Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 05:09:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Locking Heavily Premined Coin Threads?  (Read 1866 times)
Chris180Z (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:40:37 PM

Do you think staff should lock all heavily premined coin threads in order to protect new members from being scammed?

It just seems a little unfair that you get scammers on here with heavily premined coins, and new members come along and put hard cash into buying these new coins thinking they are getting a bargain. Next thing you know the coin is dead and all their money is gone. That sort of thing will put you off ever using cryptocurrencies again (if you are new to the whole thing, which 99% of people are).
hastalavista

Activity: 197

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:42:42 PM

+1
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:46:15 PM

New members should take the time to read and understand what they are getting into before throwing a ton of money at a shitcoin.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
miffman
Legendary

Activity: 1904

PGP ID: 78B7B84D

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:47:06 PM

premined coins are a good learning curve for noobs.

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
BitBlender 

█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
█ 
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:47:26 PM

I think the community here usually does a pretty good job at policing things without moderator intervention.

Nullu

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:50:49 PM

Do you think staff should lock all heavily premined coin threads in order to protect new members from being scammed?

It just seems a little unfair that you get scammers on here with heavily premined coins, and new members come along and put hard cash into buying these new coins thinking they are getting a bargain. Next thing you know the coin is dead and all their money is gone. That sort of thing will put you off ever using cryptocurrencies again (if you are new to the whole thing, which 99% of people are).

As much as I agree with your sentiment - who decides what is a scamcoin or not? I think it's a slippery slope. People, I'm afraid, should be left to make up their own mind. You start locking coin threads and all will happen is the forum's reputation will get damaged and altcoins will go elsewhere.

You've got to have losers is if you expect to have winners, so as much as I hate the premined garbage, it has its place.

BTC - 14kYyhhWZwSJFHAjNTtyhRVSu157nE92gF
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 03:52:38 PM

90% of altcoins are premined and or instamined

most of the people pushing no premines agree with instamines

instamines are totally unfair on the users as there as nobody knows how many coins were instamined and who holds them  

with a premine everyone knows howmany coins who has them and what they are boing used for ( should be some form of ledger that states whare they have gone )

I am not a big fan of premined coins but I do understand why a small premine is necessary

but my experience is that it will start with good intentions and after a while the ledger will stop and the coins get spent or sold

Romyen

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:28:30 PM

As much as I agree with your sentiment - who decides what is a scamcoin or not? I think it's a slippery slope. People, I'm afraid, should be left to make up their own mind. You start locking coin threads and all will happen is the forum's reputation will get damaged and altcoins will go elsewhere.

You've got to have losers is if you expect to have winners, so as much as I hate the premined garbage, it has its place.

Agree 100%. I would add only that there's no way the moderator would agree to do this, after I read some of his posts. (I say "he" because I don't believe he's actually a 12 year old girl as his profile claims.)

Check out the following post by him from Dec. 25:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=383794.msg4132757#msg4132757
nastybit

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:35:45 PM

This has been discussed already so many times that it's almost as spam as premined coins.
Nobody will EVER delete any thread on this board. Period
Hopefully everybody got a brain, it's time to use it
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:38:18 PM

LOLZ not gonna happen. Who gets to decide this? Yeah pick winners or loosers... if they did this back earlier this year the only alt coins we would have had left is WDC and DGC.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
serge79

Activity: 154

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:40:07 PM

Catcoins had zero premine  Wink
BrewCrewFan

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:40:56 PM

This has been discussed already so many times that it's almost as spam as premined coins.
Nobody will EVER delete any thread on this board. Period
Hopefully everybody got a brain, it's time to use it

Yep great thing about cryptos is no one gets to decide who wins or loses. We been down this road so much I just laugh when people start crying about it. Newbs gotta learn what to look for and in fact many premined coins have made it . Sure the market takes a hit right off... but if you hold you can be rewarded greatly.

Free SIGNs giving everyday. Be part, do not miss!.
SqMe5ceYfdcGsRyVpgvpYb6bRLS9j8omvB

XChat : Addy : XYuZESQpeMtZ2wit8nVVnXKGytfiaTBCo6 PubKey : eteshLzeq8Bh54BRjGSunMTc6Ytxtk7HYaSmDYMQn61z
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:49:40 PM

NO!

No censorship here please! That would defeat the whole idea of an open source currency. No secrets, everything out in the open. There are members who keep an eye out and are quite vocal when it comes to new coins. Pre-mined coins are usually called out in the first hour or so of launch. Insta-mined coins are pretty much all of them. The only way I can see getting around that would be low reward at the beginning with a properly working difficulty re-adjustment.
bitdwarf

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

The cryptocoin watcher

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:51:12 PM

Use the ignore button. My front page only has 3 threads unignored. Noobs will wonder why certain coin creators have an orange ignore link.

𝖄𝖆𝖈: YF3feU4PNLHrjwa1zV63BcCdWVk5z6DAh5 · 𝕭𝖙𝖈: 12F78M4oaNmyGE5C25ZixarG2Nk6UBEqme
Ɏ: "the altcoin for the everyman, where the sweat on one's brow can be used to cool one's overheating CPU" -- theprofileth
Nullu

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:52:13 PM

Agree 100%. I would add only that there's no way the moderator would agree to do this, after I read some of his posts. (I say "he" because I don't believe he's actually a 12 year old girl as his profile claims.)

Check out the following post by him from Dec. 25:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=383794.msg4132757#msg4132757

Yep. Free market ethos. I don't like premined coins, but if we didn't have them, we'd be worse off.

MisterGuacamole

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 04:57:50 PM

What's the big deal with premined currencies exactly? (N00b here).
Nullu

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:03:10 PM

Basically it goes like this;

Someone launches a new coin, and keeps a percentage of coins for themselves by writing a large sum of coins into the first few blocks, and mines those blocks themselves before launching the coin. They call it a premine. Sometimes a small premine is done as a way of paying devs, for giveaways, etc, but a lot of the time they're kept to do what is known as a "pump and dump".

A pump and dump means that they first build up hype for the coin so eventually it ends up on an exchange, then dump all of their coins for a big fat profit. Leaving the people who mined the coin with nothing, as after a large dump the coin is extremely devalued to the point of being worthless or even taken off an exchange.

If you look hard enough, you'll see which coins these are.

Romyen

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:08:30 PM

Market instability. If only a few people own almost all the coins, that doesn't inspire much confidence. They can hype the coin, then dump it at a profit, leaving the gullible investors with a loss. How much trust do you have in an anonymous person?
MisterGuacamole

Activity: 30

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:16:23 PM

Basically it goes like this;

Someone launches a new coin, and keeps a percentage of coins for themselves by writing a large sum of coins into the first few blocks, and mines those blocks themselves before launching the coin. They call it a premine. Sometimes a small premine is done as a way of paying devs, for giveaways, etc, but a lot of the time they're kept to do what is known as a "pump and dump".

A pump and dump means that they first build up hype for the coin so eventually it ends up on an exchange, then dump all of their coins for a big fat profit. Leaving the people who mined the coin with nothing, as after a large dump the coin is extremely devalued to the point of being worthless or even taken off an exchange.

If you look hard enough, you'll see which coins these are.

I see, thanks. Since I'm new, I have a hard time detecting scammers and it makes me paranoid. I'll figure it out sometime I guess.

Market instability. If only a few people own almost all the coins, that doesn't inspire much confidence. They can hype the coin, then dump it at a profit, leaving the gullible investors with a loss. How much trust do you have in an anonymous person?

This is what put me back with this new cryptocurrency: we are all anonymous, so at which level can we trust eachother with money?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 05:20:33 PM

+1000. Let's censor everything to protect children newbies from terrorists scammers.

PS: the OP obviously didn't read what he wrote.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: