Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:13:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Monday after Conference rally fizzles  (Read 2612 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 06:41:50 PM

A week of people holding their BTC and their breath to see the reaction to the conference shows the market reaction.

I see the price going back to pre-conference hold prices and rising and falling based on day to day news.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:07:35 PM

There were so many positive aspects about the conference, I'm surprised we didn't see a bigger rally. But yes, the price has done a short-term peak around 11.5, methinks. We'll see.

I've really got to stop watching the charts. I'm pretty sure I can ignore bitcoin completely for a year or so, then fire up my client, take a look at the price, and be quite happy.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:30:12 PM

I am not quite sure, based on what I have seen from the conference posts, what exactly would a news
org report about. Just because some people got together to discuss bitcoin does not news make. This
forum does that every single day.
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 07:47:05 PM

Yeh...I thought this was BitCon... like a Bitcoin Convention.

This was a Bitcoin conference, FTL

Be humble!
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 07:48:21 PM

From now on when Wegner says good things to come, I'm selling!
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 08:03:42 PM

There were so many positive aspects about the conference, I'm surprised we didn't see a bigger rally. But yes, the price has done a short-term peak around 11.5, methinks. We'll see.

I've really got to stop watching the charts. I'm pretty sure I can ignore bitcoin completely for a year or so, then fire up my client, take a look at the price, and be quite happy.

Problem is there really hasn't been to much reporting on the positive aspects of the conference. 
cloon

Activity: 387
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 08:40:45 PM

you have to wait until the press is writing! it needs time
dont panic

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
322i0n

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 09:42:33 PM

Which press? writing about what exactly?

Supporting The Global Insurrection Against Banker Occupation
BTC: 1C1w6t1dMkEXeCntURxDiBiWsTbdJbvTr9
NMC: N6uNpVPAdpTur4Hwr8Sqgd6kxcKPto4S2T
Are-you-a-wizard?

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:09:16 PM

Exactly. The only press is Bruce and AJeffries from Betabeat!
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 10:10:39 PM

The Bitcoin conference seems to have fizzled. Pictures show about 40 or 50 people, and many empty vendor tables. There's been no (as in zero hits in Google News) press coverage of the "conference".  The major tech blogs gave it a miss. Nobody announced anything significant.

Why would there be a rally?
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:31:23 AM

The Bitcoin conference seems to have fizzled. Pictures show about 40 or 50 people, and many empty vendor tables. There's been no (as in zero hits in Google News) press coverage of the "conference".  The major tech blogs gave it a miss. Nobody announced anything significant.

Why would there be a rally?

What if they gave a bitcoin conference, and nobody came? 
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:59:35 AM

What if bitcoin became valuable and we could all afford to go to conferences?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 01:02:04 AM

Ah and the Trough Of Disillusionment sets in.... wonderful  Tongue
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:38:03 AM

Thousands of people (including myself) couldn't afford to go. We need to all forget about speculation and start working HARD. All of us.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 03:59:36 AM

The story is a fine fit for a tech section like betabeat - not necessarily so for a major story though.

It's nice to hear there was a table for the bitcoin ATM.. but what might have been newsworthy would be a working bitcoin ATM placed at the entry point - and then only payment in BTC accepted for entry.

.. somehow I don't think this will be happening in Pattaya next year either.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
KMBTC11

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 03:21:56 PM

Link:  Bitcoin Enthusiasts Gather in NYC to Meet IRL and Show Off Bitcoin Start-Ups
Hotdog453

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 11:25:07 AM

The only people who even knew about the damn conference already posted on the forum.

It was a noble "first effort", but no one outside of the tech community was even vaguely aware it was going on. It didn't even get coverage on Anandtech, or HardOCP, or any of the other "computer" sites, which would have at least made some logical sense.

The way they played it up, I was expecting some week long CNN coverage with balloons and dancing girls, ala The Stark Expo.

Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 01:55:05 PM

Thousands of people (including myself) couldn't afford to go. We need to all forget about speculation and start working HARD. All of us.

Working and not speculating?  That all sounds a little bit too much like hard work.
nighteyes

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 06:46:57 PM

The only people who even knew about the damn conference already posted on the forum.

It was a noble "first effort", but no one outside of the tech community was even vaguely aware it was going on. It didn't even get coverage on Anandtech, or HardOCP, or any of the other "computer" sites, which would have at least made some logical sense.

The way they played it up, I was expecting some week long CNN coverage with balloons and dancing girls, ala The Stark Expo.

Why would the tech community cover this dog? Its the reputation, duh. If they asked a serious question, they will just be derided and be branded 'haterz'. The only drink being served is koolaid, know what I mean? And the only drink thats going to be served is koolaid until the current group gets sick from it.

Flash forward and there will still be people hawking the same bitcoin crapola....and no even offer excuses as to why bitcoin needs a 25 step procedure to "potentially" allow it to be transferable. Even I, a non-programmer, see the value in the bitcoin, but once you leave the bitcoin realm and start getting into anything social, its the biggest headache ever. Its a sales pitch of 'see this bitcoin...now watch me start unraveling its benefits and reinventing the wheel'...its like why don't they just buy the d**n product with US dollars already....but no its for confidentiality...thats why they dont take the bitcoin client seriously, then give the US dollars to an unknown entity, to trade in an unregulated market(the biggest of which is unreliable at best), to bitcoins that the process gets repeated when they send to a seller.
joulesbeef

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

moOo

View Profile
August 25, 2011, 05:58:25 AM

I never really saw the conference as having a chance at having much of a positive effect. In fact I could see it having a negative effect if it had gotten more coverage. All the recent "tie-in" news has been negative. They dont have a lot of filler to fill with that is good.
what are they going to report? Bitcoiner are having a conference and yeah if you dont know what bitcoin is it is that coin you can buy drugs online with and yeah their exchange was hacked and their are trojans stealing wallets, one guy lost 250k and just recently the largest online wallet was hacked, now if you want to buy these things, head over the mtgox, which was recently hacked as well. The best you can really say, is we have taken some major major hits and survived. ANd that is good news but not enough to get a rise out of anyone

It's not like we have proponents in the media, or any real big announcements like amazon.com taking coins. OR some nation whose currency is plummeting whose people have found respite in the coin.

If you want rally, you need to ask yourself, what have you done for bitcoin lately? Tweet about money you have made, things you have bought, get out of the forums and write blogs about bitcoin. WE need to start a campaign of writing major retailers and asking them to take the coin. The price is pretty stable right now. But it will still be an uphill battle getting them to take something they have to exchange. We need to give them a reason to want to take it, i dont know if that is bounties or sheer number of customers. newegg seems like a good target for us, but why go to the coin when we will pay dollars? would you pay 10% more to use the coin for a while?

we need more software development, we need a better gui,one that when you first install it, it asks you to encrypt and back up your wallet. Yeha you can label things but it is still pretty cold geeky and ugly. It should look more your your phone contact list. let you put little pictures, a little dial for confirmations, have the names be seen and the addresses only be seen through a right click or a menu.

bitcoin will never go too far unless it expands beyond the pseudo backyard underground market we got going on.  We cant live on the forum marketplace, gambling and SR. It would be nice if some countries currency collapsed and people flocked to bitcoin but they are most likely to go with something traditionally safe like gold and silver.

so what have you done for bitcoin lately?

mooo for rent
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: