Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:00:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you really think governments will allow a 500 billion dollar crypto-economy?  (Read 8759 times)
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:36:36 AM

Bitcoin needs fiat to survive and grow.  All government has to do is block funds at the source.  The banks.  The same way they did for online poker.  It's not difficult at all.  If they really wanted to get nasty, they could make it illegal for businesses to accept it.  Mass adoption = dead.

That said, I think they will allow a $500 billion Bitcoin economy because that's a lot of tax revenue to be had.  They'll regulate exchanges and any sources of money in and out of the network to get their cut and I think that's a good thing as long as regulations are fair and aren't hindering startups.
Yeah, prohibition without justification has always worked.

Certainly not but prohibition was done against the majorities wishes.  Bitcoin does not have the majority of the population on its side as of yet.  Merely a sliver at best.  Hell, at the moment, most are terrified of Bitcoin.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:46:12 AM

Bitcoin needs fiat to survive and grow.  All government has to do is block funds at the source.  The banks.  The same way they did for online poker.  It's not difficult at all.  If they really wanted to get nasty, they could make it illegal for businesses to accept it.  Mass adoption = dead.

That said, I think they will allow a $500 billion Bitcoin economy because that's a lot of tax revenue to be had.  They'll regulate exchanges and any sources of money in and out of the network to get their cut and I think that's a good thing as long as regulations are fair and aren't hindering startups.
Yeah, prohibition without justification has always worked.

Certainly not but prohibition was done against the majorities wishes.  Bitcoin does not have the majority of the population on its side as of yet.  Merely a sliver at best.  Hell, at the moment, most are terrified of Bitcoin.
Haters gonna hate. It's hilarious.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
~Coinseeker~

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:49:56 AM

Grin  Why you think I'm hating?...I'm not hating, I'm just stating reality from my view.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 13, 2014, 05:52:08 AM

Grin  Why you think I'm hating?...I'm not hating, I'm just stating reality from my view.
Not you, I don't engage in petty insults unless I am both inebriated and well provoked. That comment was aimed at the reason people fear Bitcoin.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: