Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:32:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Open letter to Bruce Wagner  (Read 12043 times)
aq (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:24:31 PM

Bruce,

I and several thousand other people, forum members or not, were very exited and looking forward to this bitcoin conference. Mind you, bitcoin is the internet currency, so the "whole" internet was watching, or actually, not watching, because there was no live feed, no blog posts, no press release, no pictures, nothing.

I don't understand how you can make a bitcoin conference and lock out the whole world. Yes, I heard some lame excuses about a broken laptop, and expensive internet connections. This wouldn't even be an issue in some third world country, so I doubt that this could be an issue in the middle of NYC.

In hindsight this conference looks more like a secret meetup of some secret society. The only thing that was leaked out of the conference is that there will be a few more conferences in the future. Whoever will run this conferences, please don't be selfish - communicate about it, let the world know what is happening while it is happening. Use this past conference outside communication as an example how it should not be done.

If you would have done the publicity that such a conference does deserve, I am sure the exchange rate would have risen by at least 2 or 3 dollars, instead of fallen by almost 1 dollar. Now how to you explain your family and friends that you have just wasted this big opportunity to solidify their bitcoin wealth by 25%. Or do you no longer care, after the mybitcoin debacle? Do you think that after loosing 49% one doesn't want to gain some 25%?

I think it is also a lost opportunity for OnlyOneTV. In the short period of time when there was some sort of live feed, there were more than thousand viewers. Numbers that you never had before. I can only imagine how much more thousand viewers only got the "off air" message, and remember your business now as OnlyOffAirTV. Bit lost opportunity, better don't tell your sponsors about this.

BTW, to make this clear. This is no bashing on you, Bruce. I like and watch your "daily" shows, and as a long time viewer I know that you are exaggerate sometimes, like the fact that you call this a daily show, while in fact there can be a full week between shows. Same thing was you stating that some 15 media outlets will be there, I guessed that this will be not that much, but probably a few. Actually almost no one knows the truth, because there is no information about it.
In fact, you did with your bitcoin conference, what you said is the worst thing to do, stopping all public communication, going incommunicado. Sorry to say this, but this behavior reminds me of some guy named Tom Williams.

Someone claimed that some parts where recorded, so here is hope that you make at least this recording available. I and, I am sure, a few thousand other people would really like to watch this. But to quote you: a day in the bitcoin world is like a week, a week is like a month. So according to you, those recording are already some weeks late Wink

Best regards,
aq
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:34:22 PM

It's really kind of sad that things had to go this way.  I was really looking forward to all kinds of announcements, speeches, etc.  I did watch episode 38, which was fun, but was expecting even more come Saturday.  Unfortunately, it's just been, as aq pointed out, dead silence.

I think that no one is posting summaries of things because there wasn't much to summarize.  So far, every single person that I've seen posting about the conference happenings have just said "it's been great, I've met a lot of good people and had some great conversations."  Seems like it was more of a meetup than a conference.  Hopefully I will be proven wrong about this in the coming days...
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:36:32 PM

There is stuff on youtube, and Gavin gave a speech.  But, maybe it was not well attended.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:38:44 PM

There is stuff on youtube, and Gavin gave a speech.  But, maybe it was not well attended.
Indeed there are now!
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bitcoin+conference&aq=f

Will have to watch some of those later, thanks for the heads up.
BitSense Informatics

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 10:40:38 PM

I'm a big fan of Bruce and the show and I know that he put a lot of effort into putting this conference together.  I wasn't able to attend the conference, but from what I've read from people who attended, it sounded like a lot of the big players were there and great ideas being exchanged.  I'm not so much concerned about the short term price action in the BTC exchange rate, but could it have been done better? Yes, but at the same time this will be a learning experience which will hopefully push the Bitcoin community forward and help to make an event that will be even bigger and more accessible the next go around.

That being said I was really disappointed as well after seeing Episode 38 that I was only able to see a few of the Keynote presentations on Saturday afternoon streaming online and wasn't able to hear much else on what was going on.  I've been asking around hoping to find someone who has posted the Breakout sessions from Saturday and Sunday, but no luck so far. :/  

Colargol

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:43:09 PM

In hindsight this conference looks more like a secret meetup of some secret society.

At the moment I can't help but see it as something like that as well. 

Yes, in terms of a get together for people who are already into bitcoin it seemed like a great event, but in terms of promotion and helping spread understanding among average people it seems to have fallen quite short and may have hurt more than helped.  A preaching to the converted?

And promotion was supposed to be one of the goals of it wasn't it?  I mean with the mention of the media that would be attending and the excitement generated by the promise of big announcements that would be made?   

I was hoping there would be more I could point some of my friends to, who are currently sitting on the fence in regard as to whether this bitcoin stuff is just a scam or techie fad or something. 

Like with the original author I am hoping this feedback helps future events be more successful.   

Please donate a few pennies to the singing and dancing bear:
1KUsZU8GkUAQJH5ryqSFtTJGgFtqJnsedE
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 10:56:21 PM

Bruce,

I and several thousand other people, forum members or not, were very exited and looking forward to this bitcoin conference. Mind you, bitcoin is the internet currency, so the "whole" internet was watching, or actually, not watching, because there was no live feed, no blog posts, no press release, no pictures, nothing.

I don't understand how you can make a bitcoin conference and lock out the whole world. Yes, I heard some lame excuses about a broken laptop, and expensive internet connections. This wouldn't even be an issue in some third world country, so I doubt that this could be an issue in the middle of NYC.

In hindsight this conference looks more like a secret meetup of some secret society. The only thing that was leaked out of the conference is that there will be a few more conferences in the future. Whoever will run this conferences, please don't be selfish - communicate about it, let the world know what is happening while it is happening. Use this past conference outside communication as an example how it should not be done.

If you would have done the publicity that such a conference does deserve, I am sure the exchange rate would have risen by at least 2 or 3 dollars, instead of fallen by almost 1 dollar. Now how to you explain your family and friends that you have just wasted this big opportunity to solidify their bitcoin wealth by 25%. Or do you no longer care, after the mybitcoin debacle? Do you think that after loosing 49% one doesn't want to gain some 25%?

I think it is also a lost opportunity for OnlyOneTV. In the short period of time when there was some sort of live feed, there were more than thousand viewers. Numbers that you never had before. I can only imagine how much more thousand viewers only got the "off air" message, and remember your business now as OnlyOffAirTV. Bit lost opportunity, better don't tell your sponsors about this.

BTW, to make this clear. This is no bashing on you, Bruce. I like and watch your "daily" shows, and as a long time viewer I know that you are exaggerate sometimes, like the fact that you call this a daily show, while in fact there can be a full week between shows. Same thing was you stating that some 15 media outlets will be there, I guessed that this will be not that much, but probably a few. Actually almost no one knows the truth, because there is no information about it.
In fact, you did with your bitcoin conference, what you said is the worst thing to do, stopping all public communication, going incommunicado. Sorry to say this, but this behavior reminds me of some guy named Tom Williams.

Someone claimed that some parts where recorded, so here is hope that you make at least this recording available. I and, I am sure, a few thousand other people would really like to watch this. But to quote you: a day in the bitcoin world is like a week, a week is like a month. So according to you, those recording are already some weeks late Wink

Best regards,
aq

+1 Amen brother..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:28:24 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2011, 11:40:39 PM by FlipPro

Given the extremely difficult circumstances that our community has had to endure over the last several months I'm surprised there was even a conference, keeping that in mind I think the 1st ever World Wide Bitcoin Conference went great. All of the major players were there, and slowly more and more media will begin to surface out from the event.

Could it have been better? Of course, and I am sure that in the future Bitconf will only get bigger and better.
enmaku

Activity: 742

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:32:56 PM

In a world where I could've walked around streaming a feed from my freaking PHONE through the whole thing, I honestly am very disappointed not to have seen a dedicated web site with constant updates, videos, the whole nine yards. The documentation at defcon is better, and that's a conference full of people who try their best not to be documented. Bruce, I love you man but I am disappoint.
Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:37:04 PM

I see no problem that forum whiners are on the bottom of Bruce's priority list. His concern is for the participants of the conference and it seems they're happy.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:42:58 PM

In a world where I could've walked around streaming a feed from my freaking PHONE through the whole thing,

Not in NYC, at least if you are on AT&T

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:46:44 PM

I see no problem that forum whiners are on the bottom of Bruce's priority list. His concern is for the participants of the conference and it seems they're happy.
That's not fair either, many of us were dying to go but simply couldn't afford a trip to New York.

The coverage should have been better, but once again the conference should have never taken place so soon after these events to begin with.

Since Bitcoin is an open-source project that means any one of you could have set up this conference.

So if you think you could have done better then prove it! Smiley good luck...
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:55:11 PM

Wrong, actually. The priority for the conference should have been the success of bitcoin. That would have been greatly aided by much more communication and coverage than there was. I'm sure the conference was a success from the participants' point of view, but from the point of view of the larger success of bitcoin as a whole, too many opportunities were missed.
Jointops420

Activity: 132

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:55:41 PM

The good side is it sounds like some people have made some good friends and got feedback on ideas face to face for the first time. At the moment most of em are getting over the weekend forming thoughts on where to go with new ways of looking at bitcoin problems. Money people are chewing over what to prioritise. Chill out for a few weeks and see what comes of it with applications for the real world improving.
BTW maybe the organisers should go on a few AA conferences they have em as often as you change your undies and some are great. My dad was right into them.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 11:56:28 PM

I realize this.  I would just advise bruce to be more impeccable with his words.  Lots of us like bruce and believe him when he says something.  For example he said the conference would be streaming all day.  Many people sat in the chat room on the site waiting for the stream for hours.  A simple tweet saying that it wasn't gonna happen would have been great.  There have been times where he said his show would start in a few minutes and people wait and wait for it and it doesn't start till hours later.  I don't really want to come off as whining, maybe Bruce just doesn't realize how many people rely on what he says.  You're a popular guy brucy!

Keep up the good work.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2011, 12:07:06 AM

+1

I left very happy and excited for the future of bitcoin.  There seems to be some (vocal) people who did not go, and are saying it did not meet their expectations.  Ok.  Great.  You didn't go.  You didn't help.  You didn't pay.  How much does Bruce really owe you?

Prattler

Activity: 192

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:07:26 AM

Wrong, actually. The priority for the conference should have been the success of bitcoin. That would have been greatly aided by much more communication and coverage than there was. I'm sure the conference was a success from the participants' point of view, but from the point of view of the larger success of bitcoin as a whole, too many opportunities were missed.

Bitcoin conference => more (better) bitcoin products and services => long-term value and success
Bitcoin conference coverage => short-term speculative value

Both are nice, but, seriously, 1st is the priority.
tacotime
Legendary

Activity: 1484

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:17:53 AM

1. Make giant post and website about incredible bitcoin con.
2. Buy shit tons of cheap bitcoin.
3. Hype about the bitcoin con pushes prices up.
4. Sell all your bitcoin on Friday when the hype peaks.
5. Spend everyone else's money partying and getting plastered all weekend in NYC.
6. Swede steals your laptop.

Code:
XMR: 44GBHzv6ZyQdJkjqZje6KLZ3xSyN1hBSFAnLP6EAqJtCRVzMzZmeXTC2AHKDS9aEDTRKmo6a6o9r9j86pYfhCWDkKjbtcns
teflone

Activity: 770

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:31:30 AM

The issue that bugs me is how little info came from the event..

Like it was a roomful of nerds in comfort inn, and the claims of all the media.. was extremely exagerated..

This might as well not happened in the internet world.. no one heard it was happening.. and even the community had no idea as to anything happening the WHOLE weekend..

Whoop dee dooo, you guys are planning another  conference, big surprise.. a cruise..  how nice...

What about educating people ?  OUTSIDE yet alone inside the community..?

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 23, 2011, 12:46:36 AM

Bruce,

I and several thousand other people, forum members or not, were very exited and looking forward to this bitcoin conference.
Mind you, bitcoin is the internet currency, so the "whole" internet was watching, or actually, not watching, because there was no live feed, no blog posts, no press release, no pictures, nothing.

I don't understand how you can make a bitcoin conference and lock out the whole world.
Yes, I heard some lame excuses about a broken laptop, and expensive internet connections.
This wouldn't even be an issue in some third world country, so I doubt that this could be an issue in the middle of NYC.

In hindsight this conference looks more like a secret meetup of some secret society.
The only thing that was leaked out of the conference is that there will be a few more conferences in the future.
Whoever will run this conferences, please don't be selfish - communicate about it, let the world know what is happening while it is happening.
Use this past conference outside communication as an example how it should not be done.

I'll sign this part.

There was no live feed, no blog posts, no press release, no pictures, nothing.

Quoted for emphasis.

How is this even possible?

What were you thinking?

Will anything be forthcoming?

If you would have done the publicity that such a conference does deserve,
I am sure the exchange rate would have risen by at least 2 or 3 dollars,
instead of fallen by almost 1 dollar. Now how to you explain your family and friends that you have just wasted this big opportunity to solidify their bitcoin wealth by 25%.
Or do you no longer care, after the mybitcoin debacle?
Do you think that after loosing 49% one doesn't want to gain some 25%?

This is irrelevant in the long term.

Truly staggering incompetence for a web media production company.

I am surprised and disappointed by the lack of communication with the outside world.

I am sure there would have been volunteers if called for. (If this was the problem.)

Other than that, congratulations on pulling off a presumably successful event. Smiley

PS: Mind telling the world how it went?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: