Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:51:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Specs question  (Read 785 times)
goshokk (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 06:17:29 PM

Hi Team,

I have a powerfull gaming laptop asus rog 750 series.

Please find the laptop specs below:

Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 770M 3GB GDDR5 VRAM

1TB HDD 5400 RPM With 120 GB SSD 450 MB/S

RAM 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz

Can I use this confiruragion for mining or it's not profitable.

I do some searchs about it, but I can not find anything. If there is a competent and nice guy to clear this mist in my mind that will be awesome.

Regards,
Goshokk

yosander

Activity: 1

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:35:36 PM

I guess you want mining with your GPU (scrypt)?

Since you have a nVidia card you should use cudaMiner instead of cgminer (it gives you a better hashrate!).

Altough your card isn't listened here, the GTX 680M and the GTX 780M got a nice hashrate for a laptop (150 kh/s).
I'm not really into nVidia cards, but you could give it a try. I suggest you to mine 'new' altcoins with a low difficulty, mining Litecoin for example wouldn't be profitable with a hashrate of 150 kh/s.

Take a look at these websites for an idea of the profitability:
http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency
http://www.coinchoose.com/

Good luck!
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 07:42:23 PM

Very unlikely you'll turn a profit (Nvidia cards don't hash efficiently and you only have one card for an entire rig), and the heat could very easily damage the components in a laptop, maybe even with liquid cooling. If you just want coins without having to go through AML/KYC/BSA garbage, though, might be worth it...
akaCash

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

I learn fast :)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:14:05 PM

Klunge probably said it best, you'll want to be very careful mining on laptops. I've read countless horror stories the last few days about people burning theirs up by overheating while mining. On top of that the nVidia cards are just flat out inferior to the Radeon's when it comes to power consumption vs hashrate.

Any donations greatly appeciated!
BTC = 12aSS1d7Sy6MQDmxSZ59kK5uhVL8UjuKdR
LTC = LLoxWcXWwnnJ5Mo6xQpFuZcodLyyBxoorf
goshokk (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2013, 08:26:33 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info and special thanks for Klunge.

I`ll not experiment with my laptop. It is too risky.

I`ll start mining on my old pc and we'll see if its profitable.

Thanks agai for the time and the advices.

Regards,
Goshokk

infinitybo

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 12:51:16 PM

@Goshokk You can ask whatever you want to know here furthermore you can use the "mining" section.
Beniben

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:15:01 PM

most laptop coudl really overheat from mining, like the battery too unless you figure a good way for cooling it down!
utarinues

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:29:52 PM

Mining with GTX 770M is profitable only with free electricity, but probably not worth the risk. I running the laptop in very cold room when mining, I hope it helps the laptop from overheating
erjc214

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:33:58 PM

change you gpu to ati  Grin
propeng

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:34:31 PM

If you're worried about overheating you can turn down your miner's intensity to a level that doesn't stress your GPU as much (try experimenting with cudaminer's --launch-config option).

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 02:52:13 PM

You can use your CPU to mine.
There is some cpu mined coins as Primecoin, Datacoin, etc. and some coins you can still mine with cpu as RVD coin, Frozen coin, Quark coin etc...
I will seugest you to try with RVD or Frozen coins.
Flashman

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Hodl!

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 03:16:53 PM

As I was saying to another fellow with minimal hashrate available, the best chance of making anything much is to jump on every new alternative coin as it is announced, mine for a few days until you have a couple of hundred at very low difficulty, then move to the next one, holding those for a couple of weeks or so until they establish some trading value or gain popularity and sell then.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: