Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:06:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Bitcoin Wave Machine ~ FBW  (Read 1692 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 06:40:13 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2011, 08:38:07 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

Introducing the awesome idea (phrase borrowed from another thread) of FBW (First Bitcoin Wave) to be kicked around (hopefully not like the sad proverbial can) on this thread. Note: I used the word machine, not in its normal literal sense, but as a body of people--that same body of people who constitute the FBW, acting as a machine to steer the Bitcoin economy forward.

Allow me to illustrate how this concept would benefit the Bitcoin economy by serving up a delicious example:

http://masaazul.com

Masa Azul (http://www.masaazul.com - uncovered via a G search to use as my example) is a newly opened restaurant in Chicago and, as with every other new restaurant owner, desires a loyal customer base.

Enter FBW.

Each FBW would comprised of no less than 20 active members, with at least one chef chieftain (yes, leader would be a better word choice, but reckoned this taste better). The chieftain's main dish duties would include...:

• Recruiting & Organize Members--Users of Bitcoin
  • Seek New Restaurants, like Masa Azul, in Their Respective City
  • Reach Out to the Owner of Masa Azul
  • Walk Him Through the Simple Bitcoin Acceptance Process
  • Guarantee Him at Least $200 USD in Sales During the First Usage of Bitcoin at Masa Azul
  • Making Sure the FBW Members Visit Masa Azul as Planned

...among other range of services.

Consider the FBW a weekly micro-Expo (more than just a meet-up), where members meet-up converge on a regular basis to experience a new eating establishment like Masa Azul, discuss Bitcoin or baseball and, moreover, welcome each new eatery by patronizing and introducing a constant revenue stream to them.

Of course, like any well oiled machine to work properly, all the ingredients to make it must be kosher, hence offering up this thread with the hope of constructive discussion to see if such a machine is worth cooking up. If it is, then I further envision a site that links to all the national and international restaurants (at no out of pocket expense to their respective owners) partaking in this endeavor.

Now, as with any Bitcoin post worth its salt, a little hashed math is in order.

What if:

200 Major cities X 20 Hungry guests to each new restaurant X $9.62 USD (includes tax) per average check X 52 Weeks = $2,100,000 USD (rounded) added to the economy yearly. Does that number look familiar?

If one multiplies that times 100, you'll easily approach $.25B USD in generated revenue per year.

Therefore, with FBW, everybody, and I mean everybody, wins eats.

I hope you found my amazing idea appetizing. If so, are you ready to comment or still looking at the menu?

OK GO! http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/adam_sadowsky_engineers_a_viral_music_video.html

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending                    Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending                    Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending                    Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

I'm willing to bet this post made you hungry.

http://masaazul.com

This post/thread inspired by: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=38603.0

Scary --->  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22Masa+Azul%22+bitcoin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:00:33 AM

I knew I should of turn this post into a free 15 page eBook and announced yesterday that I was planning on posting something big (this post) today.

Although the post is written somewhat tongue-in-cheek, my idea for FBW is legit. BTW, I just gave it that acronym for lack of a better term. Feel free to change the name. With that said, is the idea sound?
dustintrammell
VIP

Activity: 156
Merit: 103

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:21:28 AM

Sounds like a flash mob (:

Dustin D. Trammell
Twitter: @druidian
PGP: E0DC F55C 9386 1691 A67F FB18 F6D9 5E52 FDA6 6E16
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 05:50:22 AM

Sounds like a flash mob (:

No it's not, dustintrammell. What I propose would be prearranged with the restaurant owner prior to the arrival of the flash mob FBW (First Bitcoin Wave--spelled out here for the reader's convenience so they wouldn't have to weed through all the previous post on this thread to try to figure out what FBW means). The chieftain (see first post) would first set up the Bitcoin acceptance process at some point after the restaurant's soft opening (obviously, don't want to do this on their opening day). Once set up, the owner is advised of when the FBW will arrive to experience the cuisine and pay with Bitcoin. So, as you clearly see--no flash mob.

I'm thinking about creating buttons that will read: Member of FBW (circumnavigated around the Bitcoin symbol)
AlexWaters

Activity: 77
Merit: 11

Twitter:@watersNYC

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:07:49 AM

Great idea - if I owned a restaurant; I would be interested.

What is the next step?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 06:17:37 AM

Great idea - if I owned a restaurant; I would be interested.

What is the next step?

Excellent question! Which step are you at, Matt1a3, so I can better outline the next step?
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 06:38:20 AM

Yes - it's the way to go.

I suggested this last month..but got no response.. clearly my mistake was not using *images* in every post!

I agree that the focus should be on getting it accepted by merchants.
Perhaps a more positive way to do this would be to encourage local bitcoin usergroups/meetups. At the meetups people could pick some local merchant(s) that a fair number would like to purchase from, and see if they can encourage and assist them in setting up bitcoin and prominently displaying the logo.
It might be the local pizza shop.. or pc shop for example.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 06:47:18 AM

Yes - it's the way to go.

I suggested this last month..but got no response.. clearly my mistake was not using *images* in every post!

I agree that the focus should be on getting it accepted by merchants.
Perhaps a more positive way to do this would be to encourage local bitcoin usergroups/meetups. At the meetups people could pick some local merchant(s) that a fair number would like to purchase from, and see if they can encourage and assist them in setting up bitcoin and prominently displaying the logo.
It might be the local pizza shop.. or pc shop for example.

FYI, julz. I want to let you know that I didn't take your idea and try to better it. I may have read your posts at the time you first published it, but definitely not most recently. Images do seem to help, as you so pointed out. Please feel free to jump back into this conversation and add your input. It would be welcome. Thank you kindly for offering up the quote from your post a month ago. Also, if you don't mind, provide me a link to that post.

Bruno
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:08:28 AM

I'm headed to RIT in a few weeks - I'll see if I can get anyone else interested in bitcoin, and if so maybe work on getting some local restaurants to take it. Sounds like a good idea Smiley

-Garrett
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 07:16:54 AM

I'm headed to RIT in a few weeks - I'll see if I can get anyone else interested in bitcoin, and if so maybe work on getting some local restaurants to take it. Sounds like a good idea Smiley

-Garrett

Remember, Garrett, you have Meze Grill to use as your example.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 07:17:50 AM

Guess I'll have to do a bit more research. Ideally I'd be able to get Gracie's (on campus all you can eat place) to take them, but that's a long shot. But I'll be there for 5 years, so why not give it a shot.
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 07:26:19 AM

Guess I'll have to do a bit more research. Ideally I'd be able to get Gracie's (on campus all you can eat place) to take them, but that's a long shot. But I'll be there for 5 years, so why not give it a shot.

That'll be a great start: http://finweb.rit.edu/diningservices/gracies/ They're already getting a plug, and don't even know it.

Bruno
jostmey

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 01:43:46 PM

You mentioned Chicago. Is that where you are located?

Search Bitcoin
Discover the bitcoin economy
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 04:00:02 PM

You mentioned Chicago. Is that where you are located?

I live in Sandwich, Illinois. If you come to town, just ask anyone where Bruno lives.
Exonumia

Activity: 189
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 10:35:26 AM

I knew I should of turn this post into a free 15 page eBook and announced yesterday that I was planning on posting something big (this post) today.

You better secure you positions in pork bellies as well!

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 11:16:47 AM

You better secure you positions in pork bellies as well!

Believe you, me, I tried! But: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/31/us/31porkbelly.html

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: