27 AM

But after hours of trying to remember the passphrase I used, it was a big FAT FAIL. Devastated...

That's when I remembered creating a backup paper wallet out of curiosity two months ago. It was thrown in the shredder pile, waiting to be shredded. I pulled the paper wallet out from the bottom of the pile and ran to my computer to enter in the root key.

I created the paper wallet way before I ever received any BTC, so I had lots of new receiver addresses that received BTC long after the paper wallet was made. What surprised me is that both old and new generated public/private addresses are recoverable regardless of when the backup is made since the addresses are created based on a seed for that particular wallet. And the paper backup recovers just the wallet, not the public/private keys directly. Very cool.

Armory scanned the transaction database and recovered all my addresses and BTC. OMFG.

Now I know the importance of keeping paper wallets and a lot more about how they work. I got lucky, though. I know it was pretty dumb of me to throw away my paper wallet like it was nothing, but I honestly didn't know how it worked exactly or that I'd need it later. Anyone else experience something similar?

████→→       ● DeepOnion                                                                       ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯ 
████→→       ● Tor integrated, 100% anonymous!                                ✯     Get Your FREE Coins NOW!        ✯
████→→       ● Free Airdrop! (No ICO, No Crowdfund)                        ✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:20:42 AM

not me, i memorized my seed/brain wallet, in addition to having a fairly long PW .. it's crazy to put a superlong password that you probably won't remember days or weeks later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: