Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:44:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solidcoin's design choices  (Read 2665 times)
CoinHunter

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 02:54:22 PM

I've read it somewhere in the forum. I think people try these things in testnet to arrive to those conclusions.
And it's a fact that the shorter that constant the more forks/races will be. If there's orphan blocks with the current bitcoin protocol, it must (with the same size of the network) be more forks if that constant is smaller.
I don't know where it is, but I know that because I really wanted to know the reason for the 10 minutes.
And of course, reducing the 10 minutes does nothing for POS payments.

Just because someone posts something on a forum doesn't necessarily make it true.... (ironic eh Smiley )

Firstly to understand how long a block takes to propagate you have to look at
A) The size of the block
B) The nodes capacity sending and receiving
C) The size of the network

In bitcoin (A) is an average of about 25KB right now. B) is quite unknown but if you consider the prevalence of broadband around the world and the minimum connection having at least a 16+KB/sec up and 32KB/sec down speed, which is a fairly conservative estimate. The size of the network, going by my rough estimations is around 3000-5000 nodes or so. Now when a miner sends out a winning block how long would it take given all these factors? Seconds.

If people on dialup need 5 minutes to receive a block then they shouldn't be running a full node in my opinion. They have alternatives, such as ewallets. Also with something like SolidCoin in the future which will have a method for so called "thin clients" to be able to confirm transactions without needing all blocks.

Should everyone be allowed to run a full node? Sure, if they can. Should the network cater to the lowest common denominator? In my opinion no. Like I said, people get stuck thinking about todays problems and not realizing where that path is actually taking them. You need a clear path to your destination if you want to succeed, so firstly you need to know where you want to go. Is your path 90 minute single confirmations?

Try SolidCoin or talk with other SolidCoin supporters here SolidCoin Forums

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 07:00:34 PM

Testnet is is used to generate some coins on an alternate block chain so that you can test your applications to see if they work without risking real bitcoins, it doesn't change any of the rules that govern bitcoin.

The bitcoin changes must be tested somewhere too
The people of multicoin also has test networks and they change parameters.
There's no need to trade the new currency for bitcoins for testing it.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile WWW
August 22, 2011, 07:15:53 PM

I've read it somewhere in the forum. I think people try these things in testnet to arrive to those conclusions.
And it's a fact that the shorter that constant the more forks/races will be. If there's orphan blocks with the current bitcoin protocol, it must (with the same size of the network) be more forks if that constant is smaller.
I don't know where it is, but I know that because I really wanted to know the reason for the 10 minutes.
And of course, reducing the 10 minutes does nothing for POS payments.

Just because someone posts something on a forum doesn't necessarily make it true.... (ironic eh Smiley )

Found it.
Tell me what you think.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
memvola

Activity: 938

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 08:02:59 PM

I was going to write something like that as a reply to doublec. Well, I can't claim to know that there is no need, but creating a new currency to test features may not be so optimal. For starters, you need a few years for the currency to mature and come to a level of ATMs, banks, snack machines and whatnot to actually say if it scales or not. Of course it will never come to that, and we'll still need to build models and make predictions about the system's scalability and act on them. Now, if you already have made these simulations, and came to a conclusion that it is plausible, but there is no way to know other than testing it in real life, then I'd say go for it.

Not to say that there is nothing useful we can learn from this endeavour of course... Smiley
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 22, 2011, 08:07:37 PM

Testnet is is used to generate some coins on an alternate block chain so that you can test your applications to see if they work without risking real bitcoins, it doesn't change any of the rules that govern bitcoin.

The bitcoin changes must be tested somewhere too
The people of multicoin also has test networks and they change parameters.

Yet people have been trading them for the past two weeks now.  Grin

Somehow I keep ending up with those bitcoins at the end of the day.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: